Windows 7 BSOD in Win 7- Not in Vista

unclefred

Hello,

I have been experiencing Frequent BSOD with Win dows 7 home premium since Nov. 20.
I have a HP desktop with AMD processor and 3 gb of ram. Win 7 has been running fine for well over a year before this problem started to show up. I tried doing a fresh install on a new 500 gb HDD and the system crashed within 2 minutes. I tried removing video card- same problem. Replaced DVD writer and same result. I installed my old Samsung HDD and installed Vista which originally came with the system and ran it for 3 days straight with no BSOD. I can now duel boot, Windows 7 crashes very often, Vista on the 2nd HDD never crashes. I have included this morning's minidump file. I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 120510-26894-01.dmp
    269.8 KB · Views: 380
Hi and welcome.

You have a hardware issue. First, we will check on your memory which may be set unwell in the bios. Post a screen shot of CPU-Z spd and memory tabs.

Also, in this instance only, use the device manager to update your NVIDIA network adapter driver. See if it gives you a file with a 2010 date installed. Reboot.

Hello and thank you for your reply. The nvidia driver was from 2008 and it updated to 2009 but I got a crash after I rebooted. Here are the screenshots you requested. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Memory Tab.jpg
    Memory Tab.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 376
  • SPD 3.jpg
    SPD 3.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 381
  • SPD 1.jpg
    SPD 1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 334
  • SPD 2.jpg
    SPD 2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 333
  • SPD 4.jpg
    SPD 4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 359
again computer powered on for 20 hours with the Vista HDD running with no crash. Switched over to Win 7 this morning and had BSOD within 20 minutes. Also 2 tb external HDD not recognized in Win 7 but works fine with Vista. Any chance one of the SATA controllers on the motherboard has become unreliable? Maybe a memory problem? Any way to test the ram? :frown:

again computer powered on for 20 hours with the Vista HDD running with no crash. Switched over to Win 7 this morning and had BSOD within 20 minutes. Also 2 tb external HDD not recognized in Win 7 but works fine with Vista. Any chance one of the SATA controllers on the motherboard has become unreliable? Maybe a memory problem? Any way to test the ram? :frown:

Is see you have 2 different manufacturer for your RAM make sure they are both compatible try removing Qimonda (512 MB x 2) and just stay with Micron (1024 x 2) and see if you getting blue screen. Follow this article and run the Memory Diagnostic Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hope this helps,
Captain

Hello Captain,

Thanks for your response. I tried removing the memory sticks as you had suggested with the same BSOD. I then tried taking out the 1 gb Micron sticks one at a time and had the same result in every instance. Windows 7 exhibits a Critical error- kernel power 41 in every instance. I then reinstalled windows 7, this time the 32 bit version and I had a crash within 2 minutes. 2 things that have me puzzled- the computer never crashes while installing Windows and I can run Vista 32 bit without ever getting the BSOD. I was thinking that maybe the power supply might be dying but then why would Vista still work? Aside from that I wounder about the integrity of the motherboard or CPU. Windows 7 had run great on this computer for the past year and a half until this problem started. Your help is really appreciated.

I had given up on this system till a few days ago. I brought the computer upstairs to my office and plugged the power cord into the wall outlet. Voila! 10 hours of running Windows 7 and no BSOD. The next morning I plugged my PC into a surge protector power bar. Win 7 crashed within 3 minutes. I tried several power bars and UPS units and the BSOD shows up almost instantly. Plugged into the wall- no problem. Is this posibly a sign of a failing PSU?

I had given up on this system till a few days ago. I brought the computer upstairs to my office and plugged the power cord into the wall outlet. Voila! 10 hours of running Windows 7 and no BSOD. The next morning I plugged my PC into a surge protector power bar. Win 7 crashed within 3 minutes. I tried several power bars and UPS units and the BSOD shows up almost instantly. Plugged into the wall- no problem. Is this posibly a sign of a failing PSU?

Well, that's a sure sign of a failing outlet.

~~~~~~~~~

Now, about your RAM, you got 2 different brands and good that their specs are identical. 666Mhz 5-5-5-15. Your Dram frequency is currently 624Mhz whch is not good at all. If "auto" in the bios does not set it right, set it manually 666Mhz.

thank you for your responses. I tried 2 things today. First I bought a new 550w power supply and installed it about an hour ago. I hit the BSOD within 22 minutes. I just took out all of the ram sticks and put in 2 brand new 1 gb sticks of memory. If the system does not stabilize then the only 2 components I didn't swap out are the CPU and the motherboard.
as stated earlier these BSOD problems are only in Windows 7 as VISTA 32 bit seems t run trouble free. Previously Windows 7 ran fine on this computer for well over a year.

more info- new ram crashes as well in Windows 7. I decided to just run this system on Vista 32 which had never caused a BSOD. But this evening I installed a few new updates for Vista and that caused the system to crash shortly after boot-up. I uninstalled the updates and now Vista is very stable. I am now totally lost?????? Any other ideas?

cybercore said:
You got 2 different brands and good that their specs are identical. 666Mhz 5-5-5-15. Your Dram frequency is currently 624Mhz whch is not good at all. If "auto" in the bios does not set it right, set it manually 666Mhz.

1. You said you'd sorted that out, but I'd like to point to it again, just in case.
2. Ensure all hardware clocks in strict accordance with the recommended by the hardware manufacturers.
3. Upgrade or reflash bios.

Back
Top Bottom