Windows 7 BSOD after waking from sleep and shutdown

This news has made my day! It may well have been a combination of things but as we were seeing lots of storage issues (as well as memory) it made sense to change some settings and have a look see. (We'd more or less tried everything else lol)

Much thanks for the update and I'm always here if anything should crop up again.

Best of luck! :)

Hey kemical,

I'm not sure what happened, but my comp was running for 4 days straight with no BSODs. This morning I accidentally hard powered-off my comp (thought my power button was set to sleep rather than shut off), which resulted in a "Enter recovery mode?... black screen on start up. Then, my comp blue screened 2x.

I'm thinking the blue screens had something to do with the improper shut off of my machine, but I'm not sure. Would you mind taking a look?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/BSOD/9-18-14.zip

Thanks!
Fil

Hey Fil,
Downloading now.. Wow 112mb? Did you change your dump file settings? Please ensure they set like this:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Hey kemical,

I added the MEMORY.DMP file to this zip (along with two dumps). Thought it might give you some context. I can always reupload without the .DMP file if you need it.

Thanks!
Fil

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c000001d, fffffa800ad53940, fffff8800967ba50, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiSystemServiceHandler+7c )

Followup: MachineOwner
Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000001d - {EXCEPTION}  Illegal Instruction  An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.

Hey Fil,
The above means an app failed to start up correctly and I'd hazard that it's down to possible corruption caused by the hard shut down.
If the bsod has stopped it may well have cleared but personally I'd follow the instructions posted earlier and run a chkdsk as well as an SFC (system file check).If any corruption is around this will hopefully clear it up... :)

Sounds good Kemical. I thought it might be the cause. I'll run disk check and SFC just to be sure, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks again!

Just woke computer again and BSODs returned. Not sure why all of a sudden. I have a hunch that its related to my Z: drive (previously F:). Maybe something with the draw of power to 3 drives and 1 optical? I'm just shooting in the dark, but I'm going to try disconnecting it and seeing if BSODs return.

In the meantime SFC came up clean (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/BSOD/sfc-2.png) and I'm running dsk chk now on all my drives. Here's my recent dump: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/BSOD/9-18-14(2).zip

Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff960001014a7, fffff88008fbbf20, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+d14a7 )

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.
Hey Fil,
have you made any changes since the post that fixed it.... Didn't you add back some drives and return to using XMP profiles?

I also notice these drivers are still old:
mvs91xx.sys Tue Jul 30 07:52:22 2013: Marvel AHCI driver. 2014 version available on motherboard support page:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#driver

AODDriver2.sys Wed Nov 21 07:44:04 2012: AMD Overdrive; also in EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard Known BSOD issues in Win7 remove to test.

Was running chkdsk last night. Here's the BSOD this morning: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/BSOD/9-19-14.zip

I wasn't able to update the mvs91xx driver last time because the download wasn't an exe or msi file. It was just driver files and I wasn't sure how to upgrade it with just the files.

Also, for AODDriver2.sys, is there a way to remove a specific driver? Similar to removing a program? Or do I need to find a program corresponding to the driver and remove that program?

Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, ffffffffff919260, 0, ffc30000}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+487ed )

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.
Hey Fil,
The Marvel driver is actually quite important as the Marvel controller are known to cause issues from to time (my board which is revision 1.2 doesn't have a marvell controller). To install the driver you downloaded you need to access the Marvel controller via the Device manager. Right click on the controller and choose properties, driver and then update driver. On the next revealed box choose 'browse my computer for driver software' then 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer' followed by 'Have Disk'. Use the browse option on the revealed box to find the downloaded driver. Your actually looking for the driver 'inf' and i'd try the Storport folder first.

Also, for AODDriver2.sys, is there a way to remove a specific driver? Similar to removing a program? Or do I need to find a program corresponding to the driver and remove that program?

AODDriver2.sys: This driver can be found in either AMD graphics driver, AMD overdrive (a tweaking app from AMD) and EasyTune6 from Gigabyte which has known bsod issues under windows 7. If you don't have these apps installed then do a search for the driver and if you can't remove it create a system repair point then break it by renaming it to AODdriver2.old.

How did the chkdsk results go?

Have you tried reverting settings as advised above?

So I'm not sure why, but 1 hour after waking my comp after work, no BSOD. This morning, I had disconnected my Z: drive on a hunch that this was the reason for the BSODs. I will report back if the comp blue screens after the next sleep/wake cycle.

Been on my comp for a few hours now, since waking it this morning. It looks like the Z: Drive being connected was the case. I'm not sure if maybe it was drawing too much power or if the actual drive is to blame. Since I ran SeaTools and dskchk on Z:, what can I do to see what's wrong with the drive?

Try checking the SMART data. You may need to enable it in the bios and then use something like speedfan to read the data. The other apps will tell you if a drive is about to fail or not or if you have bad sectors with SMART data you can see if the drive is wearing out.

Just as a side note how full is the drive?

Code:

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88011dbaebc, fffff88005fe24c8, fffff88005fe1d20}

Probably caused by : dxgmms1.sys ( dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL::DiscardAllocationInternal+50 )

Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.
Hey Fil,
looking through the dump file i see this originated in the GPU RAM. What make and model is your PSU?
Nvidia have recently released a new GPU driver try updating.

Did this occur after waking from sleep mode?

Code:

BugCheck A, {fffff6fb7a600300, 2, 0, fffff8000342f2fc}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
Although it say's memory corruption the dump file points to NTFS issues and indeed the other dump file was Bugcheck 124 NTFS issues.

I'd try different ports especially if your not going to update the driver below don't use the ports attributed to the Marvell controller as I mentioned before these controllers have been known for issues in the past.
mvs91xx.sys Tue Jul 30 07:52:22 2013: Marvel AHCI driver. 2014 version available on motherboard support page:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#driver

AODDriver2.sys Wed Nov 21 07:44:04 2012: AMD Overdrive; also in EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard Known BSOD issues in Win7 remove to test.

The thing is you did get the machine to a point where the bsod stopped but only after you had removed several drives and a stick of RAM (as well as XMP settings). Personally I'd go back to square one and start again with that configuration. Once you've achieved a point of no bsod slowly add stuff back but this time only add one thing at a time then test.

I did get another BSOD, but it seems redundant to try and analyze it at this point.

Alright, I just manually installed the Mavell driver through Device Manager and I disabled AODDriver2.sys. I will go back to the following:
  • 1 stick of RAM in Slot 1
  • Default settings for XMP
  • New SATA setting (opposed to IDE) that you suggested earlier

Back