Windows 8 Beta date Rumor

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
The latest rumor flying around today seems to indicate that February 26th will be the release date for the Windows 8 Beta. The fact that, that is on a Sunday is a little peculiar but does fit with most of the other earlier rumors regarding late Februrary as being the general release time frame.
I'll be waiting and watching.
Regards
Randy

Randy,
Suppose we can put together an internet Windows 8 beta release party?

I'm up for it!

Does that mean that our install of Win-8/DP will go dead? Gosh I hope not,
because I'm having too much fun with it.

:smiley_simmons:

I'll just install the Win 8 Consumer Preview (It's rumored that's what MS is calling the beta release). With all we've learned from the Win 8 DP, it should be fairly easy to set the Win 8 CP similarly to Win 8 DP.

Unless Win-8 CP is fraught with sweeping changes. Eh?

Or, another way to say it.... "If MS doesn't F' it up!"

I say this because, for a new OS, Win-8 is actually pretty nice.

From what I've seen, Win-8 just might become the 'Defacto' replacement OS, for those
folks who crash their HD and don't have an OS backup. More than "when is the next version
going to be released", I'm curious how much life is left in the Win-8/DP version.
Will it go dead, when the Win-8/CP version is released?

On this or some forum, there was a guy who came on and was almost in tears because he
couldn't afford to BUY Windows 7, so he was still running the last Beta, and it expired on him.
And, he was asking, if he installed Win-8/DP, would it also die on him. ???

With more and more people, worldwide, having less and less, a Free OS like the Win-8/DP
that could just 'Live On' would be a great present from MS.
Can we all say, "Fat Chance!" ?

Oh well, time will tell.

:topsy_turvy:

February 26th is tooo long!!! lol ;) Oh well, soon it will be upon us! :) And a glorious day it will be.. Say, does anyone know if the same thing that happened with Windows 7 launch is going to happen with the Windows 8 launch? I'm speaking about the company ( I can't remember their name) that let a certain amount of people host launch parties at their homes and they would send them a Windows 7 launch party kit which included various Windows 7 "knick-knacks", the best of which being a full retail version of Windows 7.. I doubt this company will actually do this again but it would rule if they did! If anyone has any information on this I would really appreciate if you would fill me in.. ;)

The party's at my house!

:smiley_simmons:

lol, ;) The company im talking about is 'House Party'.. I just remembered it, so does anyone know if their doing the same promotion that they did with Windows 7 with Windows 8????

I wonder if MS will turn a blind eye on the leaked builds like they did in Windows 7? It was entertaining checking out the torrent site comments.
Joe

I think Microsoft will stick to the same policies as before. Leaked beta sites will receive warning notices.
I wonder if MS will turn a blind eye on the leaked builds like they did in Windows 7? It was entertaining checking out the torrent site comments.
Joe

So they are bringing out a Windows 8 beta after the developers preview comes to an end? That's good as I and other people who have installed Windows 8 can upgrade or do a clean install to the beta version. When the developers preview expires. Andrea Borman.

Beta is a term that Microsoft is trying to get away from. The Consumer preview will be more than likely the last public version before final distribution to the OEMs, except for technet testers.

Joe

Do you mean for legitimate builds? I always found it funny seeing people rage on the fakes, myself. I'll throw my two cents in this thread as well, and say the 29th.

I meant in Windows 7 there was the public Beta then RC and a lot of leaked builds until the RTM was released. MS turned kind of a blind eye until the RTM came out. It was amusing how obsessed some were with getting the latest build off the torrent sites. At least had a virus added. The comments there could be quite entertaining.
Joe

This whole thing is just a game. Microsoft wants folks to test the Betas (and that is what they are) until they are ready to release the RTM. The fact that you could not go from an RC to the RTM, legally, showed it was just a trial release.

What the heck, I still think Vista was a beta for Windows 7.....

I might play with Windows 8, but it will take some time for any software to catch up, so I will probably stay with Windows 7 for quite a while.

I think the software people will be taking a relaxed line on that, unfortunatey. It has , at this early stage, been found that the improved compatibility mode covers a very significant amount fo legacy OS's. But I hope!.

Actually.Microsoft did do their browsing before the final Windows 7 release, and got a few sites to withdraw their illegal windows downloads. Very little they could do, which would have any marked effect, on torrents, though.
It is a maze of misinformation, but, as I (try) to read it, one of the reasons for calling this a consumer preview, rather than a BEta, is because they are testing overall public reaction, rather than expecting bug feedback. The Beta testing goes on in other selected circles - although, now, it is nearing the final product, for release. (Much later this year?)

The news around the web of the imminent release of the "consumer" is very stron to totally ignore, so, whilst I have to go along with it, I would be really happy, if only to relieve my curiosity, if somone, anyone, could point me to a first hand link from Microsoft to confirm that this is really about to happen!

That is exactly the page that got me googling, Mike. There are several pages, with precisely the same quote, but for the life of me I could not track down the origin. Only hints I got was that the remark, to me anyway, pointed to the metro store beta, not the OS. All the paths I read, lead back finallly to a very similar quote made a while ago on Paul Thurrots site. I guess we will have to wait and see.

It won't be long, another week. I did see a few sites that claimed to have the beta OS, but I stay away from such sites. A few months ago, I read that some of them were actually Windows 7, modified to appear as Windows 8. These type of iso images may contain implanted malware, some of which the best of malware scanners (such as MBAM) can't detect.

I've waited this long, another week isn't going to hurt. Hopefully, I'll like what I see, and Windows 8 will run well on my low spec desktop.

Cat

More to the rumor. February 29th, 2012 9:00 A.M. eastern (New York, New York). But know still nothing in the way of confirmation from Microsoft. But that I believe is pretty typical, seems they enjoy letting the rumor mills do their work for them.

Back
Top Bottom