Windows 7 BSOD from USB card reader

KTac

I have been running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit RTM happily for a few weeks now. All of a sudden my mmachine freaked out. I have an older USB flash memory card reader mounted in a 3.5" bay in the front of my computer. I have had no problems with it conected previously. The other day I needed to put some files on an SDHC card. The aforementioned reader isn't compatible with SDHC so I plugged in a second card reader, a newer external one that supports SDHC. As soon as I plugged it in, BANG! BSOD.

I was running Vista 32-bit prior to 7 with the exact same system configuration except that I added two more gigs of the exact same RAM when upgrading to 7. Both card readers worked fine under Vista no matter whether the were both connected at the same time or not.

Now if I try to start my computer with either one of the two card readers I get the same blue screen while Windows is loading. If I plug either of the card readers in While Windows is running it crashes with the same blue screen.

I am now stuck without the ability to read any flash cards. What really baffles me is that I could understand if Windows 7 didn't like the newer card reader for whatever reason but why won't things work with just the orginal card reader hooked up that I had in the first place when everything was fine before.

What could possibly be going wrong?

The stop message from the blue scren is:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000138, 0x000000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80002C27DCC)

The stop message from the blue scren is:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000138, 0x000000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80002C27DCC)

Hi -

Bugcheck 0xa = a Windows 7 or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at a time it should not have done so.

THE PARMS
#1 = 0x138 = memory address referenced by the object in parm #4
#2 = 0x2 = IRQL
#3 = 0x0 = READ instruction
#4 = 0x80002c27dcc = address that referenced parm #1

It appears to be a driver issue based on the info in your post.

See if there is a driver update for your SD host adapter.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

See if there is a driver update for your SD host adapter.

There never were any third party drivers to begin with as far as the card readers, just Windows defaults. Both card raders are genereic. There's nowhere to look for specific drivers for them. Where do I go from here?

Hi -

Get the dump files from c:\windows\minidump - copy them out to another folder like \documents

Run a DirectX Kernel diag report -
START | dxdiag - if x64, bottom-center of screen "64-bit.." | save as text file - button next to x64

Run msinfo32 - save as NFO file
START | msinfo32 | save in NFO format (NFO = default file ext)

Zip up the memory dumps, the NFO & txt files and attach to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I got it solved. It was a problem with some drivers installed by Acronis Backup & Recovery 10.

I have exact the same problem but I don't have any Acronis software....

My PC is AMD 790GX chipset, USB driver from official 0911 SB driver.
I will BSOD from time to time, especially I have another USB device working.

Anyone can give me some hints to fix it? I cannot open up the card reader to find any specific vendor driver. I was also having no trouble with XP and Vista at all. How come Win7 will fail?

Thanks a lot!!

just found some new observation. I got usbport.sys bsod even no card reader connected.

My config is:
Win7: RTM b7600 64bit
MB: AMD 790GX
Driver: latest 0911. USB driver component is
ATI SB driver + AHCI driver (9.11, USB v1.0.13.88, NB Filter v1.3.0.49, AHCI v1.2.0.125)

if I use USB DVB TV stick to watch TV + external USB HDD to do some heavy disk I/O, I can guarantee to get bsod within 15mins.

Alone watch TV or alone heavy disk I/O has not hang before.

Is there anything I can do?? Thanks a lot!

I would suggest that you make sure that you have the most recent ly update NIC driver - got to the product manufacturer itself - Intel, Realtek, etc...

If it is a 0x9f bugcheck, it is more likely that an IRP is being blocked - usually I see a 3rd party firewall &/or an NIC driver involved.

Back