Windows 7 Build 7100 Media Center Overscans TV...Previous Builds Did Not

petes457

This is an exasperating problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I built a HTPC a few months ago and ran Vista Media Center (VMC) great on it. In January, I did a clean install of Windows 7 Build 7000 and have been enjoying it very much. I have ended up using the 32-bit versions of Windows as I had some issues with 64-bit codecs. My HTPC setup is as follows:

ASUS P5N7A-VM with nVidia 9300/730i chipset
Intel E8400
4 GB RAM
AverTV Combo PCIe Tuner

The computer is connected via HDMI to a Denon AV receiver and the Denon connects via HDMI to a high definition Sony SVRD TV, native resolution 1920x1080. Anyway, with VMC 32-bit, VMC 64-bit, Win7 (7000) 32-bit, and Win7 (64-bit), the Windows desktop severely overscans my TV, cutting off the taskbar, window controls, etc. However, using the nVidia Control Manager, I'm able to resize the desktop so it fits within the TV screen. However, it is not centered and does not use all the screen, but is usable for desktop purposes. The good news is that when I go into Media Center on all these versions, I can configure the TV settings to use 1080i and it scans perfectly to fit my TV. Since this is the primary purpose of the HTPC, all is well.

However, I just did a clean install of Windows 7 (7100) and this is all changed. The desktop overscans as before and I'm able to resize it as before, but when I go into Media Center and configure to use the 1080i setting, it no longer perfectly fits my TV screen but overscans it significantly, cutting off the program controls, Back icon, Windows control icons. This renders the 7100 build unusable for me. This occurs with both the 7100 32-bit and 64-bit builds and with both the 181.xx and 185.xx nVidia drivers.

So I've had to go back to the 7000 build and it works perfectly as before. (Both the 181 and 185 nVidia drivers work fine with this build.) I know that Microsoft has a time bomb built into build 7000 that goes off on June 1 so I have to figure this out. Can anyone verify that they are having this problem? Are there any suggestions as to how I can fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the quick response. There is no video card. The ASUS P5N7A-VM is a nVidia 9300/730i based mobo that has integrated graphics which support 1080p and 8 channels of audio through HDMI on the motherboard. So i just have a HDMI coming from the motherboard to the Denon AV receiver and then the Denon is connected via HDMI to the Sony TV. It has worked great - viewing Bluray movies, 1080i TV broadcasts, full Dolby Digital sound - until Build 7100 and the overscan issue within Media Center.

Copied from above:

The computer is connected via HDMI to a Denon AV receiver and the Denon connects via HDMI to a high definition Sony SVRD TV, native resolution 1920x1080. Anyway, with VMC 32-bit, VMC 64-bit, Win7 (7000) 32-bit, and Win7 (64-bit), the Windows desktop severely overscans my TV, cutting off the taskbar, window controls, etc. However, using the nVidia Control Manager, I'm able to resize the desktop so it fits within the TV screen. However, it is not centered and does not use all the screen, but is usable for desktop purposes. The good news is that when I go into Media Center on all these versions, I can configure the TV settings to use 1080i and it scans perfectly to fit my TV. Since this is the primary purpose of the HTPC, all is well.

So yes, I can use the nVidia Control Manager to resize my desktop within the TV screen. But it does not fit nicely as there are only two resize controls instead of four controls. But my issue is within Media Center which is what I mainly care about. I am able to configure Media Center with different display settings than the desktop. There's one that says "1080i" and when I set it to that, it scaled perfectly to the corners of the TV screen with Vista and Build 7000 - but not build 7100.

I am using nVidia 185.85 drivers.

What else would you like to know about my system hardware?

OK,

I understand what you mean.

the resizing works perfectly when using the TV as a computer screen.

Yesterday I bought 2 Blue-ray disks and resized the desktop using Nvidia's Control Center, then the Blue-ray software popped up and it was definitely larger than the TV screen itself.

Check the back of your DVD's an look for 1.78:1 which did not fit correctly, however the 2:35:1 did fit the screen.

this happens in Vista also, so it';s not a Windows 7 issue.

Back