Windows 7 Backing up outlook 2010?

Beatkeeper

Any advice on backing up my message folders and also contacts as i,m away to do a win 7 reintall, any advice would be great thanks

Welcome to windows7forums.

Outlook settings are in these 4 folders:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Link Removed - Invalid URL

hi cybercore when i open and of those folders i can bot see any trace of a .pst file please see image for when i opened %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Is the outlook data file the important one? Still super confused?

Could you please look for .pst files exactly in this folder:

(Folder options > View > Show hidden files and folders)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the large Outlook.dat (?), I'm not sure what it does.

Hi there thanks for the help, i have looked in the folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
Capture.jpg

And this is what im faced with? Is there something i must do within outlook to create this .pst file as it aint there? Please help me as im goes nuts and need to back up outlook folders and contacts etc, and yes i have unhidden files folders in control panel

Last edited:
Did you check other folders:

Welcome to windows7forums.

Outlook settings are in these 4 folders:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

Outlook 2010 Backup and File Locations

Did you try these links:

i have looked in all the folders but no .pst files. I have tried using the mailbackup but get so far and then get a pop up message saying "outlook2003-2007 is running. Please close and then press ok." Which i do but still get the message, i have even tried shutting down outlook in task manager? Any more ideas?

Check in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OFFICE\

~~~~~~~~~~

You may want to open your system disc C and in the search box type in *.pst.

outlook data file?

Can anyone confirm that this is or contains the .pst info? As i cant find my .pst file anywhere im believe me i HAVE looked everywhere.

Your .pst file should be located here
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
You will have to enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives inorder to see it
Open tools->folder options->view tab from the menu bar or
Click Organize then choose folder and search options then the view tab

Ok i have looked in all possible folders and this is the best i get, i,m presuming the "outlook data file" is the .pst with ALL my info in it as there is no other real options? Will the said file contain all my messages and cotcts, calender etc, as i want to back it up for a reinstall of win 7 as i,m using a RC vesion, thanks for any feedback.
Capture.jpg

Yes that is where all you outlook data is stored, you are not seeing the actual extension because you are hideing extensions of known file types, uncheck that box under tools, folder options view and you will see that it says Outlook.pst on another note that's a pretty large .pst file earlier versions of Outlook, seemed to have some troubles if your .pst file started getting close to 2 gigs, yours is 1.6 gigs, I believe that Outlook 2007 handles larger .pst files pretty well so if you have outlook 2007 installed or are upgrading to it, kindly disregard. But from a shear performance standpoint you might think about archiving and compacting. Just a thought

Back