Windows 7 big problem at making new partition

Mohamed Said

hello
i have a new laptop yesterday but there are one drive c: (500 gb)
to add a new partition i have shrink drive c to 250 GB and i have now 250 GB unallocated space
when i create a new simple volume at this unallocated space i have this message before formatting

"the operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic disk,if you convert the disk to dynamic you will not be able to start installed OS from any volume(expect the current boot volume)
yes-no

what i can do please help me

First step, if you haven't done so already... make a set of system restore disks. The manufacturer should have given you the means to do this from a program installed on the computer.

Next: You need to create a partition in the unallocated space before formatting.

Disk Manager's right click (context) menus should guide you through this.

Are you trying to format the factory disk, Like Dell or HP, etc)

If so, you'll never have access to the factory installed programs that came from the manufacturer.

Am I on the right track?

If not, try using Link Removed due to 404 Error to easily modify, move, size, etc yout partitions.

You'll need to burn the ISO to a CD

Last edited:
Windows 7 has the option to resize, this means you can shrink or extend partitions. The Disk Management in built utility is able to do the job of shrinking and expanding partitions and it does not require any 3rd party utilities. To manage your partitions, open Control Panel and type "partitions" or "hard disk" in the search bar on the right corner and you can see the link "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions" under administrative tools.
This will open up the disk management utility for Windows 7
To shrink any volume, right click on the desired volume and select the option "Shrink Volume". This will open up the Shrink Volume window and you need to specify the amount of space you want to shrink.
If you want to extend any volume in Windows 7, right click on the drive to be extended and select "Extend Volume". In the next step you need to specify the amount of space by which you want to extend the volume.
Please note that extend volume for any drive will work only if there is continuous free space available on your hard disk.

Windows 7

Yes, you are correct, but Windows will not allow you to shrink the partitions to a smaller size (like 30GB) unless you use some thing like Parted Magic.

You are right windows will not allow you to shrink the partitions to a smaller size (link 30GB) unless you use some thing like Parted Magic for this.

Back