Windows 7 Backup in case of a crash

Aussie Toni

Hello all,

I'm afraid my questions may frustrate some of you as I am not into computer technology, in advance I ask for your tolerance of my ignorance.

I have just bought a new computer because my old one 'crashed' and it was time to update. This now means I am using Windows 7. I am very frightened of another crash, so went back to the shop where I purchased my new computer and asked for the "Windows 7" disk to boot again in the event of another crash. The salesperson (not a dedicated computer store) told me to burn it myself and that they don't provide the disk. He then gave me very quick verbal instructions.......of course he lost me after the ffirst sentence, and didn't seem inclined to elaborate. (He was busy, but still, I had spent quite a lot of money there)

Is there anybody out there patient enough to give this frustrated granny instructions on how to do this. Speak to me like I am a six year old child and I will understand you:razz:

thanks you

Hello all,

I'm afraid my questions may frustrate some of you as I am not into computer technology, in advance I ask for your tolerance of my ignorance.

I have just bought a new computer because my old one 'crashed' and it was time to update. This now means I am using Windows 7. I am very frightened of another crash, so went back to the shop where I purchased my new computer and asked for the "Windows 7" disk to boot again in the event of another crash. The salesperson (not a dedicated computer store) told me to burn it myself and that they don't provide the disk. He then gave me very quick verbal instructions.......of course he lost me after the ffirst sentence, and didn't seem inclined to elaborate. (He was busy, but still, I had spent quite a lot of money there)

Is there anybody out there patient enough to give this frustrated granny instructions on how to do this. Speak to me like I am a six year old child and I will understand you:razz:

thanks you

are you 100% sure you are not entitled to a disk ?

the simplest way with windows 7 would be to create an image that can be restored :) That should be all you need.
===============================================================

If you do crash follow these instructions to get you back up and running again with a clean restore ......

click create a system image then follow the prompts to burn to a DVD.

In the event of a system crash this image can be restored from boot by pressing the F8 key repeatedly ;

On the Advanced Boot Options menu, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER.

Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

Select a user name and type the password, and then click OK.

On the System Recovery Options menu, click Windows Complete PC Restore, and then follow the instructions. (insert your backup DVD)

Best then start from the basics.
Download this program and install it. On the link, you will see some small pictures, which approximate what you must then do. You will be making a backup. This should be stored in a sparate partition, away from your Windows or, even better, on another hard disk.

It is possible you already have an image program on the computer. It would be called Macrium, Paragon or, I am afraid, several others.

BUT. As you use Windows, it self creates "restore" points which, in the evnt of a beakdown, you can reinstall.

Whichever option you take, do not hesitate to return and someone will guide you through the remaining steps.

Thank you so much for the responses to my dilemma, I really appreciate it. I will have a go, but if it's too confusing I have decided to let my nephew read this and he can do it for me :) cheers

Thank you so much for the responses to my dilemma, I really appreciate it. I will have a go, but if it's too confusing I have decided to let my nephew read this and he can do it for me :) cheers

I think my instructions above where a bit incomplete :redface:

after this bit "the simplest way with windows 7 would be to create an image that can be restored That should be all you need." should be .................

To create a backup image : -

from the start ORB click control panel and select Backup Your Computer

from there click Create A System image pick radio button option "On One Or More DVD's"

click next and follow any more prompts and insert blank DVD's on request :)

Thank you so much for the clear and concise instructions, my system is merrily backing up as I type. Oh, I am indeed a happy chappie :)

Back