Windows 10 BSOD and I think it's RAM

Paski

I've had my machine for quite some time and last month the BSOD started to happen. One damaged windows 10 that I couldn't connect to internet and I hadn't activated restore. Several DLLs So did a clean install but they persist.

It happens when I'm playing a game, it can happen withing an hour or after a long period.
I've cleaned out my system and did Memtest86+. It started to find errors in Test 6 pretty soon. So I moved the 4 sticks of RAM(1.2.1.2. to 2.1.2.1) and it didn't find anything after that (5 passes and in previous setting it was detecting after 1 pass).
But last night a new BSOD appeared and after the reboot my mouse was not responding. Though after unplugging it for a sec it worked again. Running a new Memtest86+ for at least 10 passes now.

Right now I would like to know if the RAM is really the issue so I can just order a new set. But I've read that it could be PSU related aswell. I don't know how to test the PSU or analyze it and after 2 weeks I can't seem to put my finger on the exact problem. So asking for some expertise.

Attachments

• Report1.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
That you got errors with memtest it's either the memory is bad or misconfigured in the bios. Is always best to test ram sticks one at a time, same memory slot. As it could just be one stick at fault.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 12B, {ffffffffc00002c4, 66a, c63d570, ffff97806b378000}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
You need to test single sticks with Memtest86 for at least 12 hours. See here:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (12b)
This bugcheck indicates that a single bit error was found in this page.  This is a hardware memory error.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffffffc00002c4, virtual address mapping the corrupted page
Arg2: 000000000000066a, physical page number
Arg3: 000000000c63d570, zero
Arg4: ffff97806b378000, zero
Testing them altogether may miss errors

Also:
BIOS
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK Computer INC.
BaseBoardProduct = P8P67 LE
BiosVersion = 1013
BiosReleaseDate = 05/09/2011

This is wildly out of date and the latest bios is numbered: Version 3801

Many of the updates relate to stability and even memory compatibility.

If your unsure on how to update the Bios post back and we can go over the details

Last edited:
After the last memtest I've got errors again with all sticks together. I'll test them individually for the next couple of day's and post the outcome.
I'll flash the BIOS when I get home. I thought it couldn't be the BIOS because I have this system for quite some time, no changes in new software or hardware afaik(maybe a win10 around the end of January if there was one). But I also didn't think of the possibility that new software will need the new BIOS software.

Good luck with the flashing and look forward to your post later..

Just a small update.
The bios is now updated. Against your advice I did the 4 pass runs on all sticks hoping it would be filtered out quick. But no errors.
So now starting with the 12 hour tests. I hope it finds something because I've already read that I might just have to test each stick in each slot. 4x4x12 is about 192 hours of testing. I've been using my system normally in between tests with some old sticks. This way I can at least rule out other components if no BSOD occurs.
I will post an update after the first 12hour runs. I am using the newer Memtest86 now, v7.2.

Thanks for the update Paski.. Hope all goes well with the testing.

Alright, time for an update.
Flashed the BIOS to the latest version.
The memtesting turned out with a couple of errors on 2 sticks. I upgraded my RAM to 16GB. 2 8GB sticks of dual channel 1333MHz. So far no stop error when stressing the system. Though a new problem surfaces. When starting up the pc after plugging in the power the windows logo appears and then a blue screen saying some critical devices are not connected. The HDD doesn't sound like it's working proper on starting and stops making the clicking sound. After 1 or 2 resets I get in windows. Windows is installed on the SSD. This blue screen happens 9 out of 10 times on a cold boot.
Also a new installed program on the HDD stops responding on the first startup but a second try does get it working. The older BSOD where also programs installed on the HDD.

Now I was thinking the HDD is either starting to fail or the PSU. But yesterday after another reset, and a different kind of beep from the motherboard, the USB 3.0 ports stopped working. So the motherboard is now promoted to a probable cause as well.

So far I'm planning for a thorough test. Disconnecting the HDD, and other devices. Running on other RAM sticks and testing with another PSU. Am I on the right track and are there any tips on how to handle this in a good order? And what is proper way to check the SMART status of the HDD?'

Edit: forgot to add that the system doesn't always come out of sleep mode. It stops responding and need to use the power off button and when booting up the system does act as if it were coming out of sleep mode.

Last edited:
Hi Paski,
apologies on the late reply as I'm currently dealing with an illness..
Regarding the new issues, do you have any dump files? If so please post as it may well help
And what is proper way to check the SMART status of the HDD?'
A number of applications will allow you to view SMART data and this page has a guide too:
How to See if Your Hard Drive is Dying with S.M.A.R.T.

Another excellent application is Seatools. This will scan the drive and give either a pass or fail:
My Solid State Drive may be defective, how can I test it?
(It's from Seagate but works on most devices)

After you flashed the bios did you then run the motherboard using the setting 'Optimized Defaults'? This starts you off on a level playing field as it were and it's only after this has been performed should you go in to make any changes like an overclock.

If you could post any new dump files that would be great,, :)

Hi Kemical,
First, you don't have to apologize. I appreciate any help. Also I've got the time. Just want to get to the bottom of it and understand the problems as well.

I assume the dump files would be in the minidump folder but there weren't any new ones with these startup issues. I'll check again when I get home to be sure. The blue startup screen(recovery screen?) I can retry to start windows or try use a recovery. So far the screen tells me winload.exe is either damaged or missing with the following error code: 0xc000000e.
I've also read this could be related to the Fast Startup option but I've tried that with no luck.

After I flashed the bios I had it set to default values. But I never overclocked. Though windows didn't start because of a more severe error (BSOD), but that was because the SATA default is set to AHCI and apparently the OS was installed in IDE mode (never paid any attention to this). Though I just thought of the possibility that the OS SSD is in IDE but the others might be in AHCI mode but haven't tested that either or if it's even possible.
If it is the HDD it could be because I accidentally hit the PC pretty hard with my chair while it was running and I forgot I moved it after I switched RAM. But can't recall if the issue was already there or started there or surfaced later.

I'll be doing most testing this weekend and post the info I can gather.

Hi Paski,
the error code: 0xc000000e. relates to an inaccessible Boot Device and could be why the dump files fail to be created.

As you may have moved something when you accidentally hit the box just check your connections are connected properly and tight.

I'll be doing most testing this weekend and post the info I can gather.

Sounds good.

Lastly check out this article:
0xc000000e: The selected entry could not be loaded

Back
Top Bottom