Windows 7 Boot Install Windows 7 from USB

Re: Installing Windows 7 From USB help?

I would probably use an 8 GB flash drive for x64. The instructions say at least 4 GB free space. The x64 .iso gets really close.

Trouble's link gives a lot of good information, as he has mentioned. Hopefully that will work for you.

Remember, you are trying to make an x64 usb version, but your XP is 32 bit, so if it has to run on XP it needs to be 32 not 64, even though the media produced will install x64..
Thats the thing, it has to run on another computer already loaded with win7 64x, which means its ok being setup on a 32 bit system as long as I am not putting it on this system?

Re: Installing Windows 7 From USB help?

Yes, that is the way it has to work. All you are actually doing it transferring files to the USB stick, not running anything in an x64 environment.

I removed the reference to UltraISO until you try the way Trouble posted. It should work.

After installing everything needed to run the Windows7 usb dvd download tool and using the download tool again on my NTFS Formatted Flash drive...which "should" be completely ready to be booted from should it not? I once again got this: "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

My Windows 7 ISO is on my backup external hard drive and when I use the tool it is going from the hard drive to this computer then to the flash drive...would cause any problems? And would it be at all possible to boot from the backup hard drive instead of the flash drive without deleting any of my files on the external? That way I can boot the windows installer, then install windows on the internal in my desktop where windows 7 is already located?
What am I doing wrong???!

Last edited:
I don't remember any need to pre-format the thumb drive, as I recall the tool warns you that any data will be lost and then continues to setup the drive as required. Haven't done it recently so I can't actually say positively.
Is there any chance that perhaps you are using a USB 3.0 device that for some reason isn't backwards compatible, I believe that there are a few out there. Or perhaps you are using a USB 2.0 or older device in a USB port that does not have legacy support enabled? Check the BIOS on the new board for USB settings and enable legacy support to be safe.
Other than that you may want to try Saltgrass's tip about moving to an 8 gig device just in case.

I don't remember any need to pre-format the thumb drive, as I recall the tool warns you that any data will be lost and then continues to setup the drive as required. Haven't done it recently so I can't actually say positively.
Is there any chance that perhaps you are using a USB 3.0 device that for some reason isn't backwards compatible, I believe that there are a few out there. Or perhaps you are using a USB 2.0 or older device in a USB port that does not have legacy support enabled? Check the BIOS on the new board for USB settings and enable legacy support to be safe.
Other than that you may want to try Saltgrass's tip about moving to an 8 gig device just in case.
OMG Trouble!! It was Legacy that was stopping the Drive! I am beyond overjoyed at the moment...just in case something else comes up I request this stays open for a little while, but I thank you trouble. You just made my....week actually.

Glad to hear that you have it sorted now. I think we were collectively running out of ideas. Actually I should have thought of that about twenty posts ago.
We never really close thread here unless it goes way off topic or something else untoward happens, so it will be open.
Good luck and hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Back