Windows 7 BSOD's becoming more frequent

Rattrap

Hi guys.

So I've had this computer for a little under a month now I built it myself with the help of a couple friends via ventrilo they went step by step over the build with me and it went good but as we started to get into windows we encountered a couple BSOD's that seemed to be related to faulty RAM that was sent to me when I bought parts, so I bought new RAM that we thought might have been the problem. As it turns out were not sure whether that was the problem or not cause I am starting to run into the same problems that we were running into before. It started out as Driver_IQR_Less_or_equal errors which they told me was related to drivers not being updated so we went through and found all the drivers that might not have been updated to the newest version, the problem stopped happening up until a couple days ago but before I could go in search of drivers that I might have missed we ran into another BSOD that has been happening more frequently. Bad_pool_header, were all kinda unsure exactly what this one might be related to so I thought I might make a post here seeing as you all are very good at pin pointing problems that most run into.

My specs are:

Win 7 64bit
Asus M4a89GTD Pro/USB3 Motherboard
4GB 2x2GB PNY DDR3 PC3-10666, 1333MHz
Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
Norton Internet Antivirus that came with the computer

Uh as this is really the first time Ive posted specs on a computer related problem on a site im not quite sure exactly what else to post but ill include a System Information file that will give additional information. The friends also mentioned that I should install a program called WhoCrashed to tell a little more about that problems that I've been having so ill include those aswell

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Fri 8/20/2010 7:15:08 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]ntoskrnl.exe[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF8A00C237D30, 0xFFFFF8A00C237E00, 0x50D0404)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]BAD_POOL_HEADER[/FONT]
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082010-22089-01.dmp
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft® Windows® Operating System[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft Corporation[/FONT]
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Fri 8/20/2010 5:52:05 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]ntoskrnl.exe[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF900C34F2880, 0xFFFFF900C34F2880, 0x25000088)
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082010-18454-01.dmp
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Thu 8/19/2010 6:28:15 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA8004586E80, 0xFFFFFA8004586F40, 0x40C000A)
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081910-19312-01.dmp
[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]
This error happened twice on the same day, and once more on the day before.

[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Wed 8/18/2010 4:00:52 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF8C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002C6AB09)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/FONT]
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081810-18532-01.dmp
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]

This error was the one I was running into previous to the Bad_Pool_Header errors.

[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Mon 8/16/2010 1:27:09 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]dxgmms1.sys[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA8002985EF0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88004F512E8, 0x2)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA[/FONT]
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081610-21387-01.dmp
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS

This error I only ever encountered the once and we were unsure of what it was related to. As I think I may be dragging the post on a little above what I intially wanted to put in one post ill post the Minidump file in the attachment and a system information file if more information is needed. I'm sorry if it seems like I just dumped whole bunch of mess on one page but I wanted to see if I might get a pointer in the direction I should look to solve some of these problems. :x Any comments at all would be much appreciated, Thank you very much for anyone who takes a look this if you do at all, I will be away from computer for a couple hours so if i dont get back right away ill get back soon as I get back, thank you again.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• Minidump.rar
    578.9 KB · Views: 290
  • System Information.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,670
Hello and welcome!

Norton/Symantec? My personal and very educated opinion? Blaaah.

Uninstall it in safe mode using the tool found here, then reboot to normal mode and replace with MSE which will never cause any bsods:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Not only that, the pc will be much faster with certain things such as disk reads.

Norton is a major source of issues for you, currently:

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80002dbb000, fffff880076532a0, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NISx64\1107000.00C\SRTSP64.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SRTSP64.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SRTSP64.SYS
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+174 )

Followup: Pool_corruption
---------
-------

This old Realtek network driver is the source of many frustrations. Update it.

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...110SB(L)/RTL8169SB(L)/RTL8169SC(L)<br>RTL8169

--------

Uninstall all the notorious motherboard manufacturer applications (utilities) to remove the following drivers:
Code:
AsUpIO   AsUpIO.sys   Sun Jul 05 22:21:38 2009
AsIO     AsIO.sys     Thu Apr 22 07:18:03 2010
---------

If you follow all that carefully, you should have no further issues. Please post a new crash dump after, if necessary and we'll sort it from there.

Last edited:
Ok, I went through safe mode and uninstalled the Norton Antivirus which was Symantec. That went ok then I installed the new Realtek network drivers and then utility programs that came with the motherboard. After about an hour or two of use just surfin the web and trying a game to see wether that would produce the error and it did, except not the same one this time I got a different one this time it was a Bad_Pool_Caller.

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Fri 8/20/2010 12:03:14 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x1097, 0x4C2, 0xFFFFFA800239DC10)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]BAD_POOL_CALLER[/FONT]
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082010-17940-01.dmp

[/FONT]

Attachments

• Badpoolcaller Minidump.rar
    19.8 KB · Views: 225
Hello,

Seems like this one is pointing to your Display driver atikmdag.sys reinstall your Display drivers. Check this article for more info Link Removed - Invalid URL and your Symantec is still there in your PC please use the Removal Tool to clear out the left over files check this thread for more info Link Removed - Invalid URL

Code:
fffff880`010c2000 fffff880`01130000   SYMDS64  SYMDS64.SYS  Tue Aug 18 05:05:30 2009 (4A89E942)
fffff880`01144000 fffff880`0117f000   SYMEFA64 SYMEFA64.SYS Thu Apr 22 03:17:39 2010 (4BCF727B)
fffff880`02cc3000 fffff880`02cf9000   SYMEVENT64x86 SYMEVENT64x86.SYS Fri Aug 14 03:58:21 2009 (4A849385)
fffff880`02c4d000 fffff880`02cc3000   SYMTDIV  SYMTDIV.SYS  Tue May 04 10:08:27 2010 (4BDFA4C3)

Then Enable Driver Verifier so we can try to catch the culprit follow to thread to Enable it Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Drivers - Windows 7 Forums

Code:
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+61164 )

Hope this helps,
Captain

Agreed with Captain.

