Windows 7 can not connect to WEBDAV server ?

phamtuanchip

i tried access the webdav server by using map net work ..., but after i typed user name and password, it show box to type name of mapped drive, explorer my computer again the mapped drive name appear 3 or 4 times (some name has index some are same name), but i can not open or explorer any (of course i install this one webdav_x86_kb957001 for parch webdav problem of windows vista ).

I've been able to connect to WebDAV (explorer view in SharePoint server) but it's working very, very slowly for me. In Vista, when I click to open a WebDAV folder it opens immediately. In Windows 7, there's a delay of 30-60 seconds.

Ditto. I'm having the same issue. One thing that I noticed was that the WebDAV (SharePoint) server I'm connecting to had the URL:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
We are using split brain DNS, so when I go to that site internally, I get redirected via a CNAME DNS entry to internalserver.internaldomain.com

My cert does not have a subject alternate name for the internal server name. So I thought that was my issue. To test, I created a host file with my server's external name and internal IP address
For example:
192.168.1.10 servername.externaldomain.com

I'm still having weird issues when I connect. I added the registry key mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943280 as https://*.internaldomainname.com and https://*.externaldomainname.com

I have a shortcut created to \\webserver.externaldomain.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\documentlibraries\doclibrary. When I double click this shortcut the first time after a reboot, I get a "cannot find program associated with this file" dialog box asking me to choose a program to open the file I just double clicked on (.lnk file). If I click cancel and try again, the connection works, but only after a ~30 second delay. Very weird issue.

If anyone fixes this or finds a workaround, please post your solution!

Ditto. I'm having the same issue. One thing that I noticed was that the WebDAV (SharePoint) server I'm connecting to had the URL:
We are using split brain DNS, so when I go to that site internally, I get redirected via a CNAME DNS entry to internalserver.internaldomain.com

My cert does not have a subject alternate name for the internal server name. So I thought that was my issue. To test, I created a host file with my server's external name and internal IP address
For example:

I'm still having weird issues when I connect. I added the registry key mentioned in You are prompted to enter your credentials when you access an FQDN site by using a Windows Vista-based client computer that has no proxy configured as https://*.internaldomainname.com and https://*.externaldomainname.com

I have a shortcut created to \\webserver.externaldomain.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\documentlibraries\doclibrary. When I double click this shortcut the first time after a reboot, I get a \"cannot find program associated with this file\" dialog box asking me to choose a program to open the file I just double clicked on (.lnk file). If I click cancel and try again, the connection works, but only after a ~30 second delay. Very weird issue.

I think maybe my order of operations was wrong. I'm still doing some testing, but it seems like adding the reg key in KB943280 and restarting the web client service BEFORE connecting to a WebDAV folder and/or creating a shortcut to a webdav folder seems to do the trick. I'm going to do more testing and post back tomorrow if this is not the case. It seems as though not having that authentication piece in place before you create a shortcut jacks up the shortcut.

But yes, I definitely agree that WebDAV access is disappointly slow!

For example:

I'm still having weird issues when I connect. I added the registry key mentioned in You are prompted to enter your credentials when you access an FQDN site by using a Windows Vista-based client computer that has no proxy configured as https://*.internaldomainname.com and https://*.externaldomainname.com

I have a shortcut created to \\webserver.externaldomain.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\documentlibraries\doclibrary. When I double click this shortcut the first time after a reboot, I get a \"cannot find program associated with this file\" dialog box asking me to choose a program to open the file I just double clicked on (.lnk file). If I click cancel and try again, the connection works, but only after a ~30 second delay. Very weird issue.

I think maybe my order of operations was wrong. I'm still doing some testing, but it seems like adding the reg key in KB943280 and restarting the web client service BEFORE connecting to a WebDAV folder and/or creating a shortcut to a webdav folder seems to do the trick. I'm going to do more testing and post back tomorrow if this is not the case. It seems as though not having that authentication piece in place before you create a shortcut jacks up the shortcut.

But yes, I definitely agree that WebDAV access is disappointly slow!

Set the WebClient service to automatically start and follow my above suggestions and you should be in good shape. However, it seems as though WebDAV is still really slow. At least I'm getting connected now, eventually...

Last edited:
Fixed?

This might be a false alarm, but WebDAV is suddenly working great in Windows 7. I'm guessing that the IE 8 reliability update, or the Windows 7 compatibility update released last week must have fixed something. Can anyone else confirm?

I'm using Win 7, full RC, 32 bit. This problem happens on any machine and happened in Vista 32 bit as well.

I host our SharePoint server externally at Apptix and I was unable to map a network location to show up in Explorer. I have done tons of web searches when we had this problem initially with Vista 2 years ago. The solution was to download KB907306 and it worked in Vista. Why this is still an issue with Win 7 is beyond me.

Our SP address is in the form of Link Removed - Invalid URL (this is the exact value I put in the KB943280 registry key also).

That being said, I tried to install KB907306 in Win 7 and I can now attach the location, but with issues:
1. When I gave the shortcut a different name during the creation, the wizard created 2 copies of the actual address and a 3rd with the name I gave it. I deleted the 2 other shortcuts.
2. I can see the location on the left side of Explorer (navigation pane) and in the main section as you would expect. I can expand the contents of the navigation pane to see the sub-folders.
3. Problem: The main section of Explorer never shows anything but the "Computer" level. I've tried double-clicking, right click and then open, you name it, I've tried it.

I tried the KB943280 registry settings, but it didn't have any effect. Win 7 rejected the actual patch file as being the wrong version of Windows, but the registry setting stuck.

Any ideas?
-Phil

weird

I can get access to webdav, but when i work i.e. with an OpenOffice-File and try to save it, the save-process will end up in an error message, that saving is not possible. But worst of all: the file will have a filesize of "0", which means, the whole content is erased. Bad habbits!

Solution

I was having exactly the same problem. Then I found a page that was talking about how to setup WebDav on Windows 7. Instead of going through the GUI it said you should go to a command prompt and type in a command simlar to this one:

net use * Link Removed - Invalid URL

It prompted me for a username and password and then mapped the drive.

I was able to access my files this way. Hope it works for you. :p

CyBrett

Hi CyBrett,
sure this works for me too, i can get access to webdav this way. But the problem that saving (OpenOffice)files deletes all content remains. Thank you anyway
thomas

I've been trying to fix my webdav in windows 7 as well in hopes that I can connect it to my hosting server. All to no avail. I've already know that windows 7 webdav only accepts https or SSL connections due to the settings in the registry (its the default so that its safe), so I make sure I connect through SSL only as well. I tried several solutions I've seen in the internet but I still can't make it to work. Well to cut the long story short I just used a third party webdav client which was suggested here - Web Folders / Web disk / WebDAV problems on Windows 7 - TechieChips

It worked for my Windows 64-bit so I'm happy :D as most webdav clients work for 32-bit only.

Back
Top Bottom