BSOD and I think it's RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by Paski, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Paski

Paski New Member

I've had my machine for quite some time and last month the BSOD started to happen. One damaged windows 10 that I couldn't connect to internet and I hadn't activated restore. Several DLLs So did a clean install but they persist.

It happens when I'm playing a game, it can happen withing an hour or after a long period.
    I've cleaned out my system and did Memtest86+. It started to find errors in Test 6 pretty soon. So I moved the 4 sticks of RAM(1.2.1.2. to 2.1.2.1) and it didn't find anything after that (5 passes and in previous setting it was detecting after 1 pass).
    But last night a new BSOD appeared and after the reboot my mouse was not responding. Though after unplugging it for a sec it worked again. Running a new Memtest86+ for at least 10 passes now.

Right now I would like to know if the RAM is really the issue so I can just order a new set. But I've read that it could be PSU related aswell. I don't know how to test the PSU or analyze it and after 2 weeks I can't seem to put my finger on the exact problem. So asking for some expertise.

Attached Files:

2. nmsuk

nmsuk Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

That you got errors with memtest it's either the memory is bad or misconfigured in the bios. Is always best to test ram sticks one at a time, same memory slot. As it could just be one stick at fault.

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Code:
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 12B, {ffffffffc00002c4, 66a, c63d570, ffff97806b378000}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption

Hi,
    You need to test single sticks with Memtest86 for at least 12 hours. See here:
    Code:
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (12b)
    This bugcheck indicates that a single bit error was found in this page.  This is a hardware memory error.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: ffffffffc00002c4, virtual address mapping the corrupted page
    Arg2: 000000000000066a, physical page number
    Arg3: 000000000c63d570, zero
    Arg4: ffff97806b378000, zero

Testing them altogether may miss errors

Also:
    BIOS
    BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    BaseBoardProduct = P8P67 LE
    BiosVersion = 1013
    BiosReleaseDate = 05/09/2011

This is wildly out of date and the latest bios is numbered: Version 3801

Many of the updates relate to stability and even memory compatibility.

If your unsure on how to update the Bios post back and we can go over the details

#3 kemical, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. Paski

Paski New Member

After the last memtest I've got errors again with all sticks together. I'll test them individually for the next couple of day's and post the outcome.
    I'll flash the BIOS when I get home. I thought it couldn't be the BIOS because I have this system for quite some time, no changes in new software or hardware afaik(maybe a win10 around the end of January if there was one). But I also didn't think of the possibility that new software will need the new BIOS software.

kemical likes this.
  5. kemical

Good luck with the flashing and look forward to your post later..

6. Paski

Paski New Member

Just a small update.
    The bios is now updated. Against your advice I did the 4 pass runs on all sticks hoping it would be filtered out quick. But no errors.
    So now starting with the 12 hour tests. I hope it finds something because I've already read that I might just have to test each stick in each slot. 4x4x12 is about 192 hours of testing. I've been using my system normally in between tests with some old sticks. This way I can at least rule out other components if no BSOD occurs.
    I will post an update after the first 12hour runs. I am using the newer Memtest86 now, v7.2.

7. kemical

Thanks for the update Paski.. Hope all goes well with the testing.