Windows 10 Build 16299.rs3_release_SVC_escrow.180502-1908 issues

MikeyChris

Extraordinary Member
Hello all,
I have several issues with Windows 10, but I shall try to keep each question limited to one topic. A quick history: I bought a new HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p027 computer in November of 2017. The only "original" problem I had was video-related, and I won't go into that here. I stayed current with all updates (HP, Windows, etc.) and somewhere along the line I developed an issue with rebooting the system, namely I had to manually turn the system off, then back on again. Not a huge issue since it shuts down/starts up pretty quickly due to the SSD drive. More concerning is the fact that Windows keeps trying to update, but cannot complete the update, and reverts to this (Build 16299.rs3_release_SVC_escrow.180502-1908) release. Does the word "escrow" in this build have some significance? Of course, I manually turn the system /on/off at appropriate times during the upgrade process. Also, I can't recall the version of the update, but it seems like it was a lesser number (ie perhaps older) version number than what I have, but windows keeps trying to update (and fails). Any suggestions are welcomed. HP has been worthless (wanting me to join a pay service for help, even when the machine was brand new and under warranty). I have tried Googling this, but must not be phrasing it right because I come up with nothing. BTW, Belarc advisor reports my Windows version as: Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.547). The release version listed in the message title is reported by Windows itself in the lower right corner of my desktop screen. Thanx!

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to do a clean installation. The easy way is in: Settings - Update and Security - Recovery - More Recovery Options - Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows. I've done this and it worked fine.

There are people here who will tell you it needs to be done by downloading and burning a Windows disk and installing with it. That works too. I've done it both ways with good results. But getting it to install to my SSD was a bit of a pain. I had to learn how to select it in the BIOS. Maybe it's easier on your HP than it is on my Dell.

Oh yeah. You'll need to back up anything you need to keep from your computer. Hopefully you have a backup drive.

Once I had a computer expert try to help me fix Windows Update on a Vista machine I used to have. He ended up breaking my computer and I ended up reinstalling anyway. He was trying to work with Windows Support. It was crazy trying to get help from someone on the other side of the world. It was quite an involved process. One mistake and you're screwed. That's what happened to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom