Windows 7 Blue Screen on Startup, Safe Mode fails...

Bar and Shield

Hey guys.
Im trying to fix my gf's laptop, the thing is 2 months old and has been running fine so far. She got a Blue Screen while checking the weather online 2 days ago and the screen pops up every time windows starts now, making it very hard to troubleshoot the problem. It usually shows during the Welcome screen but sometimes it managed to load the desktop and play the usual startup jingle, but pops before i can do anything (never get to even move the mouse cursor).

This happens in safe mode as well, with and without networking. I tried the following so far;
-Startup Repair (no problems detected)
-Memory check (no problems)
-3 system restores from different dates (going back 2 months)
-No images to go back to
-Cold startup

The only thing that works is safe mode with command prompt, but i can't think of anything that i could do in there...

Nothing has been added or removed from the laptop hardware or software wise between the time the laptop worked and the blue screen. No updates, no new programs, not even a usb drive inserted or removed from the computer.

I have attached a picture of the screen, im running out of ideas here, if any of you has suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,314
Welcome.

Boot to safe mode + networking. Go to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them and attach the zip here to a post.

Hello and Welcome !

Do you have RAID drive / Intel matrix storage ? Stop error 0x70860002 is found associated with iaStor.sys mostly on Toshiba Laptop. Since you said he only have access to Safe mode with command prompt. Go to command then type in DriverQuery see if you have iaStor.sys. If you find it then go to cd Windows\System32\Driver and ren iaStor.sys iaStor.old and reboot the System in Normal mode.

Post us the results
Captain

Update and answer

I can't boot in Safe mode with networking either, and i can't copy files from the laptop to a usb drive from command prompt...

After trying to boot once more i got a different message, iastore.sys failed, but any subsequent tries resulted in the previous blue screen... weird.

Then one try to boot in safe mode with command prompt, which has been the only way to boot so far, somehow failed and a startup repair was automatically started. While my previous attempts at a startup repair resulted in "no problems found" this one found a problem but was unable to fix it. Im attaching a picture of the results.

I just re tried to boot in command prompt and was able to get through, so thats all i got now.

Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 832
Hello and Welcome !

Do you have RAID drive / Intel matrix storage ? Stop error 0x70860002 is found associated with iaStor.sys mostly on Toshiba Laptop. Since you said he only have access to Safe mode with command prompt. Go to command then type in DriverQuery see if you have iaStor.sys. If you find it then go to cd Windows\System32\Driver and ren iaStor.sys iaStor.old and reboot the System in Normal mode.

Post us the results
Captain

Didn't read this before my last post, my apologies.

Tried your idea, restarted in normal and got to the desktop before it blue screened again. Got the iastor.sys failed message, plus this time the crash dump failed, which is new.

CHKDSK found 0 bad sectors

This is a Sony Vaio VPCEB24FD, no raid, no idea what an intel storage matrix is...

Last edited:
Boot to safe mode + networking. Download and install the latest Intel storage driver package from Intel.com and install.

Ok so i had to white flag and turn to my last resort, F10 the thing and do a complete recovery from the partition. Guess what? Blue screened at the "Preparing for first use" screen. Iastor.sys message again, so im done, i give up, i'm sending it in for repairs...

Thank you all for trying to help though, really appreciated.

I don't think you read my entire posts, i can't boot in safe mode with networking, the only thing that works is safe mode with command prompt, how do i install the drivers from there? Plus since the laptop worked fine when we got it, how can a recovery that returns everything to factory settings not solve the problem?

lol....

and the repair they are going to make is to install the driver from Intel.com.

Simple. Put the driver on USB stick, CD or DVD.

Install and it will be fine.

While you're at it, you should update the ethernet and wlan drivers the same way, from the manufacturers' sites.

Didn't recognized my usb stick, so burnt to dvd and managed to install. Still getting the blue screen on startup... I think i heard laughter coming from inside the laptop after that... i think its evil.

Simple. Put the driver on USB stick, CD or DVD.

Install and it will be fine.

While you're at it, you should update the ethernet and wlan drivers the same way, from the manufacturers' sites.

If you'd like, post the actual latest dump and we can be on to seeing all the problems and what they are. Zip it, bring it to another machine then attach here.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Hey guys i've been trying everything you have said and hothing has worked! im on safe mode networking right now with the same problem. I couldnt figure out how to attach a zip so i uploaded the minidump to mediafire.Minidump.zip Thanks a lot!

Hey guys i've been trying everything you have said

No, you didn't:

Code:
3: kd> lmvm iastor
start             end                 module name
fffff880`0129a000 fffff880`014a2000   iaStor   T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: iaStor.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iaStor.sys
    Image name: iaStor.sys
    Timestamp:        Fri Oct 02 15:58:50 2009 (4AC65B7A)
    CheckSum:         00089194
    ImageSize:        00208000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

Im on a differnt computer now... Alright so I downloaded CPU-z to my BSOD computer, I can see the CPUtab with info in it but the spd shows eveything blank... Am I doing something wrong?

No, you're the rare one of many that could actually disregard my signature. You need to update that Intel storage driver to 2010 version, as I've said many, many times.

CPU-Z doesn't work in safe mode, anyhow.

Back