Windows 10 BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER ATI (dxgkrnl.sys + hal.dll + atikm

Kaper

Hello,

Please I am fighting with this problem more than 1 year... I got random freezes (99% just in IDLE time, or when i am just browsing via browser)

My HARDWARE:
CPU: [email protected] (Default voltage) + Gelid Tranq. v2,
MB: ASUS M5A97 Evo R2.0
SoundCard: Creative Audigy
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX CL9 1600MHz CL 9/9/9/27
GPU: ATI HD 7790 (Stock)
HDD : Samsung Evo840 120GB
PSU: Zalman ZM-500LX (500W)

What i already tried:
Put everything on STOCK. CPU / RAM + GPU. Reinstall from Win 7 to Win 10 clean install.
Reinstalled ATI HD7790 Drivers. tried install minimalistic Drivers / Beta drivers. Latest drivers, beta drivers, everything...
I set BIOS on default settings, without any OC: CPU, RAM, GPU.
I clean PCI-e slot, all dust from the case....

Thanks for your help
wink.gif

Attachments

• W7F_10-05-2016.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 393
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 100000EA, {ffffe00174ab4080, 0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!TdrTimedOperationBugcheckOnTimeout+24 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this bugcheck means the device driver is spinning in a loop waiting for the hardware to respond. This can indicate a bad card or faulty drivers.

Please remove Avira AV as it has been known to cause issues in the past. Please use the on board Defender as this is ultra stable.

Please remove your current graphics driver using this application. The Display Driver Uninstaller will remove not only this driver but anything else left behind by previous installs. You'll need to to do this is safe mode.
Display Driver Uninstaller

Once your booted back into Windows install the latest driver for your card:
Desktop

OpenHardwareMonitor.sys Sat Jul 26 14:29:37 2008: Open Hardware Monitor driver. Program also seems to use the WinRing libraries - which are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems plus the date is too old for Windows 10 really. Remove.

Install the Windows 10 drivers found on your motherboards support page:
M5A97 EVO R2.0 - Support

If the bsod continues then stress test your graphics card using furmark:
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Monitor card temps using HWiNFO64
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Is it possible you could try using the graphics card in a different machine like a friends say?

See how you get on with the above and please post any new dump files.

I just realised your also overclocking the cpu. Until we find the true culprit please return to stock values as it just makes life easier when debugging an issue.

At first, thanks for your reply.

Please remove Avira AV as it has been known to cause issues in the past. Please use the on board Defender as this is ultra stable.
I don´t think Avira can cause this problem, i was using Avast for a long time but OK, i REMOVED AVIRA for now.

Please remove your current graphics driver using this application. The Display Driver Uninstaller will remove not only this driver but anything else left behind by previous installs. You'll need to to do this is safe mode.
I did as you wish :).

Once your booted back into Windows install the latest driver for your card:
DONE! Installed v 16.5.1

Install the Windows 10 drivers found on your motherboards support page:
I really don´t know which drivers you mean? There are just AUDIO, LAN + SATA drivers.

Monitor card temps using HWiNFO64
I am already using this monitoring SW. Temps of my GPU + CPU are fine.

Is it possible you could try using the graphics card in a different machine like a friends say?
Unfortunatelly nope, but if this problem will persist, i will order new card for just testing purposes.

I just realised your also overclocking the cpu. Until we find the true culprit please return to stock values as it just makes life easier when debugging an issue.
Yes, but it is stable OC, on default voltage, but i flashed new Bios from 2201 -> 2603 and everything is on STOCK. (I was already in stock too, but the problem not gone...)

I think, this is caused by Graphics card (HW problem).

I can try it, but for how long time stressing the card? Thanks. I will let you know, if BSOD persist or not.

Sorry, i don´t know what you mean with "Timed stress" ? I can´t see that option in Furmark.

I am running test for more than 1 hour. But for now i have to go off. I think there is not problem with stressing GPU. At least, there are just 2 dump files, but my PC got random freezes. Or am i wrong? (Most of time, i got freeze in idle time...)
Thank you guys for your time and your help :)

Attachments

• furmark.jpg
    furmark.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 415
Hi Kaper,
running the stress test for an hour is good enough. I thought there was a timed test but apparently not.

I really don´t know which drivers you mean? There are just AUDIO, LAN + SATA drivers.
Yup that's them. There's only a few but still worth updating.

So the system is now running at stock values? If so please keep it like this.

Please run these scans:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Can you post what temperature your system is at: full load and idle please post figures for both cpu and gpu.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

My temps are fine for sure. Here they are: (HW INFO 64)
CPU: Idle: 38°C / 27°C (Socket temp. / Core temp) ### Load: 48°C / 33°C (Socket temp. / Core temp)
GPU: Idle: 41°C ||| LOAD: 71°C

Thanks Kaper, as you say they are fine.

Did you run the scans and if so what was the results?

Did you update the drivers I mentioned?

Any change regarding freezing?

Yes I did scans. I posted results -> in Quote (upper)
Yes, I updated all drivers from the site.

For now, i can´t say if anything helped or not, because freezing is happening 1 times in a week. Or every 6-8th day. I have to wait for some freeze or not.
Can we now say, if it freeze, is this caused by fualty HW? GPU? Thank you Kemical and others for your help!

hi @kemical is the best BSOD trouble shooter I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few. I try to stay out of his way and just observe.
Here is my cents! This is taken from a link by HTG!
Useful Tips for Dealing With BSODs
BSODs have a variety of root causes, but these tips will help you deal with many blue screens:

• Use System Restore: If your system recently started blue-screening, use System Restore to roll its system software back to a previous state. If this works, you’ll know that it’s likely a software problem.
  • Scan for Malware: Malware that digs deep into Windows and gets its hooks into the Windows kernel at a low level can cause system instability. Scan your computer for malware to ensure buggy malicious software isn’t causing it to crash.
  • Install Updated Drivers: An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer’s hardware from your computer manufacturer’s website and install them — this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.
  • Boot Into Safe Mode: If your computer is blue-screening every time you turn it on, try booting into safe mode. In safe mode, Windows loads only the essential drivers. If a driver you’ve installed is causing Windows to blue screen, it shouldn’t do so in safe mode. You can work on fixing the problem from safe mode.
  • Check for Hardware Problems: Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer’s memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn’t overheating.
  • Reinstall Windows: Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

because freezing is happening 1 times in a week. Or every 6-8th day. I have to wait for some freeze or not.
Hi Kaper,
as you have a good idea when these freezes occur have you tried checking those dates in the Event viewer? You might be able to see a recorded event which ties in with this issue.

As it's only happening every 6-8 days I wonder if this is caused by some sort of maintenance app or similar. Try checking the Task Scheduler and see if a task ties in with the freezing event.

Regarding your Samsung SSD, do you use the Magician software and if so is the firmware the latest version?

Can we now say, if it freeze, is this caused by fualty HW? GPU?
Well so far the only thing which has said the card might be faulty is the dump file and sometimes these errors can be caused by a totally different driver. I would say it's too early to say whether it's the gpu or not. What is the system like when you start gaming?
If you play through a game without it freezing then chances are it isn't the gpu.

This is a bit of an old app now but as you have an older card it might run ok. It will check the gpu's vram:
HOME PAGE OF MISHA CHERKES

When you run it make sure you right click and run as admin.

Post any new dump files.

I checked event viewer and here is screenshot. I saved all these critical logs into file ( Can you look on it? )
* But not all of these logs, which you can see caused freeze. Just any of them.
D8bSg0t.jpg

The problem is, that during 5 months it logged just 2x DUMP files...

As it's only happening every 6-8 days I wonder if this is caused by some sort of maintenance app or similar. Try checking the Task Scheduler and see if a task ties in with the freezing event.
It was just orientational.

Here is my personal log when it caused freeze: (Windows 7)
17.1.2016 - Photoshop FREEZE (15:40)
28.1.2016 - OPERA FREEZ

30.1.2015 - ## EVERYTHING ON STOCK SETTINGS BIOS##
8.2.2016 - OPERA FREEZE
17.2.2015 - BSOD (Avast)

Here is my personal log when it caused freeze: (Windows 10 NOW)
19.2.2016 - Installed WIN 10
29.2.2016 - Freeze idle
4.3.2016 - Freeze (Game - League of Legends) (Here it was overclocked CPU i think)
8.3.2016 - WIN Freeze
22.3.2016 - FREEZE Win IDLE
23.3.2016 - FREEZE WIN IDLE
27.3.2016 - Freeze OPERA (8:46)
27.3.2015 - Freeze idle (12:31)
11.4.2016 - Freeze idle
16.4.2016 Freeze Idle (19:40)
19.4.2015 - Freeze Chrome
26.4.2016 - Freeze Chrome
10.5.2016 Freeze idle
..... now testing... and waiting for...

Regarding your Samsung SSD, do you use the Magician software and if so is the firmware the latest version?
Yes ofc. I have installed Magician SW v. 4.5.
FW: EXT0BB6Q (latest...)

What is the system like when you start gaming?
If you play through a game without it freezing then chances are it isn't the gpu.
Most of the time I am just on "idle" or browsing via Chrome + Opera or Photoshoping etc. Ofc i am playing some games, but mostly just LoL and as you can see, it happened just 1x TIME (Freezed).

I will try that app for testing VRAM of GPU.

/edit: Results of 28min testing VRAM, i will test it more time, but i can´t for now :).
WARNING: Your card can be not compatible with this test! If multiple errors will found, try test with onscreen buffer usage or wthout of ignoring colors bit mask.
[12.05.2016 13:05:50] Test started for "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series"...
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[12.05.2016 13:11:26] Pass completed (0 errors found).
[12.05.2016 13:17:20] Pass completed (0 errors found).
[12.05.2016 13:23:23] Pass completed (0 errors found).
[12.05.2016 13:29:19] Pass completed (0 errors found).
TEST CANCELED

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• critical_events.rar
    2.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Thanks Kaper, I've been going over it the last ten minutes and will post back shortly.

Hi,
looking through to see if anything could relate to the bsod and there are a number of events blaming 'misbehaving network drivers'.
Now i know you updated using the driver from the support page but below is the very latest version. Please first make sure you remove the original driver before installing the new:
Realtek

I noticed some events related to 'interactive services' being turned off. Have you made any changes to Windows 10 yourself like disabling certain services? If so try reversing the changes and see if the freezing stops.

Hi,
looking through to see if anything could relate to the bsod and there are a number of events blaming 'misbehaving network drivers'.
Now i know you updated using the driver from the support page but below is the very latest version. Please first make sure you remove the original driver before installing the new:
Thanks. I did.
Old version was: 10.1.505.2015
NEW : 10.8.311.2016

I noticed some events related to 'interactive services' being turned off. Have you made any changes to Windows 10 yourself like disabling certain services? If so try reversing the changes and see if the freezing stops.
I don´t remember that i was chaning something like that. Just When I was installing windows i unchecked some settings about "sending some informations to Microsoft" i think.

Nope. I didn't have any freeze for now. (But freezes are random, i need more time to say, if it is stable or not :) If i will got any freeze, surely i will write this information here.

Back