Windows 7 bsod problems for the past few months.

skuzzzzy

well,just built my computer a few months ago.

i7 860 cpu
msi p55 gd80 motherboard
g.skill eco series ram 2x2gb sticks
corsair 850hx power supply
thermalright silver arrow heatsink
asus 4850 graphics card

well, ive tried formatting multiple times, different driver versions, installing driver only not catalyst. (was told this was a gpu driver bsod problem)

sometimes bsods happen constant, other times it can be days or even weeks, but one things for certain is that it keeps coming back eventually =\.

ive ran memtest and passed 7 passes, happens when idle/low pc usage when gpu is 50-60c, in game it goes to the high 70c's.

would be very thankful if someone could help me solve this problem for me.
heres a link to the thread on another site, incase you can find more usuaful information.
Computer keeps bsoding. - Windows 7 Forums

also i did borrow another video card from my friend, it has constant display error popups followed by black screen of death, and bsods. both are ati, not sure of model on other card.

Attachments

• minidmp.zip
    243.8 KB · Views: 266
Hello and welcome.

Your video card might be defective as you are getting 0x116 tdr timeout errors.
Update the bios to newest for the motherboard, which is a must here.

Another must for testing/troubleshooting purposes is to remove Avast in safe mode using the tool found here:

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe

Reboot to normal mode, install MSE to replace it, then update your video card driver:

atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue Aug 03 21:39:08 2010

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

ive had bsods even while doing the final steps of windows installtion, when formatting before avast is installed.

my motherboards bios are completely updated, i will replace avast in a bit before bed.

Yep, as I've said, likely defective card. Those steps above are simply for troubleshooting purposes to be certain.

If 0x116 errors continue after that, scan the machine with Malwarebytes. If it finds anything, let it remove it.

If errors still happen, replace the card.

i originally thought it was card, however i borrowed another card from a friend when i was having bsod's while installing windows. when i put it in i was able to format correctly, however it would continue to popup "display driver error" messages on the lower right of my screen. followed by black screens of death and bsods, which led me to believe maybe it was motherboard or just my computer rejecting ati drivers totally.

weird for problems with both cards =\.

Nah, computers don't reject drivers and motherboards don't cause 0x116 tdr timeouts. (You can set the Optimized Defaults in the bios to make sure things there are well.)

Every dump you posted was a video error, mostly 0x116, one or two 0x119s which is basically the same thing.

You can try using Driver Sweeper from Guru3d.com to clear all ATI stuff in safe mode. Then reboot to normal and install the latest driver again from the link above.

But unfortunately, it has little to no chance of success because there is something wrong with the video card....it could involve heat or too much of it in the case, but that is also unlikely.

ok well hopefully a new card solves this. the 4850 is actually another friend of mines card. he was letting me borrow till the 6950 comes out. i started thinking about going gtx 470 instead thinking it was just ati's fault. so i guess ill just get 6950 since you believe its the card itself. pretty sure the 4850 is still under warranty, if not i gotta buy that aswell since he will blame me, even though ive had problems since receiving the card.

ok well hopefully a new card solves this. the 4850 is actually another friend of mines card. he was letting me borrow till the 6950 comes out. i started thinking about going gtx 470 instead thinking it was just ati's fault. so i guess ill just get 6950 since you believe its the card itself. pretty sure the 4850 is still under warranty, if not i gotta buy that aswell since he will blame me, even though ive had problems since receiving the card.

hey on another forum i had told the user that when my computer is off for hours/days that when i turn it on theres 100% always a instant bsod. then when i restart it runs fine and get that regular occasional bsod.

heres what he said about my bsods,

"It is a video card reset. That can be caused by heat, Power supply problems, BIOS, and others."

"Again it feels like PSU. When you restart you could be getting a surge that BSOD's.

If you can test your PSU on another computer, and test another PSU on yours."

wanted to see what you thought before i requested a rma for my power supply. could power supply be the problem with all my graphic card bsods / startup bsods. let me know what you think, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom