Windows 7 BSOD Bad_Pool_Header 0x19 - Brand New PC

renand

Hello there, I'm new to the forum and I'm having some problems regarding my pc.

This is a new PC (approx 1 month old).
Problem is, I've been getting BSODs every once in a while. I thought it was OK as both my video card and my processor were overclocked, and then I thought there might be something wrong with the overclocking.
However, I've brought both to stock speeds, just to check if it that could the issue, and since them I already got 2 or so BSODs.
Also, they are very rare, like one BSOD a week, but in no particular scenario, randomly.

I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.

It doesn't bother me much as it's not common, but it's very frustrating to have a brand new PC having this kind of issues. It might happen again when I'm doing something important, then I'll get pissed.

Following is the minidump file which I think you might need to help me out.

Just in case, my PC specs is following:
Intel Core i5-4670K @ Stock
Corsair WaterCooler H55
AMD Radeon R9 270
PSU OCZ ModXStreamPro 600W
MB Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
Dual-Channel 2x 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400Mhz
LG DVD-RW
Samsung EVO 840 240Gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001

I'm from Brazil, so don't mind if there's something you didn't understand. Just please ask me again.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    80.4 KB · Views: 232
  • WER-15100-0.sysdata.txt
    198.8 KB · Views: 252
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 19, {22, 8000000000, 0, 0}

GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800034cc100
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800034cc1c0
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff8000343aa38
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+72e6 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
all your dump files were different. Memory management, Bugcheck 124 (hardware error), Bugcheck 3B win32k.sys and the above means you probably have an hardware error. I say probably because you just never know...

AppleCharger.sys Tue Feb 19 04:17:09 2013: GIGABYTE On/Off Charge driver. May cause BSOD on Win7/8 systems - uninstall to test

Rt64win7.sys Thu Oct 25 10:20:09 2012: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

RtNdPt60.sys Mon Jul 20 03:27:32 2009: Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility a later version is on the motherboard website:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4486#driver

Please test your RAM using the app found here:
http://www.memtest.org/
Even though the RAM is relatively new it's still possible to purchase faulty RAM. Also have you checked the RAM's compatibility with your motherboard?

I did just have a look and I don't see your brand in the list:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4486#memory support list
This still may not mean their incompatible. Check you have the settings right in the bios.

Is your SSD running with the latest firmware?

Post any new dump files.

Last edited:
Hi. The older dumps were from when the system was overclocked, I had a 1333Mhz memory back then. When I changed to the 2400Mhz one it might have started to BSOD due to the high frequencies on the processor+memory side, that's why I got it back to stock just to see. The newest file I guess have the actual problems I guess. I'll uninstall/install those stuff and check the memory, although I have ran memtest for quite some time without errors.

SSD is lastest firmware.

Edit:
Uninstalled the On/Off Gigabyte thing.
Installed newest lan driver.
Realtek Ethernet Utility, the lastest from Gigabyte website is 2.0.2.7 which is the same I got here.

Actually when I bought the memory I didn't think there were such a compatibility thing. I knew it after that. I thought if the MB supported 2400Mhz memory it was ok to go. The exact same model isn't listed in the compatibility list, but I also think they've just put the higher ends motherboards in that list. Mine is pretty similar to those, so it might be ok.
Also, it's a X.M.P. profile memory, so I just choose X.M.P. profile in BIOS and the memory/bios itself set everything automatically.

SSD firmware is EXT0BB6Q, which says on Samsung Magician that it is the lastest.

How long should I ran memtest?

Last edited:
Run memtest for a few passes and as for the Realtek driver a later version can be found on the link supplied. If all else fails it might be worth running the RAM without the XMP profiles but see how you go..

So, I had another freeze today. This time I hadn't have any BSOD, it just froze when waking up from suspension mode.
Tried waking the PC up clicking the mouse button, howerver it just turned on mouse lights and kept that way, PC still off. Then I had to power up via the power button on the PC, that time it worked. Thirty seconds later it froze, without BSODs.

Lastest modified minidump file is from 04/17, what should I do?

Also, I haven't run the memtest yet, will do it today.

Edit: Here is the W7F Diagnostic log, just in case.

Attachments

• W7F_27-04-2014.zip
    811.4 KB · Views: 329
You might have a few corrupt system files. Try running the System file checker.
Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Really? This Windows installation is less than a month old. I don't think I have installed anything that might have compromised system files.
Anyway, I'll run it and we'll get back with the results.

Thanks.

Edit:

So, heres the results. Seems nothing's wrong.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Iniciando verificação de arquivos. O processo levará alguns minutos para ser con
cluído.

Iniciando fase de verificação de verificação do sistema.
Verificação 100% concluída.

A Proteção de Recursos do Windows não encontrou nenhuma violação de integridade.

Last edited:
Try checking the event viewer via the admin tools section in the control panel. See if you can tie in the time of the freezing to an event.

So, I have that: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7986080/eventlog.png
eventlog.png

I started the system where it's highlighted. Seems 3 minutes later ir crashed. The crash log says "It just restarted without logging any error first".
I see there are a few Bluetooth errors in there. Is there any possibility it might be causing some trouble? I use a Miniusb Bluetooth Adapter in the front usb.

Attachments

• eventlog.txt
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,598
Amongst other things old drivers, malware and high temps can all cause freezing. Try the adapter in a different slot as well as checking for any software updates.

Well, I'm pretty sure old drivers and high temps aren't the problem.
I actually don't use this Bluetooth adapter, I'll remove it for now.

Although I haven't installed any driver for this Bluetooth adapter because I don't know where to get them. Windows just installed one itself.

Just out of curiosity, have you any more recent dump files after the April 17th one, which is the latest I see? Has the machine continued to Blue Screen or are you now stuck with just freezing issues?
If the machine is no longer Blue Screening nor producing dump files and only freezing, perhaps it would be better to address that issue in more detail.
How often? How long (forever)? What is the nature of the freeze (keyboard behavior, mouse movement, visually on screen)? When doing what if applicable?
And if you are going to post screen shots that are not in english, perhaps you could summarize anything that looks pertinent in english and make everyone's life a bit easier.

Hi. I kinda gave up trying to fix this as the BSODs were very rare. However, recently, I have been experiencing a lot of issues again. I'm also getting BSODs related to the graphics card (atikmpag.sys/atikmdag.sys) and some random ones. Commonly 0x116, 0x1A, 0x124.

As the hardware was brand new, I couldn't figure out which piece was the bad one (or if there was any), nor I'd waste the time to discover as it probably was going to take way longer than living with it.

The last BSOD I got was playing a game, the 0x116 one.

The malware check resulted in nothing. I also tried the Driver Verifier for 24 hours, but nothing happened.

Attached are the latest dumps.

Attachments

• W7F_05-09-2014.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 922
  • RAMMon - SPD Info.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 214
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa800d5a30b0, fffff880048e2dac, 0, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+bdac )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as stated in my original post your dump files are varied ranging from: 0x116 which is a TDR, GPU was shutoff to stop damage, 0x1A Memory corruption, 0x124 machine check exception again usually caused by a hardware error.. (not to mention Bugcheck 24 NTFS issues and Bugcheck 3B which can mean amongst other things a hardware fault too)
As you ran the verifier this also points to a possible hardware problem as opposed to a driver issue otherwise the verifier would have caught the offending driver.
Let's run some basic tests to check for possible faults:
CPU
Try running Intel's diagnostic test:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19792

Stress test with Prime95. Watch your temps please:
http://www.mersenne.org/download/
GPU
Test the cards RAM:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Stress test using Furmark. Watch your temps please:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

RAM
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

SSD
Run a chkdsk
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

As you have dump files from almost every component they all can't be faulty and I wonder if you have a possible short within the case or a loose connection somewhere that only impacts intermittently when perhaps the case is knocked or similar? Food for thought.. Try checking all connections.
Also check within the bios itself. I found when building my first system the motherboard manual to be invaluable and it's handy to have when checking certain settings.

So, I ran all the tests you asked. To summarize: everything passed. I'll detail it further later on.

I have two things in my mind that are bothering me. When I first mounted the case, I had to stretch the 8-pin ATX cable in order to get it plugged in the motherboard. The cable wouldn't pass over the graphic card as it was too short. The 24-pin one was also very short and I'd to do similar with it. Is there any possibility this could have broke the PSU, by pulling the cable? Or maybe that cable is too tight.

The second thing is that also when mounting the case, I couldn't find the right place to mount the motherboard on the case, and I kept moving it a bit within the screw mounts, which could have lead to some scratches around the screw holes in the MB.

So, to the test results.

CPU
Intel's Diagnostic Test passed. Log attached.
I ran prime95 in blend mode for 30 minutes. Temperatures went to 87cº
I ran prime95 in "small FFTs" mode for 22 minutes. Temperatures went to 91cº. Both tests didn't return any error or warning.

prime95_blend.png prme95_burn.png prme95_temp.png

GPU
I couldn't get VMT to work with DirectX for some reason. It passed on OpenGL though. Log attached.
I ran Furmark burn-in for an hour, and max temps were 71cº.

furmark.png

SSD
I ran chkdsk and it showed "no deffective units".

RAM
I ran memtest for 13 hours and it returned no errors.

IMG_20140909_175810044.jpg

Don't know what else to do.

furmark.png IMG_20140909_175810044.jpg prime95_blend.png prme95_burn.png prme95_temp.png

Attachments

• CHKDSKResults.txt
    20 KB · Views: 285
  • CPU_TestResults_Full.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 216
  • VMT.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 608
Hi Renand,
thank you for the excellent update and it looks like all your components are in good order.
As I mentioned it did sound like something was shorting the board out. It's possible those cables you stretched are damaged or not fitting correctly. I mean if the cable is under some real tension then your connection won't be great and also there's a possibility that the wires could snap inside.
You can purchase extenders if your cables are a little short and I'd try that as a possible solution. Here's an example of what I mean:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=1979&groupid=1929
If the cable is snapped inside then it's going to be a new PSU I guess.
As for the scratches you mentioned that shouldn't really matter as the board is usually raised on copper or plastic risers.... Do you have them fitted too?

Yeah, I already looked for those extenders but didn't buy because I couldn't find it here in Brazil. They were also a bit expensive for what they do.
I'm buying these ones now, guess I have no choice:
file_23_16.png

They come with the 24-pin, the 8-pin and also the PCI-E ones for the graphics card which were also tight.

As for the raisers, there were the copper ones which came with the case. However they seemed a bit harsh, and it was exactly there that I kept moving the board in order to fit in. I think that was not enough to damage the board, but we never know.

I'll wait for those to come, tighten every connection and see what happens.
Let me know if you have any other idea. I'm very grateful for your help.

As long as you used the copper risers then fine I just hope there isn't any damage inside the actual cables (I know from past experience that these cables are pretty resilient). The above looks perfect for the job so best of luck and please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom