Booting windows from USB. Please help.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Installation' started by Edgarsss, May 5, 2014.

1. Edgarsss

Edgarsss Member

Hello guys. I have a real problem that I dont know how to deal with. I try to reinstall windows on my Toshiba Satellite laptop from usb stick. I used Windows 7 USB DVD download tool for booting the usb flash stick. I tried both WIN 7 and WIN 8.1 installation. In bios I set the priority for USB. But when I save and exit, it just loads the old windows every time and no installation starts. I tried also my dvd with WIN 7 installation, it still loads the old win. I have done this before and I know that these installations are good, because they run on my other pc like a charm. Please give me some advice!

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Try tapping the F12 key when you start your laptop. That should provide a boot menu from which you can select your preferred boot device.
    Seems every BIOS manufacturer has a different hotkey or they change it from one year to the next, so your boot menu key may be different and you may or may not see a reference to it during the machine POST screen.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  3. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

F12 should be the one. At least it is for my Toshiba. If you are running windows 8 or 8.1 on it now you will have first disable fast boot.

Trouble likes this.
  4. Edgarsss

Edgarsss Member

I already tried hitting F12. It shows that USB KINGSTON blablabla is in the first place. I press enter and it still loads the old windows.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Can you post a screen shot of you disk management window? Have you created any partitions?

6. Edgarsss

Edgarsss Member

Nevermind. Installed the Windows onto a new dvd - worked fine. Seems like my laptop just doesnt like this particular usb stick.

7. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

Glad you got it up and running.

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

I use Rufus for my bootable USB sticks...it works great. I don't like that windows version.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

rbeldua likes this.
  9. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Some utilities, like the one you used will format the drive as NTFS. If you have a UEFI install, it will not boot to that version because it needs FAT32.

Folks seem to like Rufus, as Bassfisher recommends, but I just use the simple way to make a bootable Flash Drive... Diskpart..

With the Windows 8 DVD, you have to be very fast and hit a key when requested, or it will bypass the DVD.

10. Ankit Jaiswal

Ankit Jaiswal New Member

Try a better option with yumi bootable application for windows. There might be problem with os that some time all os do not support all bootable applications.