Windows 8 BSOD what seems like randomly and often

oats5

Hi all,
I have been getting the BSOD fairly often, I have noticed a few things.
- It happens almost every time I use windows update to install software updates and patches.
- The PC may work for a bit and then it will just go to BSOD when i restart it or turn it back on.
- First time it happened was after installing a new SSD. When it happened the computer was fine and then all of a sudden froze the screen went erratic and was displaying weird colors and was non responsive.
For this reason I have a feeling my graphics card has given up and killed itself. I have also noticed a few posts that are similar and all basically lead to a dead graphics card and replacement.
I have had to re-install windows from 8.1 to 8 and windows reset it countless times.
Lastly I have used to device manager to disable the video card and uninstall the driver however that has not helped.
I have attached all the data needed from the how to post a thread thread.

I appreciate you time and help!

Attachments

• W7F_03-12-2014.zip
    947.7 KB · Views: 419
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88008281e3f, fffff8800a5b02a0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+261e3f )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
The above bugcheck means a system service routine was interrupted. This was because data held in the memory couldn't read because either the data or the memory was corrupt. The above dump file also blames the gpu driver as being the probable cause. Now the the thing is you say you've disabled the Nvidia GT 640 and I imagine your running on the integrated gpu on the motherboard which is an AMD chip. If my assumption is incorrect then please let me know.
As the bsod's are still happening you could try removing the Nvidia driver as well (remove the card too) and see if that improves things. I suspect it won't but check anyway.

If you still get a bsod then obviously the issue lays elsewhere and personally I'd check your main RAM. I'll post details of this at the end of the post.

You also have drivers in need of updating:

athrx.sys Thu Mar 22 03:26:22 2012: Atheros network adapter driver. Is this something you installed? Looking on your motherboard support page I see no mention of Atheros? Please update if you know what this is:
http://www.atheros.cz/

I didn't see any drivers for the onboard graphics.. You can find the correct version here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows 7 - 64
Just to add that if you removed the Nvidia card (as well as driver) and you still get a bsod then of course it has to be something else. This means you could re-install the Nvidia card again. If you do then the correct driver is here:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79931/en-uk

Rt630x64.sys Wed Oct 19 13:12:55 2011: Realtek Lan driver. Later version on motherboard support page under Windows 8:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4602#dl

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Lastly I noted your RAM was running in single channel mode. Do you have 3 sticks installed? If so are they all the same manufacturer, speed ect?

Hi mate,

thank you for the reply. I have been at work all day but I'm home now and have just finished with another reset. I'm going through what you laid out systematically. I'm downloading the 7 drivers that are out of date and I will get back to you on the points you made.

Thanks again, that was an amazing help!

Your welcome :) I'll wait on your feedback then.. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom