Can I Use My Back-up?

alfred01

Fantastic Member
Hello.

I used the back-up utility of Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit and backed up my Acer Aspire. My Acer had an unfortunate accident(!) and is now dead (rest in peace you useless piece of...). I am now going to get a Toshiba and I'm not sure if I can use the back-up created from the Acer to reinstall all my programs and other stuff on C: drive to the Toshiba. A lot of stuff was Acer specific. I would appreciate some input please. I would also appreciate everyone sending one weeks pay to my favorite charity, Save The Dave campaign. Just make the cheque out to cash. Thank You

David

I'm assuming it's backed up to an external drive. Definitely use it for your data. IIWM I would reinstall programs just to be sure everything is correct.

Nope, no programs, they will generally not work unless they are installed properly and register themselves with the windows registry. But your data should be OK, presumably it's in a .VHD format (your backup file extension) you should be able to mount that and copy and paste from it to your Toshiba.
And the checks in the mail. Try not to spend it all in one place

I'm assuming it's backed up to an external drive. Definitely use it for your data. IIWM I would reinstall programs just to be sure everything is correct.

Thank You bru and Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. It's not often that a person's first post is to help someone else. You already fit in here very well and that's very considerate of you. By the way, FYI, yes I am a smarta*s. Welcome aboard!!

Nope, no programs, they will generally not work unless they are installed properly and register themselves with the windows registry. But your data should be OK, presumably it's in a .VHD format (your backup file extension) you should be able to mount that and copy and paste from it to your Toshiba.
And the checks in the mail. Try not to spend it all in one place

Thank You Randy and your in my thoughts my friend. The cheques in the mail? That's like saying the cheques in the mail. And, hahahaha, I'm not going to spend it, it's for charity. :blow:

My Thanks to you both, you confirmed what I thought!

Last edited:
Back