Windows 10 BSOD related to ntoskrnl.exe

TheDevilBroly

I'm having BSOD whenever I run BlueStacks and sometimes when I run a game or Microsoft Edge, but after the crash when the system restarts everything works fine even BlueStacks and I don't encounter any BSOD until I shut down the PC.

After shutdown when I again run BlueStacks the cycle repeats. Most of the time the error code is CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and sometimes MEMORY MANAGEMENT or KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR.

I already checked my RAM with Memtest86 ran 4 passes no errors were reported. Checked my HDD with SeaTools for Windows found no errors.

I'm attaching the W7F.zip file.

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Attachments

• W7F_25-05-2017.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 330
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {6001, ffffffffc00000c0, 16d0000, ffff8205748ae1d0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+1b475 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
as you know you have a number of bugchecks which seem either memory or Hard disk related. I doubt this down to a hardware issue especially after looking through some of your drivers as well as bios.
This is your current Bios version as noted in the dump file:
BiosVersion = 1.00
BiosReleaseDate = 03/18/2016
SystemManufacturer = MSI
SystemProductName = MS-7A15
SystemFamily = Default string
SystemVersion = 1.0
SystemSKU = Default string
BaseBoardManufacturer = MSI
BaseBoardProduct = H110M PRO-VD PLUS (MS-7A15)

Checking your support page you'll see there are at least 6 or 7 updates many of which have updates for memory compatibility.
Support For H110M PRO-VD PLUS | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

If your not too familiar with the flashing process you may want to either get the local pc store to do it for you or a reliable friend

Looking through your drivers I came across this:
BstkDD2R0.r0 Mon Sep 26 17:17:50 2016: This is your BlueStacks which i should mention flagged up as malware when i did a search but if your certain it's a kosher app then continue to use it.
Is the Driver "bstkdrv.sys" Safe or Threat ?
100%
Ranking Type Ranking Value
Safe 0
Threat 100

100% of reviewed files are marked as Threat .
Latest new variant of the file with name "bstkdrv.sys" was discovered 20 days ago. Our database contains 5 variants of the file "bstkdrv.sys" with final rating Safe and zero variants with final rating Threat . Final ratings are based on file reviews, discovered date, users occurence and antivirus scan results.
What is bstkdrv.sys ? | System Explorer
Have you considered trying something else in it's place? (just a thought)

Your chipset drivers are in need of being updated particularly:
iaLPSS2_UART2.sys Mon Oct 17 06:01:44 2016: Intel(R) Serial IO Driver
Support For H110M PRO-VD PLUS | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

Intel Management Engine Driver found on the same page above:
Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

Intel Chipset Driver which again is found on the page above.
Intel Chipset Driver

The above Chipset drivers may look as if they are all for the same thing but they do have different purposes and are very important.

Possible suspect?
KMWDFILTER.sys Wed Apr 29 07:20:48 2009: This is might a mouse driver? A 'Kensington Mouse Works driver'?
If the bsod continues try removing as a test.

Any reason why your C drive partition is only 100GB? Why not enlarge it to say 150GB-300GB? Just for a little more room?

If the bsod continues after the above changes then first create a Windows 10 Recovery disk/USB.

Run the driver verifier which will stress each program on start up to see if it will blue screen. If it does then a dump file is created (usually Bugcheck C4) with the culprits name attached.
This process can also induce the pc to 'boot-loop' which is where the Recovery stick comes in. You can boot from the Recovery stick, enter safe mode and turn the verifier off.

Here's a handy guide:
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

Post any new dump files and best of luck with the testing.. :)

Thanks kemical for your time and helping me . I have updated my BIOS and also installed all the drivers that you mentioned, uninstalled BlueStacks and tried a different program (NOX player), still I got a BSOD when I ran the program. Oh, I also got rid of KMWDFILTER.sys it was a driver for my wireless Logitech mouse which I no longer use.

Now, I'm creating a Recovery Disk and after that I will run Driver Verifier.

I install most of the programs in D drive, I use C drive only for Windows installation, NVIDIA and motherboard drivers and some Microsoft programs, that's why C drive is only of 100GB.

Thank you for the update and good luck with the verifier. If you can please include the dump . :)

kemical

Ok, so I ran driver verifier and it returned a error Driver Verifier iomanager Violation and it was caused by iorate.sys. But, surprisingly there was no dump file.

iorate.sys is a Windows Driver so should I just reinstall Windows 10 or try with any other version of Windows ?

Last edited:
iorate.sys is a Windows Driver
It is indeed:
http://servicedefaults.com/10/iorate/

should I just reinstall Windows 10 or try with any other version of Windows
Windows may have simply become corrupted and you could try running these scans which might repair the kernel:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Ok, so I did everything you asked. sfc /scannow said it found no integrity violations, I also ran DISM but still I got a BSOD. The dump file is attached below.

Thank you for all your efforts.

Attachments

• W7F_26-05-2017.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 305
Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffe284e25e6780, 0, 0, 0}

ETW minidump data unavailable
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
I went through your drivers again just to make sure all looked up to date and came across:

pwdrvio.sys Tue Jun 16 02:43:45 2009: MiniTool Partition Wizard. Please remove as this is too old for win 10 really.
Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

I know you tested before please test the RAM again but this time test individual sticks. I know it's a ball ache but sometimes memtest won't give it up without a fight lol.
If the bsod continues then test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.

