Windows XP Blocked From Using Hiren'S Boot CD By Strike F1 Error

conceptualclarity

I have used Hiren's Boot CD a great deal, but now I am unable to. Whenever I click Enter on USB Flash Device in the menu, instead of opening up Hiren's Boot CD, it is giving me the message:

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

When I strike F1, it just repeats the same message ad infinitum.

I have Hiren's on a 4GB flash drive. (My old computer won't let me boot from CD or DVD.)

As for the context of this, I have replaced an old hard drive that was clearly on its way to failure with a larger unused IDE drive. The BIOS seems to recognize that there is a new hard drive, but elsewhere I see non-recognition, including within MiniXP on Hiren's before this error shut down my access to Hiren's.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Old Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
New Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE (WD2500JB) 250GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM ATA100 (http://www.goharddrive.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCo...
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus : Advanced System Care Ultimate (Bitdefender engine)
Firewall: Windows Firewall

I would assume the new hdd is too new for xp... have you tried an older hdd (from the tip would be my pick) and just see if the usb now works again?
You could also use an older image software (like acronis 2010) to image the old xp hdd and then "burn" that image onto the new hdd.
p.s. if it is the new hdd you could try making a small (under 100g) partition... this may allow xp to detect it correctly but if you just need xp to run something old then I'd make a v-xp with vmware or hyper-v and just use that.

Thank you. I'm sorry I missed your answer up until now.

I would assume the new hdd is too new for xp... have you tried an older hdd (from the tip would be my pick) and just see if the usb now works again?

You may be right. I would assume that any IDE drive is pretty old. I don't have another IDE handy. Of course USB booting did work well for me while the now-retired drive was installed.

You could also use an older image software (like acronis 2010) to image the old xp hdd and then "burn" that image onto the new hdd.

If there's more you could elaborate on this, I would appreciate it.

I have now gotten my computer to recognize the new hard drive, but not to boot into Hiren's so I can use MiniXP to transfer the image. Please see my post at How do I get Dell to boot to flash drive with new hard drive in computer?

Do you have the IDE hard drive plugged into the master position on the cable and have the jumpers set to either master, single or cable select?

An article I read said set an IDE drive to the same setting as the drive it's replacing. The setting for the one jumper I found on my near-dead drive was CableSelect, which would have been set by the local computer repair shop, who installed it for me.

Is the drive plugged into the end of the IDE ribbon cable or the middle? It should be on the end.

Back
Top Bottom