Windows 7 BSOD after closing games (caused by driver ntosrknl.exe)

giopg13

Hello,

So I just bought my sony vaio (E series, model VPCEA16FA) 3 weeks ago, and lately it's been causing bsod's every after I close a game. (ive only played Assassin's Creed 2, NBA 2k11). So here are the system information:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/15/2010, 11:56:07
Machine name: -VAIO
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VPCEA16FA
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/23/09 11:58:43 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3950MB RAM
Page File: 2240MB used, 5657MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68C1)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68C1&SUBSYS_9071104D&REV_00
Display Memory: 2733 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1719 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
==================================================
REPORT FROM BlueScreenView
Dump File : 111410-20264-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/14/2010 10:59:59 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff800`0309677e
Parameter 3 : fffff880`07e74e40
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70740
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16617 (win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\111410-20264-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

The locale ID of the BlueScreen is : 1033

Please help me solve this, ive attached the dump file below. All your replies are very much appreciated .Thank you very much!:)

Attachments

• dump.zip
    25.7 KB · Views: 331
Hey there, welcome...

1) Update the Broadcom Bluetooth drivers from Sony's site:

btwavdt btwavdt.sys Tue Aug 25 16:35:17 2009
btwl2cap btwl2cap.sys Fri Apr 03 20:28:45 2009
btwrchid btwrchid.sys Tue Aug 25 16:36:32 2009

2) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete this driver:

ArcSoftKsUFilter ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys Mon May 25 04:27:31 2009

Reboot.

3) Update the Realtek HD Audio driver:

RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Mon Nov 30 07:39:43 2009

Run the program, reboot, then run it again:

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

4) Update the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver for your machine. It controls screen brightness and other things, so it may be part of some software. It's up to you to find it, as it must be updated. Please don't ask me exactly how or where, as I don't know. All I know is that it must be updated:

SFEP SFEP.sys Fri Aug 03 01:35:53 2007

5) Update the ATI video driver from Sony's site:

atikmdag atikmdag.sys Wed Jan 13 23:58:19 2010

6) Update PowerISO:

SCDEmu SCDEmu.SYS Sun Nov 08 22:27:29 2009

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

7) Uninstall ESET in safe mode with the tool found here:

ESET Knowledgebase - How do I manually uninstall my ESET security product?

Reboot and install MSE to replace it.

8) If crashes persist, please make sure you have done everything above, then post them. If you have not done everything above, even one step, it is senseless to post new crashes.

Last edited:
Hi again,
I have tried the solutions above, though, halfway through i still receive BSODs. This time, it's caused by other drivers.
1) updated bluetooth drivers
2) the computer doesnt seem to detect any webcam when i remove this. (e.g. when using skype/yahoo messenger webchat) so i decided to restore it for the moment.
3) updated realtek
4)i was about to update the parser driver, but then this new bsod appeared.
5)i used the device manager to update the graphics driver, it was already up-to-date.
6)lastly, i uninstalled both powerISO since it's not much of a use and nod32 antivirus replaced with MSE.
here is the dump file again, and bluescreenview screenshot.
ss.jpg

Attachments

• DUMP file.zip
    25 KB · Views: 315
SFEP driver is still 2007 and a major cause of bsods. Need to update that and it should be directly available at Sony's site for your model. While there, also download and install latest Ricoh card reader driver.

Quick word of advice: Don't ever use the Windows Update nor the Device Manager for drivers. Always the manufacturers' sites.

Bluetooth drivers aren't updated yet.

Uninstall all Arcsoft software in the normal method.

Last edited:
Alright,a few questions though,
Here are the original drivers for sony model:
Original Drivers and Applications for VPCE Series (Windows 7 64-Bit) : Sony Asia Pacific
I just don’t know, where I can find Ricoh Card reader. Im not sure, is it the SD card reader?
Also, if I do remove the webcam driver (ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys), how shall I make it (webcam) work again? (After I remove it, yahoo/skype isn’t able to detect it).
on the other hand, here is a screenshot of SFEP driver update installation. (it didnt update).
ss2.jpg

thankyou very much!

Yes, it is the SD card reader.

SFEP did update somehow because it is showing that it now has 2009 version installed, which is good.

You're welcome.

While you're at the site there, install the Marvell Ethernet and Atheros LAN drivers too.

if I do remove the webcam driver (ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys), how shall I make it (webcam) work again? (After I remove it, yahoo/skype isn’t able to detect it).

That's not your webcam driver, as I believe that ArcSoft doesn't even make hardware.

If the webcam fails to work after uninstalling Arcsoft software, visit the manufacturer's site of the webcam, download and install the latest driver from there.

oh. alright.
so if i simply uninstall all the arcsoft software, would that automatically do step 2 for me?
thanks alot.
i shall reply again if Bsods appear again .

oh. alright.
so if i simply uninstall all the arcsoft software, would that automatically do step 2 for me?
thanks alot.
i shall reply again if Bsods appear again .

Actually,yes. but i have cleared my dump files, so i couldn't post any mini-dump at the moment.
I will if it appears again.
One more question though lol. :D um, What are the chances that this is a hardware complication? Because they might not accept the warranty if they find out i made modifications on the hardware (those steps youve given me previously).

There were absolutely no hardware modifications suggested or posted. The issue is from software. If there are more crashes, you're welcome to post them.

Visit Sony's site and install the latest Sony Firmware Parser Extension driver. (Mentioned in my first post.) This one crashes Windows, from 2007 and needs to be updated:

SFEP SFEP.sys Fri Aug 03 01:35:53 2007

(You can check the date of the installed driver yourself by going to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and looking at its modified date, instead of posting crashes with this driver still included.)

While there, also update the ethernet and wireless drivers.

Last edited:
I did, i downloaded the latest driver before in Sony 's website, but apparently, it does not update since the latest version was 2009.
same goes with the ethernet and wireless drivers.

I did, i downloaded the latest driver before in Sony 's website, but apparently, it does not update since the latest version was 2009. (thats why the date modified was on 8/19/2009)
same goes with the ethernet and wireless drivers.

So do you mean that even if it says it is updated, it is not? It clearly says so that it is all ready to use. Plus it already states in the website how to update.

Back