Booting windows from USB. Please help.

Hello guys. I have a real problem that I dont know how to deal with. I try to reinstall windows on my Toshiba Satellite laptop from usb stick. I used Windows 7 USB DVD download tool for booting the usb flash stick. I tried both WIN 7 and WIN 8.1 installation. In bios I set the priority for USB. But when I save and exit, it just loads the old windows every time and no installation starts. I tried also my dvd with WIN 7 installation, it still loads the old win. I have done this before and I know that these installations are good, because they run on my other pc like a charm. Please give me some advice!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try tapping the F12 key when you start your laptop. That should provide a boot menu from which you can select your preferred boot device.
Seems every BIOS manufacturer has a different hotkey or they change it from one year to the next, so your boot menu key may be different and you may or may not see a reference to it during the machine POST screen.

Sonny

Excellent Member
F12 should be the one. At least it is for my Toshiba. If you are running windows 8 or 8.1 on it now you will have first disable fast boot.

I already tried hitting F12. It shows that USB KINGSTON blablabla is in the first place. I press enter and it still loads the old windows.

bassfisher6522

Essential Member
Can you post a screen shot of you disk management window? Have you created any partitions?

Nevermind. Installed the Windows onto a new dvd - worked fine. Seems like my laptop just doesnt like this particular usb stick.

Sonny

Excellent Member
Glad you got it up and running.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Some utilities, like the one you used will format the drive as NTFS. If you have a UEFI install, it will not boot to that version because it needs FAT32.

Folks seem to like Rufus, as Bassfisher recommends, but I just use the simple way to make a bootable Flash Drive... Diskpart..

With the Windows 8 DVD, you have to be very fast and hit a key when requested, or it will bypass the DVD.

Try a better option with yumi bootable application for windows. There might be problem with os that some time all os do not support all bootable applications.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.