Windows 7 BSOD and unable to boot

bach

My system is an ASUS P6T with 12 gb of memory and an EVGA 250 graphics card with 1 GB memory. System was running fine with Vista Business x 64. I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro x64 [there were several hic cups during the upgrade process, but I finally got by them]. Running RAID 1 with Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.0.1023.

Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 combined with LWS software seems to cause fatal random crashes in Windows 7 Pro 64bit that give a BSOD. The fatal crash means that Windows will no longer boot and I have to resort to a saved image of my system drive. The crashes occur when I am using the Logitech Webcam Software to create a video. Crash does not always occur, but occurs about 1 out of 5 times I use the software.
This has happened twice now.
The first time my Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit system crashed, when I booted received a message that a needed driver was missing and I needed to repair the windows installation with the windows CD. I selected repair when booting from the install CD and Windows said that it successfully repaired the installation. Then upon reboot I found an option to boot Vista (recovered) in addition to windows 7; apparently Windows 7 CD had repaired my Vista Business x 64 installation that I had saved on a separate disk; but that Vista x64 install was not broken. But since my Windows 7 install was an upgrade from Vista, perhaps Windows just reported its actions incorretly. Anyways I could still not boot to Windows 7. I then received a message that my disk was corrupt and to run chkdsk, which I did and no errors were found. I had to resort to a saved Norton Ghost image to recover.

The second time I got the BSOD and Windows 7 would not boot again and when I tried the repair option after booting from the Windows 7 install CD I got a gazillion error messages, and just aborted and used Ghost to restore a working image.

Any ideas? Is the Logitech Webcam really the culprit?

I have a Windows 7 upgrade DVD and that does not allow a clean install; the install must be done over Vista with the upgrade DVD; when I purchased Vista with the free upgrade, Microsoft did not tell me that I would not be able to do a clean install (grrr), but that is the way it is.

I did reinstall Vista x64 on a new disk and then upgraded to Windows 7 without installing any other programs.

Back
Top Bottom