However, not a single thing that I've shown to do has been done at all.

Please revisit my post and take things from there.

I don't think Driver Verifier will be necessary at all if followed well.

I did go through and do the things you had asked me to do Torrent, although I am doing them again now, I booted into safe mode and used the application AV Uninstallers>Norton/Symantec 2010 removal tool and it said it completed, but I just did it again to make sure that it actually did do it but im not quite sure on how to check to see that it has fully been removed. Next thing I did was get the Win7 Driver from the Realtek website you linked when I downloaded it it came with a folder that had an Ini file in it so I went in and manually updated the driver by navigating the update to that folder and the Ini file. After that I went and got my Asus CD that came with the motherboard and got rid of the "Utility" applications that had come with the CD. That when I fresh installed Win7 on this computer I installed by mistake.

In terms of what Captain said im trying to uninstall the display driver with the instructions on the page you had linked for me to use but every time i would uninstall the driver and reboot even with the option to never install driver software from windows updates and with my internet connection unplugged it still updates to the version that I currently have which is old but im going to keep giving it a shot to see if I can get it to let me manually update the driver without windows installing it for me. I
apologise if I sound like im coming on the defensive from not having followed your directions well, I'm unfortunately the most tech savvy guy so im kinda going off of what instructions are given in the couple pages you guys have given me to follow

No worries man, it's all good. My posts are intended to help the situation efficiently. Not meant to sound rude, abrupt or anything like that.

Post a new crash dump when one happens and I'll try to explain what to do step by step in as much detail as possible.

On a related note to my last crash report it was due to a display driver, I'm working on updating it to the newest version of the drivers that are out for my card which would be 10.7 on their site but every time I uninstall the driver and come back from a reboot with the automatic updates turned off it reverts back to the old 8.7 drivers that caused my last bsod is there a way to manually update the display driver without windows automatically updating it?

Most of your crash dumps have pointed to the display driver being the culprit but that simply isn't the case.

There is nothing required for you to do with that. You are already running the latest video driver.

All the issues on the machine are posted about in my first post of the thread.

Take care of those issues, first. When done, re-install the latest ATI/AMD video driver to update what you've done now.

Sorry for not responding for a couple days, been busy and really haven't been able to use the computer at all but I tried my computer after what we last worked through and hadn't seen a problem until just a little while ago where I got a new BSOD that I've never seen before "DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER" this one happened while running a game

Attachments

• 082510-22916-01.rar
    16.9 KB · Views: 212
From what I see, there is an excellent chance that malware (a malicious driver) is causing buffer overruns in attempts to gain control of your machine. Not so good as it is a clear hacking method. The bosd happened specifically to prevent the hack's success. Download and install Malwarebytes. Run it then update its definitions. Let it scan and remove everything it finds. Reboot when done.

After doing that, navigate to C:\Windows\SysWow64\drivers

and delete these files:

Code:
AsIO     AsIO.sys     Thu Apr 22 07:18:03 2010
AsUpIO   AsUpIO.sys   Sun Jul 05 22:21:38 2009
Reboot.

Please keep us updated and post new crashes after if needed.

I downloaded Malwarebytes updated its definitions and ran a full scan and it didn't come up with anything says it was a clean scan, ill run it again after I write this up. After that I went into the Windows folder and got rid of those 2 sys files the AsIO and the ASUpIO, aswell as updating to the new video drivers thanks for the heads up on that too didn't see that ATI had released new drivers. I'll post back if anything happends but it seems good for the moment.

Nice. Ya, the likely issue was the 2 ASUS drivers you deleted. You're welcome.

Yup, please let us know either way, how it seems to be going.

Got one more for ya Torrent sorry to keep botherin ya, I have a feeling this might be because I didn't follow one of your steps right :x this time it was a System Service Exception happend after a couple hours of gaming not sure whether that would make the difference but it tends to be the way to make these errors appear.

Attachments

• 082810-17487-01.rar
    23 KB · Views: 212
Unfortunately, all the drivers look well to me, which means it's likely to be pointless to run the Driver Verifier to flag any bad drivers.

This also means it's likely that your RAM is defective.

One of three things you can do is to enable Driver Verifier and then post the crash dump(s) to see if it has helped in any diagnosis. Here's how:

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Tech Support Forum

The second is to patch APB.exe game to the latest if not already so.

The third is to test the memory using Memtest86+ overnight. Sometimes, it is necessary to isolate one module while removing all the rest, while testing, to show any errors. If you do find errors, the RAM will need to be replaced.

Actually, one further thing you can do is to set the VDIMM (voltage) and timings manually in the bios for your precise RAM modules. Use CPU-Z to see the model number, then visit the manufacturer's website for the precise values for them that you can enter in the bios.

Back