Windows 7 Bad drivers from ATI? Weird!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This morning I decided to update the drivers for my ATI Radeon 5870 video card.

I went to the ATI driver download page and selected my card and specified it was for Windows 7 64 bit.

I downloaded the whole package over 90 mb and ran install.
When it completed I couldn't select any resolution over 1600 by 900.

I thought that maybe I had messed up when I selected the driver to download so I reverted to the previous driver in Device Manager and went through the process again.

The same thing happened!

These are not the correct drivers for my card, directly from the ATI site.
Pretty weird.

I guess I'll wait a while and try again.

Mike

Hello Mike
I will really have to crunch to make this long story short.
I have kept tons of documentation on moveable media, just in case, and it applies to ATI's drivers.
I have RadeonHd 5450 and for a long while I had problems with display drivers.
ATI engineers told me the issue is wide spread and each cure is specific to each machine as there are so many variables. They said they cannot replicate issues in the lab so can't apply a fix.
The symptoms vary from a screen that goes blank and the error says the display drivers have failed and are recovering to many others.
I wrote AMD and after BELARC and othe dx's they said the same.
Dell took control of my pc and tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them to no avail and will not talk to me about my warranty.
I have tons of comunication I can pass along if you wish to read up on this chronology but I may add one suggestion.
Try incorporating Driver Sweeper into your reinstallation so while in safe mode, and before installation of the new drivers, you can remove remants of the old drivers.
I have replaced memory, mobo, and 3 cards. Power supply with a new model card would be next if the poblem continues.
Mike, forum administrator, wisely counseled me to leave it alone for now as the problem seems to have resolved itself- maybe with Driver Sweeper.
I wish you luck with ATI drivers. I am not implyng they are bad as I am only an average user and not qualified to do that. I am only saying that can understand your driver issue.
Google this issue with ATI driver woes and it does appear to be widespread from what i can read.
Peter

Hi

I just reverted to the older drivers and since I'm not having any problems I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

This is the first Radeon card I have had. I've alway used Nvidea card before but this card performs great, and when I got this computer was the top of the performance list.

I have always updated my drivers at regular intervals and only occasionally had problems when doing it.

In a few weeks I'll give it another try and see if the problem has resolved it'self.

Mike

I can understand the views, When I jumped ship to Ati last year after 7+ years of Nvidia only rigs, I wasn't a happy bunny about drivers but to AMD's credit they have largely kept on top of the issue with a lot of "preview" builds (hotfixes or betas) and often cured issues, TBH I've rarely seen any driver issues now since about 10.5 builds and only the recent 11.4 mk2 betas caused me any problems beyond minor stuff liek the flash video bug. So far 11.2 and 11.3 have been solid performers.

Hello
I wish I could have reverted to older drivers but mine were the most recent.
Althiugh the new desktop runs quite well now. Knock on.....
I also got a laptop with an ATI video card and it runs beautifully.
I am glad to hear everyone is up and running.
I am curious, did anyone download the Suite or just the single driver downoad?
I ask becasue the new CCC, SDI Stream SDK v2, seems really full of bells and whistles for those capable of using them.
Peter

Yes, I selected the full suite also.
Sorry to report that yesterday I had another error but with my history, Dell had no choice but to send a tech to install a new power supply and an nvidia card. I was offered a high end ATI card but always had luck with nvidia so went with it. It is the same tier card in regards to specs etc.
I'll keep the forum posted and I hope you have success with your issue.
Peter

Back