Windows 7 BSOD and Windows Shut Downs

rray6

First of all, if this is not the right forum, please switch me to it. Over the last several months, I have had a number of Windows shut downs for no apparent reason (often right after I boot up in the morning although at other random times, too). Usually, I am not present when it happens - when I come back to the computer, I note that it has turned itself off. At least two of these shut downs were associated with BSOD - I believe the last confirmed BSOD I had was about a week ago. During this period, I had an outbreak of malware, too. Because of that, I installed and contacted Malwarebytes and, with help, cleaned my computer of all malware (as far as I can tell). It was noted by Malwarebytes support that at least one of the BSOD minidump files (they were checking everything for me) suggested that BitDefender Total Security 2013 was part of the problem so I totally uninstalled BD (using BD uninstall program) and replaced it with MSE.

At this point, I have not had any more BSODs (for a week) but the random shut downs are still happening. I have a 3 year old Dell XPS 15 laptop with Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and 8 GB of ram. I ran the W7F tool and attempted to upload the zipped logs but I got an error message saying there was a problem uploading and to try again (stops at 11 or 13%). I followed the directions to the letter so I am not sure why this is happening. I re-ran the W7F and attempted a second time but still got the same results. Please let me know how to get this zipped folder to you. Again, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to the correct one. Thank you.

Robert Ray

Hi Robert,
apologies about your upload we are looking into the issue. What about uploading the files to the net using something else?
Have you checked your windows hasn't got corrupted by running the system file scanner? You'll need to run an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results

Hello,
I ran the sfc/scannow and it showed no errors or corruption noted. I re-ran the W7F tool and tried again to upload the zipped file. No luck still. I even turned off the firewall to make sure there was no interference from that. I attached a screenshot of the error message. If you have any ideas about other ways to upload this file, let me know. I do have a basic Dropbox account as one option.

Robert

Attachments

• upload error.jpg
    upload error.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 385
The dropbox account sounds favourite at the moment.
I'm unsure as to what the issue is with the uploader and the guy that does (the forum owner) is currently away.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {fffffa801c330600, 0, fffff88008a46828, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for CtClsFlt.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for CtClsFlt.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : CtClsFlt.sys ( CtClsFlt+d828 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the above dump file is blaming a Creative camera driver and is the most numerous of the dump files sent. That being said you also had dump files for network, memory and graphics. Sometime having many different types of dump file can mean a hardware fault but that's by no means certain.
Please remove Bitdefender and install MSE (you can re-install it later). This is because some AV apps can cause issues and MSE is known to be super stable so for this period of testing debuggers prefer it if MSE was in place:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

CtClsFlt.sys Thu Jan 20 03:20:46 2011: Creative Camera Class Upper Filter Driver please update:
http://support.creative.com/

rrnetcap.sys Thu Feb 18 14:18:44 2010: Audials Tunebite Intermediate Filter Driver please update:
http://audials.com/en/tunebite/index.html

In fact looking through your device drivers they are quite out of date and with Laptops drivers are supplied by the manufacturer. If you check the laptops support page you'll notice updates for all drivers:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-l502x/drivers

If you still get a bsod after making the above changes test your RAM. Download the latest copy of Memtest86 here:
http://www.memtest.org/
This guide although a little lod explains how best to use it:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tutorial-how-to-use-memtest.62524/

Post any new dump files.

Interesting. I do not recognize that Creative Camera but I do have a lot of photographic related applications so I will double check and either remove or update. I also think I will get rid of Audials Tunebite since I never use it anymore.

I already uninstalled Bitdefender and am running MSE plus Windows Firewall plus Malwarebytes for all my security. I will probably stay with this configuration. I am in the process of updating drivers and verifying any hardware issues with Dell Tech Support - painful process (in so many ways) but so far no hardware issues are showing up. We ran a long memory test but I may try your suggestion too if I continue to have problems. My warranty with Dell runs out in August so I want to identify any potential hardware issues before then.

I did get two sudden shut downs this morning while using the Dell service app (called My Dell by PC-Doctors Inc). The minidump folder does not show any new entries. Since this is the first time I have gotten two shutdowns back to back (within 15 minutes of each other) and they occurred while using that application, I deemed it suspicious. Also, that app has tried to update itself to a later version twice this morning and failed - might be similar to your W7F app not working. Dell said that that app does background scanning a lot so it could be one of my issues. It is uninstalled now and we'll see if I have any more shutdowns without it.

More later as it comes up. thanks so far.

-Robert

Another interesting point - CtClsFlt.sys (Creative Camera) is the Dell web cam app. Dell may be causing much of my trouble or it may be that my drivers are all out of date (as you said). I am passing this on to Dell and see what they say.

Hi Robert,
what did you use for the memory test? Which application?
As for the other stuff, I'd definitely try updating your drivers using the updated versions but see how you go with Dell support and if I can help further just ask.

As far as the memory test is concerned, I followed Dell's suggestion and rebooted, pressing F12 over and over until it went to a comprehensive testing page. I ran all the hardware and memory tests - it took almost 8 hours. Everything passed.

I will let you know whatever I find out from Dell - they are calling me tomorrow morning to help me update the camera drivers and any other drivers that require it.

-Robert

I believe I am finished with all that Dell can do. We found no hardware issues. All of my drivers have been updated including the Creative Camera and we reinstalled the MyDell app with the latest version. That MyDell app before it quit working reported 105 bad sectors in my WD My Passport Utra drive which I use for backup and data. It was a new drive so I ran the WD Utilities and did a deep scan of that drive. It took almost 6 hours since it was a 2 TB drive. The computer did not shut down or act unusual during this operation. Dell suggested I use the computer normally and report back in a few days unless it crashes again before then. I will do the same here if you want. Since I still can't upload using your uploader, I re-ran W7F a few minutes ago and put the zipped file in my Dropbox (link below). At this point, all I can do is use the computer and see if it behaves or not. If there is anything else you can think of to do, please let me know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1670058/W7F_22-06-2014.zip

-Robert

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 4A, {777c132a, 2, 0, fffff8800c8bab60}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiSystemServiceExit+245 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hey,
the above dump file dated 12th June 2014 ( I couldn't find anything later) occurred under the process of vsserv.exe which relates to BitDefender. I guess I really need to see a new dump file although going on what you say above, have you tried running checkdsk on the drive you mentioned? This guide will explain how to run chkdsk:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
Post any new dump files.

Back