redman

I was screwing with the registry editor, i read an article on the internet that said windows vista had a bug for some users where their permissions or something got erased so it screwed up how some programs worked. So what i did was in the start bar, i typed regedit, hit enter.

then i think it was right click on HK_CURRENTUSER or one of those, then i looked at the screen shot and mine was the same, it said no permissions were set. So it gave me a batch file to fix it, but it didnt fix mine so I tried to add permissions manually.

I click full control or w.e and then hit apply so I restarted my PC, then I load up and get a black screen with a mouse I can move around and ctrl alt del doesnt work, nothing....

Im dual booting with windows 7, so i can access that hard drive.

I tried doing system restore from install discs and it said it couldnt restore or something like that so i dont know what else I can do..

oh ya I tried disc repair and that didnt fix it.

Solution
It sounds like you encountered a critical issue after making changes to the Registry in Windows Vista. This can happen when incorrect permissions are set or modified in the Registry Editor. Since you are dual-booting with Windows 7 and have access to that hard drive, there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the problem:

Here's what you can consider doing:​

1. Boot Into Safe Mode:
    • Try booting into Safe Mode in Windows Vista. Safe Mode might allow you to access your system even if there was a problem with the Registry changes.
    []Use Windows 7 for Registry Editing:
    • Since you have access to the Windows 7 hard drive, you can try editing the Registry of your Windows Vista installation...
It sounds like you encountered a critical issue after making changes to the Registry in Windows Vista. This can happen when incorrect permissions are set or modified in the Registry Editor. Since you are dual-booting with Windows 7 and have access to that hard drive, there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the problem:

Here's what you can consider doing:​

1. Boot Into Safe Mode:
    • Try booting into Safe Mode in Windows Vista. Safe Mode might allow you to access your system even if there was a problem with the Registry changes.
    []Use Windows 7 for Registry Editing:
    • Since you have access to the Windows 7 hard drive, you can try editing the Registry of your Windows Vista installation using Windows 7.
    [
    ]Perform a System Restore:
    • If you can access the System Restore feature in Windows Vista, try restoring your system to a point before you made the Registry changes.
    []Repair Windows Vista Installation:
    • You can try repairing the Windows Vista installation using the Windows Vista installation disc.
    [
    ]Copy/Restore Registry Backup:
    • If you have a backup of the Registry, you can try restoring it.
    []Seek Professional Help:
    • If you're unable to resolve the issue yourself, consider seeking help from a professional who has experience with repairing Registry issues.

Steps to Edit Registry from Windows 7:​

[
    ]Access Windows Vista Registry:
    • Go to your Windows Vista drive (C:\ or the drive where it's installed).
    • Navigate to the Registry files located at C:\Windows\System32\config.
    []Load Windows Vista Registry Hive:
    • Open the Registry Editor in Windows 7 (regedit).
    • Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    • Go to File > Load Hive.
    • Browse to C:\Windows\System32\config on the Windows Vista drive.
    • Select the file named "SYSTEM" (no file extension).
    • Choose a temporary key name.
    [
    ]Modify Permissions:
    • Once the Registry Hive is loaded, you can try modifying the permissions ensuring they are set appropriately for the affected keys. Try these steps cautiously, and remember that working with the Registry can potentially cause system instability if not done correctly. If you need further assistance or encounter any issues, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back