Windows 10 Bios Changes in MSI Motherboard

Sonny

Excellent Member
I am posting this in hopes that it might help anyone who has had a problem booting up in there MSI board.
I have a B75MA-G43 MSI Board and found that for a long time I could not boot up after my computer was turned off for an Hour or two. It took me a long time playing around and asking questions till I got brave enough to go into my bios to make changes.

When I did I solved the problem. In my OC section I had to disable Memory Fast Boot which normally is on by default. The next thing I did was to manually configure my dram settings. I have not had a problem since.

I have 32 gb of memory. I did find if I reduced my memory to 16 gb I would not have to make any adjustments. Not sure why it wouldn't work with 32 gb but I didn't want to reduce my ram. Either way that should fix you boot problems if you have an MSI board.

Hi Sonny,

just wondering if you have checked on bios update's for your system?

Yes I have, but so far no new updates. I have thought about calling MSI support and see if there is one in the making or a beta update. Not sure If I would use a beta though. Afraid I might brick it.

My question: Are you sure that particular MSI mobo is fully supported for windows 10? I only ask because, checking the MSI website for that mobo, I only see 2 windows 10 drivers (LAN and Audio). That may be the underlying issue...it's not fully supported for windows 10. And as such, your system is using the generic windows 10 drivers.

When I put Win 10 in and contacted MSI they said it was. This problem I mentioned started in windows 8 and continued on thru 10.

I rma'd three boards before this one with the same problem. Been going on since 2012. Works great now with the adjustments I made. Just don't know why I had to make them.

Yes I have. Like you said there are just two drivers, realtek audio and lan driver. Everything else is 8 or 8.1. Latest bios is 10.5 which I have. I even flashed my bios again just to make sure it was ok.

Since 2012....holy crap! I would have opted for a refund and went with a different model if not a completely different brand instead of RMA'ing it 3 times.

Did you clean install windows 8.1 or upgrade from 7? Did you upgrade from 8.1 to 10 or do a clean install?

This is a different model. They said they didn't have another board like my old one and wanted to refund me $30. No way I wanted a board that would work and they sent me this one which was an upgrade from my old board.

I gotcha...........well at least it's running right for you now. Nice job!

I have no complaints, just didn't know if others might have had the same trouble. I really don't understand why I had to do that, but it does work ok.

Hi Sonny,
Good thread here.:) Personally, I wouldn't use MSI boards if you paid me, as I had major issues with them many years ago. But, many of the gamers here seem to like them.

I would mention a problem I ran into with an older Dell desktop PC that might be applicable to your Board. This PC is about 10 years old, and I did multiple upgrades on it from Win8.1 to W10 including Clean Install. It has 4 slots on the Mobo, which take a max size of 1GB sticks. I had 4 sticks in there, and no matter what I did; I could never get all 4GB of RAM to be recognized by W10. I had the same problem with the W8.1 prior to the upgrade, but didn't pay it much attention to it at that time.

The long story short is that this Dell *Dimension E521* could only see 3GB of RAM (3x1GB sticks) in W10, the most current version. I did flash the BIOS on this to the latest which was still several years ago, 2008 or so. Still no luck. I then purchased a matched set of 2x1GB sticks from Amazon, as the 3rd & 4th sticks were suspect as they came out of an even older XP machine (also Dell). I did run Memtest86+ on all 4 sticks (including the 2 new ones I purchased), and tested them individually with Memtest86+ as well. No errors on individual sticks or all 4. I even swapped the 2 new sticks and put them into DIMM0 & DIMM1 slots, putting the original 2 RAM sticks into the DIMM1 & DIMM2 slots. Problem persisted. It turns out for the Project I was doing, 3GB of RAM versus 4GB RAM didn't really matter as I was simply testing the OS upgrade (W10 AT free upgrade) anyway. This is the background for what I found out, though I still haven't solved the problem on that machine yet, that may be applicable to you. One of my IT friends and I were discussing it last month one day, and he mentioned that there was a known problem on older Mobos (made prior to 2009) where the Mobos would take single or dual channel RAM sticks I the first 2 slots (DIMM0 & DIMM1), but you could not run dual channel sticks in DIMM0 & DIMM1 AND dual channel sticks in the 2nd 2 slots (DIMM1 & DIMM2). The Mobo would only support dual channel sticks in the first 2 slots; but only single channel in the 2nd two slots (DIMM1 & DIMM2)!! :eek: I have yet to find or buy single channel sticks for the 2nd 2 slots and see if W10 will recognize the entire 4GB. I really believe that Slot 4 in that Dell Mobo is just gonzo and it has nothing to do with single channel vs. dual channel.:andwhat: But, as always it would take a lot more work to disprove my friend's theory.:headache:

The takeaway here for you might be a similar situation with your newer MSI Mobo. You mentioned that your boot delay problem abated when you ran only 16GB of RAM versus 32GB of RAM. You didn't state whether you have 2x16GB sticks (2 slots) or 4x8GB (4 slots) configuration in that Mobo, so I'm guessing, but nevertheless are all 2 or all 4 of those sticks Matched? I mean are all your sticks used to get to 32GB the same EXACT Make/Model sticks? Are they all dual channel sticks; or all single channel sticks? See where I'm going with this? If the 2nd stick or the 3rd & 4th sticks are dual channel the same as the 1st stick (or 1st & 2nd stick in the 4 slot config)? Your Mobo might have the same limitation that my old Dell Mobo did. According to my IT friend, this design flaw occurred on non-OEM Mobos such as ASUS and GIGABYTE too. It's possibly that your MSI Mobo has this same issue.o_O You might need to change out your 2nd 16GB of RAM (1 or 2 sticks) to single channel if it's made in the speed your Mobo uses, such as PC3-12800 for example.

Just a thought...
Good luck and let us know if you tried this or it fixed your problem.:clover:
Cheers!:D

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Hi Bigbear, I have 4 slots with 4 matching 8gb sticks. M y motherboard takes a total of 32 gb and my processor is a i5 2500 k which also takes a total of 32gb. By disabling my memory fast boot in the OC section of my bios and manually configuring my dram settings it works great. Just can't have my memory fast boot enabled which it is in the default settings.

Back
Top Bottom