Windows 7 BSOD after windows logo / 2 PC's involved

shadows

Extraordinary Member
Hi there Windows forum
Yet again I'm here for questions to get answered.

Last weekend I decided to build a little work PC for my parents, since the one they had / have now is really old-ish, kinda stoneaged :)

Problem for what happend:
After I build that new PC, I did test if everything worked as it should and cables were plug correctly and did a test on my own harddrive with Windows 7.
Now the only thing had I to do is take their harddrive and plug it in to the PC I build, easy right?
After repluggin their harddrive and insert correctly the cables yet again, I turned on the PC, it worked as a charm (what I thought), then right after Windows 7 Logo it went into BSOD a fast glimpse and went into recovermode. I rebooted and tried to go to the safemode which I know it used to go through without any problems, but it didn't, it came with exact same BSOD, and I couldn't even take a picture of the screen because it went so fast that glimpse.
I did try look up for a solution, but since I was insecure what to do, I had to take their harddrive off and reconnect to their old PC.

The funny part is, I took their harddrive back to my place and connected to my own PC and no problems were found o_O

What have I done wrong to get such BSOD?

The one I build is this one:

CPU: Intel i5 3.30Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Socket 1155 (can't remember exact full name of the board)
RAM: 4GB Kingston 1333 Mhz
GPU: 1024 MB : Nvidia Geforce 210 version (PCI x16)

The one they have now (Stoneage PC)
CPU: Core 2 CPU (I think it was around 2.4Ghz)
Motherboard: Medion MS-7633 Ver.2.1
RAM 4GB 1333 Mhz
GPU: ATI Radeon 256 MB PCI

Hi,
when you built the new machine did you do an 'in situ' install of windows 7?

What i mean is, is the copy of windows 7 that's currently on the new machine been installed when the HDD has been attached to that machine or a different one namely the old pc?
If you installed Windows 7 on the old machine and then tried to attach it to the new one then chances are it won't be happy and blue screens will probably happen (as you have seen).

A brand new machine needs a clean install. Boot from the media (disk or USB) that you have windows on and do a 'custom' install.

I did thought about doing a complete reinstall of Windows 7 on their harddrive, but my local PC store told me it was unnecessary to do a new install of windows of that harddrive and should just had been plugged in since it used the S-ATA cable "plug and play".
But now you say it like that, I remembered I have to do a new install of windows.
My parents wasn't into the idea of doing that in the first place, since most of their stuff on their harddrive is from work also in Chrome (Citrix login systems). I'll give them that feedback when I give them a call later, and get my dad to make a full complete backup of their harddrive to their extern harddrive.

Its not like their pc is up to date. It takes 15 min to even start a window / chrome up xD

I forgot to mention that make sure your copy of Windows isn't an OEM copy which is tied to the machine it's installed on and cannot be transfered.
If you bought Windows 7 retail then chances are you have a full licence which can be swapped to a new machine.

my local PC store told me it was unnecessary to do a new install of windows
They are wrong.

I'll give them that feedback when I give them a call later, and get my dad to make a full complete backup of their harddrive to their extern harddrive.
Whenever you build a new machine is always better to install a fresh copy of the os. If not then the current install will be looking for components which no longer exist and hence the blue screen.

Hope all goes well and please let us know how you get on.. :)

Back