Windows 7 BSOD during Win Update, or just whenever, on Gateway NV53 w/ Win 7

mugonzohack

Hi there,

This is a relatively new BSOD issue, but has occurred several times. It most reliably occurs during Windows Update, but has also occurred just during ordinary browsing. Explorer has also stopped unexpectedly several times. Windows is reporting all drivers as up-to-date, the hard disk checker that runs following a crash is not reporting any disk errors, and no new software was installed just prior to the start of the problem. I've attached the most recent dump file. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Josh

Attachments

• 091510-30732-01.dmp
    268.3 KB · Views: 406
Hey there.

Yeah, this is definitely dealing with the hard drive. One moment about that.

Uninstall Daemon Tools in the normal method. Then use the installer/uninstaller found here to carefully remove the notorious sptd.sys from the system:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Reboot and install PowerISO for disc emulation as it will never crash Windows and the emulation part of the software is free forever:

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

--------

Update your video card driver:

atikmdag atikmdag.sys Thu Jul 02 13:45:07 2009

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

-------------

Update your Broadcom ethernet (network) driver:

k57nd60a k57nd60a.sys Sat Jun 20 07:34:49 2009

To do so, visit your motherboard manufacturer's website to download/install.

-----------

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete the following drivers which are too old for Windows 7:

UBHelper.sys
NTIDrvr.sys

Reboot.

------------

Finally, open an elevated command prompt. Run the following command then press enter and follow the on-screen directions:

chkdsk /r

Thanks, TorrentG!

Just to clarify a couple points for a n00b, with the SPTD software, I want to uninstall rather than update, correct?

Also, for some reason, all of my driver download requests to the Gateway support site are timing out. Not sure if it's a temporary issue on their end, but it seems to be affecting all of their support downloads. I haven't yet found a new place to get the latest driver. Would it still make sense to proceed to chkdsk without it?

I've done everything else.

Thanks again,

Josh

the SPTD software, I want to uninstall rather than update, correct?

Yes, definitely uninstall.

It doesn't matter when you run chkdsk, before or after updating the network driver.

You're welcome. Please keep us updated on how it's going or post new crashes should any happen.

Thanks again for your help, TorrentG.

I just ran chkdsk and it completed without stalling or finding any hard disk errors.

It looks like there are a couple of Windows updates to install. This introduces the BSOD more reliably than anything else, though not always. I'll try to install those now, and if it crashes again, re-post with a new dump file.

Beyond that, do you have any other recommendations, like a different disk scan utility? Should I identify the manufacturer of the hard drive and see if I can get their utility disc?

Thanks,

Josh

Another thought, which may or may not be relevant:

This is my girlfriend's computer, not mine, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with its particularities and problems. I only started trying to figure out this issue yesterday. But the one really unusual thing I noticed is that it does not retain restore points for some reason. There were no restore points at all when I first got my hands on it, so I created one right away. That restore point was still there after the very next reboot, but was gone after the second reboot. I have no idea if this could be at all related.

Also, those two critical updates just installed successfully on the first try. I'm rebooting now.

Thanks again,

Josh

The machine is likely well now since you've done the above.

As for the restore points, no, not related. Not sure why it's being deleted. Maybe you've used Ccleaner or similar?

Anyhow, if there are any more crashes please post, but I think you'll be alright.

Back