Windows 7 Black screen after POST

Oneris

Immediately after POST the screen goes black and flickers a little. It's an intermittent problem, once in a while I can get the computer to power on completely with no problems, but it's very rare. If it does power on completely, it has no problems after that, I've completely reinstalled windows 7, played video games on it, next day it's toast.

The PC itself is an Athlon 3000+, 3gb RAM, 430W Antec power supply, 2 western digital raptors, dvd drive, 9800GS video card.

-At first I thought it was the power supply failing from running so many peripherals, upgraded to Antec TruePower 750W, fired up normal for a day.
-A friend recommended trying different SATA cables for the hard drives, tried that too with no luck.
-Sometimes after having it powered down and unplugged for a while for cleaning or when I replaced the power supply it will fire up on the first try, so I tried leaving it powered down overnight and trying again in the morning; still nothing.
-Saw one option somewhere online that recommened pressing the power button with power disconnected, that didn't help either.
-I hadn't altered many bios settings(I'm no overclocker either) but I tried playing with a couple of them, nothing, restored to defaults, still nothing.

That's about all I can think of that might help diagnose the problem. I'll probably be getting a new motherboard/cpu in a couple weeks, but I don't want to have to wait just to have a running pc.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome,

I don't mean to brush you off, but this has been posted in the following threads at the very bottom of this page.

Good luck!

Thanks Reg, but none of those threads seem to have quite the same problem I'm experiencing. After the post the screen goes black; before the windows icon, no login window, no alternate boot options. Sorry, I tried to make it clear that I've tried applicable options that I've found in other posts.

I didn't put any drivers in myself, it seemed like it automatically pulled all the drivers it needed on it's own. All I did was check the device manager to make sure it properly recognized what video card I was using.

Clean install, 64 bit. I don't know what build it is.

I would suggest you download the drivers from the official Nvidia site

Go to Start > Run, and type winver. that will show you what version you are using

Actually it's right down in the very bottom right hand portion of your desktop.

In your first posted you stated it was intermittent and that you could get into windows sometimes.

that's why I recommended it.

can you get in at all now?

Yeah, intermittent because it happened a couple times where it just fired up like normal, or after I put in the new power supply it seemed completely normal for that day, was able to shut it down and power it up just fine, but the next day the problem was back. Haven't been able to fire it up at all for a few days now.

Last resort, re-installation.........
How about pulling out the battery or change the jumper.

Back