Windows 7 black screen during log in page.

joecic

Hi, I am using Windows 7 pro 64 bit and today had a new problem. Switched on laptop and as it got to log in page, the screen went black. When I close the laptop lid and re open it, the screen returns to normal for a few seconds and then goes black again. When plugged into an external monitor, this works fine but laptop screen remains black. Tried system restore and start up in safe mode but had no luck. Tried changing resolution settings but this did not work either. Any solutions? I appreciate even links to solutions.

Thanks.

I would think of a couple of possibilities.

The first and easiest is the key combination to turn or off different displays. Could you have it set to use external video only?

The second would be the video driver might need to be updated. Possibly it is not working well with your on board video.

A third might be a hardware problem, but hopefully this isn't it. You would have probably seen some warning signs before the video failed. I suppose checking the bios to make sure the video is set up there might be a good idea.

hmm i had a similar issue before, i dont no what i did to correct this however something is saying MBR/ BCD for some reason, never the less try it :)

if you start your computer and hold F8 , usually you get a lsit of commands , im sure one of them is repair computer, or you can try the last known config first,

if you can get into the repair screen, then you can bring up command promt

the commands to type would be SEPERATELY

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /revbuildbcd

hmm i had a similar issue before, i dont no what i did to correct this however something is saying MBR/ BCD for some reason, never the less try it :)

if you start your computer and hold F8 , usually you get a lsit of commands , im sure one of them is repair computer, or you can try the last known config first,

if you can get into the repair screen, then you can bring up command promt

the commands to type would be SEPERATELY

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Hi,

Here are some tips to fix black screen error on Windows 7 systems with the cursor hang:

Use Windows 7 DVD

You can use the Windows 7 DVD to repair these black screen issues in the system. For this, you need to insert the

DVD in the system and then restart the system. You will be then prompted to press any key to boot from the disk.

After pressing any key, you will reach the “Install Now” screen. In this screen, you need to select the ‘Repair Your

Computer’ options. In the next screen appearing, you will get two options from which you need to select the first

option and then select the OS you installed in the system. Choose ‘Start-Up Repair’ from multiple repair options.

You will get the system restarting itself and you can get the issue resolved with this.

Last known good configuration

It is possible that any serious changes to the Windows 7 system get it in black screen error with the cursor hang.

You can try restoring the system to its last known good configuration to resolve the issue. For this, you need to

tap specific keys to enter the set-up of the system. As the BIOS appear, search out the Restore Default Settings

options. After selecting the option, save it and then exit the menu. You will then get the system to its initial

state. You will get a boot options menu as your computer restarts and you need to select the ‘Last known good

configuration’ from this.

Disconnect any external devices

If still you experience the black screen issue in Windows 7 system, you can check if any of system hardware is

causing the issue. For this, you need to remove each external device of the system and try to start up the system.

You may try disconnecting any unwanted internal devices to fix the issue.

If it's the screens "Backlight power supply" you will not be able to see to do any of the preceding fixes.
At least not on the Laptop's own screen.

A simple test for that is to go into the Bios Setup on boot and see if the screen stays on. It if does,
then it's not the power supply.

Failure of Backlight power supplies is probably the #1 failure in laptop computers.

:cool:

Back