If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Ok, I will test the RAM again. I just want to ask can this problem be caused by a faulty Hard Disk ?

As the RAM is new, only my graphics card and Hard Disk is old, and if it is a case of failing Hard Disk then I should start preparing a Backup of important data.

Thank you.

The BSOD's started after 4 months of using the RAM.

I don't think its related to RAM because when the BSOD's started I made a bootable Ubuntu USB and ran it from the USB stick itself and I didn't encounter any problem.

Update: Just got a BSOD with a new driver ahcache.sys. Attaching the dump files below

Attachments

• W7F_26-05-2017.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I made a bootable Ubuntu USB and ran it from the USB stick itself and I didn't encounter any problem.
Means nothing to be honest. Looking at dump files now, what is it your actually doing with this application related to Bluestacks? Perhaps if i had a better idea of what you were using it for might help?

I just had a quick look and see it's for playing android games on the pc.. As i'm unfamiliar with these apps i did some searching and did come across this as a solution although it's more to do with installing the app. Anyhow give it a try as you never know:
[Solved] Fix Bluestacks & NoX App Player Windows 10 Blue Screen Error

Code:

BugCheck 7A, {ffff9286647a5700, ffffffffc000000e, 22b773860, fffff80d80164ad0}

Probably caused by : ahcache.sys ( ahcache!AslLogCallPrintf+25 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
ahcache.sys Sat Oct 15 04:31:36 2016: Application Compatibility Cache (Win 8.1). Updated via the Windows Update unit This app uses a database to identify application compatibility issues and their solutions. Unfortunately nothing is mentioned of which application was causing compatibility issues

pwdrvio.sys Tue Jun 16 02:43:45 2009: MiniTool Partition Wizard please remove this as i'm sure I've dealt with it in the past with previous users and it is a potential troublemaker..

MpKsl54d797d2.sys Wed May 20 02:50:37 2015: This relates to either malware or MSE/Defender. Microsoft security essentials shouldn't be on the system as you have Defender but can you post what your doing exactly for security..

rt640x64.sys Thu Jul 14 10:04:28 2016: Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver please update using he version found on your motherboard support page:

I cannot seem to find your chipset drivers, did you update 'all' those i specified?

Your chipset drivers are in need of being updated particularly:
iaLPSS2_UART2.sys Mon Oct 17 06:01:44 2016: Intel(R) Serial IO Driver

Intel Management Engine Driver found on the same page above:
Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

Intel Chipset Driver which again is found on the page above.
Intel Chipset Driver

The above Chipset drivers may look as if they are all for the same thing but they do have different purposes and are very important.

Use the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller to remove your existing driver, you will need to boot into safe mode to do so properly. This will also remove any corruption within that section:

Install the latest WHQL driver:
NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Once you updated the gpu drivers please run a simple stress test to make sure the graphis are ok. (Bugcheck EF can sometimes be gpu related) FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Hope all goes well.

OK, I performed Memtest for 14Hrs still no errors. Then I clean installed Windows, didn't install anything except for motherboard drivers and Nvidia drivers and Google Chrome still got 2 BSOD.

Attaching the dump files below.

What should I do now ?

Attachments

• W7F_29-05-2017.zip
    476.7 KB · Views: 481
OK, I performed Memtest for 14Hrs still no errors.
Did you test the sticks individually? This can make a difference and testing sticks together can sometimes mask results.

Once you updated the gpu drivers please run a simple stress test to make sure the graphis are ok. (Bugcheck EF can sometimes be gpu related) FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
Did you try this stress test?

Your pagefile is huge and needs changing. Pagefiles can also become corrupted so first disable it and then reboot. When you enable it again set it to the recommended amount. Placing the same figure in both boxes.

I know you ran Seatools but try running a chkdsk /r from an admin command prompt as this will check the drive for bad sectors and if need be repair them.

Lastly if the bsod still continues try enabling your Intel gpu onboard graphics and then remove your Nvidia card. See if the bsod stops as bugcheck EF can often relate to graphics and memory.

Hope all goes well.

I have a single 8GB stick.

Oh, sorry I forgot about the GPU stress test. For what amout of time should I run this test ?

Thanks for your help so far.

Oh, sorry I forgot about the GPU stress test. For what amout of time should I run this test ?
I think it runs for a set amount of time but if not run it for say 20mins or so..

Please don't forget about the chkdsk /r and your Pagefile changes.. :)

Just completed the chkdsk.

Tested the GPU for around 35mins - no BSOD

Made changes to the Pagefile

So, far I haven't encountered a single BSOD hope that it stays that way. Will update you if I get another

Oh, btw here is the change that I made to the Pagefile, is this alright ?

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 388
Well, my happiness was short lived, I got a BSOD again :(.

Going to remove my graphics card now. Hope this solves the problem.

Will update you about what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Damn.. Sorry to hear about the blue screen. Yup try running on just your Intel gpu and see if it helps.. Good luck with the testing..

Back
Top Bottom