Windows 10 Black screen on Windows 10 startup and shutdown

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
My Windows 10 PC seems to be working OK but I notice that between the Windows 10 splash screen and the user sign on page there's a period of time when the screen simply goes black. The system does get to the sign on page but black screens freak me out a bit and I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this? If so, do you know the cause and how to fix it?

Also when I log off I'm seeing the same thing. With Windows 10 when I shut down there's a brief period when the screen is simply black and I'm now having to rely on the sound of my machine turning off vs. the visual queues that I had under Windows 7. Again, anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

Just a quick update...... I posted this on the Microsoft Community Forum and I got a reply back from a Microsoft Support Engineer who said "We're working on that issue". Evidently, I'm not the Lone Ranger.:ahaha:

Thought I might update this again.....

I had a problem with my PC that forced me to restore my hard drive from an image taken 1 day after I upgraded to Windows 10. After the restore I discovered another problem and while trying to fix that other problem I ran Windows Repair found on www.tweaking.com. The other problem, I won't go into but prior to running Windows Repair my PC was displaying a black screen for about 16 seconds between the Windows 10 splash screen and the Log In screen. After running Windows Repair I'm now only seeing the black screen for about 1 second. Although I cannot specifically tell you what Windows Repair fixed but obviously a drop in the black screen duration time by 15 seconds tells me that this utility fixed something. Before this change I was about ready to spend $200 on a new video card but 1 second is tolerable so I'm saving my money. The other noteworthy thing about this is that after I upgraded to Windows 10 I assumed hat my PC would have been very clean of errors, corruptions, etc. but Windows Repair found a lot of things wrong with my PC after the upgrade so if you're having any problems or suspect that you're having an issue I would run this free utility to see if it doesn't straighten things out.

Back