Windows 8 BSOD caused by pci.sys need help fixing

Hmm Not as far as I'm aware. This is the update:
atk_zpse5fbbfd1.jpg

ran the DISM in CMD, it fixed the problem, ran sfc/scannow to confirm it fixed it will do the ATK again when i get home.

sigh well the fun lasted for a month and a half laptop was in sleep mode got another bsod

Attachments

• 012915-20531-01.dmp
    423.6 KB · Views: 388
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffe00138de8e50, fffff800220b5960, ffffe0013893ea10}

Probably caused by : ACPI.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
Still the same error but i also notice drivers which you have still failed to update:

ASMMAP64.sys Thu Jul 02 10:13:26 2009: Asus ATK Hotkey ATK0101 ACPI UTILITY please update:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G551JM/HelpDesk_Download/
Look under ATK.
Try the other ASUS utilities as there is another Hotkey driver under utilities too but there are definitely 2013/2014 updates because i actually downloaded them and checked.

Failing that I feel it's time you used the driver verifier so we can find the culprit once and for all. In order to run the verifier you need to create a system repair disk or usb. This will allow you to boot into safe mode to turn off the verifier in case it starts to bsod at start up. Once you've created your system repair disk run the driver verifier and hopefully the driver will be caught in the corresponding dump file. The guide below is for all Windows versions:
http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/09/using-driver-verifier-to-fix-a-blue-screen-of-death/

I don't know what to tell you then Smurf. All I can do is tell you what's on the dump file.. Anyway try the driver verifier and see how you go. Hopefully the next bsod will catch the guilty party.
Don't forget the system repair disk first.

Hmm.. Well they should be fine and your not in danger of losing them but in any case it's always handy to have a back up, yes? In other words, it's up to you but it wouldn't harm if you made a back up anyway just in case.
:)

Still the same error but i also notice drivers which you have still failed to update:

ASMMAP64.sys Thu Jul 02 10:13:26 2009: Asus ATK Hotkey ATK0101 ACPI UTILITY please update:
Look under ATK.
Try the other ASUS utilities as there is another Hotkey driver under utilities too but there are definitely 2013/2014 updates because i actually downloaded them and checked.

I would like to apologize in advance for posting in the OP's thread, but I am experiencing the exact same issue on the exact same machine.

I have downloaded both the ATK and the USB Charger Plus zips from the ASUS website as suggested. And I clearly read kemical write that the old drivers need to be removed before the new ones are installed. My problem (and I'm guessing that of the OP) is I'm really struggling to figure out where/how to uninstall the old drivers before applying the new ones. Of course I could just go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Asus and delete the folders, but that seems a little brute force. I feel like there should be an elegant method of uninstalling the drivers via the device manager, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where they exist.

Have any of you a suggestion on this front?

And again my apologies to adobesmurf, but I'm hoping my question may help him sort things out as well.

Ah ha! I didn't even consider checking Revo. Slight 'duh' moment. heh
Anyway, that nailed 'em both. Much thanks!

Carry on, and apologies again for the intrusion.

[edit] Just an aside here, but upon closer inspection of the updated ATK Package install, it would seem (unless I did something horribly wrong) the same ASMMAP64.sys driver is installed/included (July 2, 2009). Could be why adobesmurf's dump still shows the old driver. [/edit]

Last edited:
The thing that bugs me about it is that on the support page it clearly says 2014 next to the download and so one assumes naturally that this is the date of the driver release. It does seem a bit odd..

Yes, agreed. Though from my research into Asus bloatware and bad drivers, I can't say I'm all that surprised they'd throw an old driver in a new package.

Uninstalling the USB Charger Plus program was a great suggestion as I've seen multiple posts in various locales describing Aicharger.sys being particularly buggy and a cause of BSODs.

I'm up to date on most of your suggestions in this thread and seem to be running fine. When/if this gets fixed (for me), it will be hard to nail down the real culprit as I've made so many tweaks and changes. A little frustrating. But I'm leaving myself notes as I go of the changes I've made. Should help if I need to go down this rabbit hole again. Eesh. Hope not.

Thanks for the help, and I'll continue lurking this thread. My curiosity has the best of me now. heh

so pretty sure driver verifier helped got 2 new codes hadnt seen before both from the avc3.sys and the i believe the acpi.sys both are attached

Attachments

• 021615-102265-01.dmp
    309.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 021615-179031-01.dmp
    289.8 KB · Views: 380
I'll have to do thiese in a few hours as I'm just off out for an appointment. I'm pretty sure av3.sys is Bitdefender... In fact it is.. See post #11 on what to do.

Code:

BugCheck D5, {ffffcf804d590fe8, 0, fffff800ad2ef600, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avc3.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avc3.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : avc3.sys ( avc3+a9600 )

Hi,
yeah it's definitely Bitdefender which is the probably cause. Both dump files however were linked to memory and it may be an idea to test yours if either updating or removing Bitdefender fails to work.

Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

I keep getting a BSOD when I try and update the graphics card I keep getting a bsod same one I have been getting since day one.

link

Code:

BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffe000ed3b9610, ffffd001402aa960, ffffe000f3796160}

Probably caused by : pci.sys

Hello again. I did wonder what happened after I posted my last reply but I guess nothing has changed. The bugcheck 9F can be caused when the machine moves into a different power state like sleep. Please ensure that 'Hybrid sleep' is enabled in the power options.
If your blue screening when trying to update the gpu driver it might be that it isn't compatible. Laptops get their drivers from the manufacturer as I've already said. You could try uninstalling the previous version first by running the DDU:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.5.1.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

Try updating off the support page:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G551JM/HelpDesk_Download/

There is a chance that your issues may be memory related and i did ask above for you to check the RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Back