Windows 7 Can I make a self contained image disk set with Paragon?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

That's my question, I'd like to make a disk image of the computer I just finished setting up.
I'd like to make a set of DVDs that would let you put in disk one and restore the whole drive from the set.

Anyone know if you can you do that with Paragon Backup & Recovery?

I save my backup on a separate hard drive but I don't have that option here.

I tried to find an answer on the net, but I can't seem to find anything about it.

Mike

Last edited:
I haven't really thought about this as my clean system image is at least 30GB with all of my preferred programs installed. That means if I want to burn a bootable version, I would need at least 4 DVDs or 1 50GB bluray disc. But then, it would also take long to finish the image recovery considering the slow read speed of optical drives compared to USB flash drive or a hard drive dock. All my PC images are on a separate hard drive which I connect to the PC using the USB 3.0 hard drive dock. Recovery process takes only about 15 to 20 mins.

You may not care, but that option is in 8.1 RTM or 8 using the Windows utility.

Sorry, I forgot to notice which OS you were in. This new forum setup is causing me problems. Windows 7 has the same options.

Hi

I don't think that Windows 8 will let you set up a system image that includes installed software.
I think this is another way of trying to force people to use the Metro interface and Apps.

Obviously they could make a system image utility in Windows 8 if they wanted to.
Windows 7 had one.

In fact I can't think of anything more useful than a utility that restores your computer to just the way is way if you have a crash.
So why not have one!

There is a way to do it through the command prompt but I haven't done it and didn't want to get into that right now.
I'll try that on my own computer one of these days.

Mike

It appears, Mike, you don't have much experience with the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility, specifically the System Image options. And Windows 8.1 RTM will be keeping the system imaging ability, but it has moved to the File History dialog.

I use it all the time to recover my system in case of hard drive failure, or from an unknown consequence of my "just playing". :rolleyes:

If you have an external or second internal hard drive available, give it a try. It won't hurt anything, and should not take that long, but it does depend on the drive setup and the size of the install.

Hi

First I want to apologise, because It appears that I placed this post in the Windows 7 forum by mistake.

I should have gone it the Windows 8 forum.
I have used the System Image utility in Windows 7.

But when I look at the Refresh options in Windows 8 it specifically says that software installed from the desktop, disks, etc. will not be retained.

Only the Windows Apps will be restored along with your files etc.

The only options I see are "Refresh" and "Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows".

So if there is a way to make a true Disk Image in Windows 8 I'd be happy to know how it's done.
It should make a copy of my C:\ drive just as it is, and restore it completely back to it's present state.

This can be either from a bootable recovery disk or from the repair function.

If you can tell me how to do this in Windows 8, I'll really be glad to know how it works no irony intended.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

I've got 4 hard drives and 3 external hard drive to put it on, and I'd love to have another option then my Paragon backup.
I'm a firm believer in "Better Safe than Sorry". LOL

Mike

Hi

I don't think that Windows 8 will let you set up a system image that includes installed software.
I think this is another way of trying to force people to use the Metro interface and Apps.

Mike

Yes you can. And this is the strongest point of creating backup images. In case of big problem or system failure, you can always recover your PC by using an image with pre-installed programs and it only takes a fraction of time to complete the recovery compared to re-installing windows OS and a painful re-installation of your favorite programs which could take up to at least a day. :) And by the way, my OS drive (in SSD) is separate from my data drive (in HDD) which makes it even painless when you come into trouble. Your data are intact on a separate drive in case of a system problem.

I created the Win 8 image using the windows utility called "Windows 7 File Recovery" in Control Panel. I have yet to find out if this feature is still available in Win 8.1
For the Win 7 image, I used the Free Macrium software.

Here's a screenshot of my back-up images on an external hard drive. File sizes are between 30ish GB and 40ish GB because of the programs installed on each image. I have 2 versions of each for Win 7 and Win 8.

Attachments

• backup_image.jpg
    backup_image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 277
Mike

How do you access "Windows 7 File Recovery" in Windows 8, I can't find it.
The only things I find are Refresh and Restore, both of which remove installed software that aren't APPs.

I do know that it's possible to make a system image from the command prompt, but I haven't tried to do That yet.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167984/how-to-create-and-restore-system-image-backups-on-windows-8.1/

I do create an image of my hard drive using Paragon Backup and Recovery which works well, but I'd like to be able to restore my computer using the built in Windows repair tools.

Mike

Last edited:
Like badrobot suggested use Macrium or I like Acronis. This will create a system image of your current windows. Then like badrobot says...if/when you run into trouble, just use the image to restore your system.

Hi

I have to admit that when I opened my control panel I didn't think it would be there.
But it was, why have I read all of the articles about Windows 8 Restore options and never seen anyone mention this?

Well, first thing next week I will clean up my C:\ drive and make an image using the Windows 7 File Recovery utility.

I'd have lost a bet on that one.

Mike

Hi

Ok I created an image using the utility in control panel.
Also a new Boot Disk.

This went so easy and quick I'm going to create a new Partition on the computer I'm setting up and do an image of that tomorrow before I let it go.

Mike

Back