Windows 10 Build 9879 ..... unable to do Refresh

davidhk129

After installing build 9879, I have the issue of some shortcuts turning generic.

Icon Rebuild , Restore default associations of ico, browser cache cleanup, IE reset, none of those work.

So, I did a Refresh.
After an hour, it came back with these messages..................
"There was a problem refreshing your PC.
No changes were made.
Check for solution to this problem."

That reminds me that when we upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 via Windows Store, many of us also had problem doing Refresh.

I was advised to reinstall using the Enterprise ISO.
I might, but too pissed to do it now.

adding..... I did click " Check for solution to this problem ", did not get any response back.

Damn that's a shame.. I guess it's still early days with some parts of this build.

I think you are correct in that it is the same problem as in the 8 to 8.1 update. You need the source files for the new build and you probably only have the 9841 files available.

I have heard they are going to release an .iso of the new build or you could try making one from the ESD files.

I don't have esd file. I have .wim file instead.
Too much trouble converting .wim to .esd.
I'll wait for MS's release of iso.

Wait. I do have the esd file.
On build 9860, I had .wim file. Now, on build 9879, I have esd file.
Weird.

For you comfort. I have made an ISO from the .esd. Booted up with it and installed. All went well.

Kari? Is that the guy on the other forum?
Maybe he is trying to cover all the alternatives.

1. Unzip the attached to a prepared folder, or, preferably, straight to the folder with the ESD file.
2.If the former, Copy the content of the RecoveryImage folder into the same place where ESDtoISO.cmd file is
3. Open a Command prompt, with Admin privilege, and navigate in the command prompt to the folder with the ESD
- Just in case you will probably be in the system32 folder. Type CD.. then, again CD.. This should now put you in the root.Now type cd RecoveryImage, Now you should be in the correct folder.

4. Type in ESDtoISO.cmd <space> install.ESD

5. Select your option from the short menu. Option 3 or 4 would be your normal choice. Only use 4 if you know how to customise and use a .wim file

Go and have a cup of coffee - it takes a while.

P.S Later. I have just updated this with a fuller detailed outline of the process, as I received a couple of messages from members who could not follow it through.

Attachments

• ESDtoISO.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 833
Last edited:
It's too late.
I have already started installing 9879 Enterprise version.
Will keep your method for future.
Thank you.

Davehc, I just did the process and the .iso seems to be fine and installed normally. I do, however, notice there are differences when setting the preferences as the new build seems to be a basic graphic where the 9841 had a normal display and graphics while answering the install questions. Just wonder if this install is meant to be done as a Clean install.

My system does not seem to like the 9879 build, it even bluescreens when done as a clean install.

Win 10 TP Enterprise build 9879 installed.
Forum shortcuts issue persists.
Image 2.jpg

BUT, I notice something strange......
If I open windows explorer, left side, click This PC > Desktop > I get this.......

Image 1.jpg

Notice that Windows 8 - Tutorial Index and Windows 8 Forums retain the proper icon images ? But they lost them on desktop.

Well, I give up. Build 9879 is supposed to add new features AND correct old mistakes.
One step forward, 2 steps back.

Saltgrass. Can you attach some simple pictures of the problem - I am interested?

Davehc, I am not sure what problem you are referring to since I do not have any except for the blue screens on my new system. Someone from Microsoft has advised me they are seeing the crashes, probably all from me :red_smile:, in their data so it is being worked on. But right now, I have hit a roadblock and cannot progress any further in the testing process.

If you are referring to the graphic difference I see during the install, I will try to get some pictures during another install, but that is not a problem, just looks a little different.

I have been told the .iso for each build will be released in the Slow Ring of the build distribution process. Maybe that will help.

Yes. It was the graphic difference. I have installed twice, now, from the ISO, and didn't t notice anything different.
I didn't get this "Just wonder if this install is meant to be done as a Clean install. "
Are you referring to the ISO, or the update. The ISO would, of course, be a clean install?

Back