Windows 7 BSOD Before Installation

psychx

Windows 7 Professional (MSDN)

Windows 7 is currently installed on the PC in question. It is running and working. But, I am trying to format and reinstall via the Windows 7 disk. I put the Windows 7 disk in the CD-ROM tray, close it, and restart the computer. I enter the boot selection screen, and select CD-ROM. Windows 7 setup starts, but as soon as it starts I get a BSOD. This did not happen when I previously installed Windows 7 on the computer.

This is the error code I received when first getting this BSOD:
Code:
IRQL_NOT_LESS OR EQUAL
----
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x803FFFEC, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8BAA1168)
Then the second time I tried, I actually got a very similar code.
Code:
IRQL_NOT_LESS OR EQUAL
----
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x8C03A718, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8BAA1168)

Can someone please help me with this? In the meantime I will be searching around, and will post if I find a resolution. Thank you!

Attachments

• 090510-22822-01.dmp
    136.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 090610-24117-01.dmp
    136.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
A couple of things to try: Remove any adapters and disconnect any hardware devices not needed.

Check system RAM or try installing on just one stick and see how you go..

Lastly, could you post your system spec... Ta. :)

Ok, I just uploaded the 2 most recent crash dump files to the original post. I am actually sending these from the PC that is having the problem. Like I said, it is running good currently - for things like this that I need to do - but am trying to format and reinstall. It is a Dell Dimension E310, but did not come from the factory like this.

1. Check your hdd for errors.
chkdsk /r

(2. Make sure that the iso and the disk are not corrupted.)

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x3, 0xAD74EEE8, 0xAD74ECE8, 0xAD74EEE8)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
Bug Check 0x19: BAD_POOL_HEADER

7870d1283786191-bsod-before-installation-090610-24117-01.dmp
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
process: fltmgr.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x1097, 0x4D005F, 0x8961D800)
Bug Check 0xC2: BAD_POOL_CALLER

~~~~~~~~~~~
Your current installation has a few outdated drivers. When you have reinstalled windows, visit your manufacturer's support for newer versions.

igxpmp32.sys 07.10.2006
Intel Graphics Accelerator

RT2500.sys 20.10.2005
Linksys WMP54G wireless network adapter

VSTCNXT3.SYS 16.10.2008
VSTDPV3.SYS 16.10.2008
VSTBS23.SYS 16.10.2008
Conexant Systems, Inc. belonging to product SoftK56 Modem Driver

e100b325.sys 16.11.2007
Intel(R) PRO Adapter

Last edited:
Ok, I have ran chkdsk and there doesn't appear to be any errors. Also, I have just used this disk to install Windows 7 on another PC and the installation was flawless. Any other ides? Thank you.

Good posts guys.

Psychx, please follow Cybercore's post about updating the above drivers. Please post a new crash dump after, in necessary.

Those old drivers he mentioned absolutely have to be updated. Some are ancient from 2006 like the Intel graphics adapter and the 2005 wireless. Those will definitely crash Windows. If you need more help. we're here.

Thanks for all the input! I am about to update the drivers, but am wondering - will these also be affecting the installation of Windows on the same machine? For example, the fact that it has Windows 7 already installed but I am formatting and reinstalling? Just wondering. Thanks!

I have a few quick questions..

I have been looking for drivers and am unable to find any current drivers for Windows 7.. I was wondering if anyone can help me?

The graphics adapter is: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
The network adapter is: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Also, can I just disable the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter and the (SoftK56) Conexant D850 56K V.90 DFVc Modem? This PC doesn't use dial-up or wireless.

Another thing is, that I found a solution somewhere along the road for the graphics adapter. It is a modded 915 driver. I unpacked the archive and ran setup.exe, which then told me that my installed version is actually newer than this one. But I'm wondering if maybe it just thinks it's newer when it's really not? Thanks for all the help!

Also, I can upload the modded driver if anyone wanted to see it..

I have a few quick questions..

Also, can I just disable the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter and the (SoftK56) Conexant D850 56K V.90 DFVc Modem? This PC doesn't use dial-up or wireless.

Another thing is, that I found a solution somewhere along the road for the graphics adapter. It is a modded 915 driver. I unpacked the archive and ran setup.exe, which then told me that my installed version is actually newer than this one. But I'm wondering if maybe it just thinks it's newer when it's really not? Thanks for all the help!

Also, I can upload the modded driver if anyone wanted to see it..

You can disable the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter and the (SoftK56) Conexant D850 56K V.90 DFVc Modem if you never use them. Device Manager>Disable those devices.

As for the modded 915 driver, feel free to post a link to it, or attach it here, will be uaeful for other people with this problem.

IF ANY MORE BSOD's, do not hesitate to attach them.

Ok, here is the modified 915 driver. I haven't installed it yet, because like I said - It told me it was older than the current driver... but I'm not sure if I actually believe that. Maybe you can help?

Thank you for helping me out.

Attachments

• 8xx-915v3.5.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,091
Actually, I didn't notice a BSOD but decided to check the minidump folder again. There is a file from today in there. I have uploaded it here.

Attachments

• 090810-15787-01.dmp
    726.1 KB · Views: 375
It's an old crash, right? If you get new crashes, attach them here. So, 090810-15787-01.dmp

090810-15787-01.dmp
Bug Check 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
IMAGE_NAME: tunnel.sys
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x9F_IMAGE_tunnel.sys
Microsoft Windows tunnel interface driver

Old drivers:

igxpmp32.sys Sat Oct 07 00:23:59 2006
Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT(R) by Intel Corporation intel.com

RT2500.sys Thu Oct 20 10:00:03 2005
Linksys WMP54G wireless network adapter

VSTBS23.SYS Thu Oct 16 03:30:15 2008
SoftK56 Modem Driver - Conexant Systems, Inc.

e100b325.sys Fri Nov 16 20:53:32 2007
Intel(R) PRO Adapter

Hey cybercore,

Yes, that report was from before I disabled the wireless and 56k modem drivers. I still am not sure what to do with the other 2 drivers, as I cannot seem to find an updated driver for the Intel PRO adapter, and the Intel graphics adapter. I posted that graphics adapter that I found - but it is telling me that it is actually older than the one installed, so I did not proceed with install. Also, I am wondering if XP drivers work with Windows 7 at all? Thank you for your patience!

The other two being intel graphics and intel network. No problem, You are welcome. Try Link Removed - Invalid URL, they may give you a better clue as to Intel devices and drivers.

Also, you may wanna disable any 3rd party firewalls.

Good idea, cybercore. I haven't done that yet. I typically use Linux distributions, so sometimes I forget about some of these things. Thanks!

Let Intel's website scan and install new drivers, in the blue at top:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?iid=gg_support-EN_01+home_downloadctr

Visit Linksys.com for updated wireless driver.

I will definitely try that, TorrentG.

I really appreciate all the help with this. I will definitely be frequenting these forums much more. As soon as I fix everything, I will be sure to update this thread as well. That way if someone else has a similar problem, they can see what we did to fix it.

**Edit: I have a question that is a bit off-topic. But when trying to login to that IntelForums website. Everytime I log in, either in Google Chrome (Chromium Browser) or in Internet Explorer, I get back to the main area and I am not logged in. I have tried about 5 times, and I have verified the login as well. Got any ideas? Maybe it's just me, I'll try restarting. I know I have cookies enabled.

Last edited:
Back