Windows 7 can not delete video

myleswest

I downloaded a video and watched it but now I can't get it to delete.
If I right click on it and hit "delete" it says it is sending it to "recycling" but it never ends.
I would appreciate any ideas as to how to get rid of it
can't delete it.jpg
image 2.jpg

Hold down the shift key while pressing delete. This will delete it and bypass the recycle bin.

I just tried that but again no results. here is the image of the pop up window. It just keeps running.
View attachment 34393
I just tried that but again no results. here is the image of the pop up window. It just keeps running.
View attachment 34393
But what is really curious is that while that was happening all images that were easily seen in the "Pictures" folder and Desk top changed to look like the ones in attached image #3. And the only way to get things back to normal was to restart my computer. Strange eh?

image 3.jpg

did you try rebooting?
does your account have administrator privileges?
the stubborn file … is access "read only" ?
have you tried deleting file from safe-mode?
make sure you disconnect from internet before deleting.

use command-prompt:
type "del /f filename" and hit enter.
to exit command-prompt type "exit" and hit enter.
omit the quote-marks.​

del is command for deleting
/f is parameter to forcibly remove stubborn files
filename is the path/name of the file (including extension)

make sure you know what you're doing, myleswest … could end up in a world of hurt. read up a bit more on which commands are safe and how the syntax of commands are structured. try deleting a couple test-files first … you'd be wise creating a system restore-point … as well as backing up your personal files.

there is a program on the internet called "unlocker" … my thought is for you to avoid it … more than one of my sentries thought it contained a malicious agenda. course, this was several years ago … might be different story now.

Del

Download the unlocker program. It will delete the file. You might have to reboot.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

If none of those work; download the free LOCK HUNTER (you can google it!); Works great for me. When Lock Hunter fails, it's usually due to severe windows MFT corruption or a nasty spyware virus. You can try the suggestions above, but if that file is stored on your C: drive (bootdrive where Windows lives) you can try to "rollback" your System with built-in SYSTEM RESTORE program to a point in time prior to downloading that video file. That file could be the cause of your file corruption, or it could be virus based. In either case, this might get you going right away!:up:

If that file is on an external drive (you don't say where the file is located!); it's somewhat involved, but you can buy a 2nd external USB drive and plug it into your computer. Make sure it's of at least equal capacity or greater than your existing external drive where your downloaded video file lives now. Use Windows Explore to move all your data files from the original external drive over to the 2nd external drive. Make sure you got everything. Then use W7 Disk Management utility to erase ALL files from your original external drive and format it as NTFS/MBR. (unless the external is 3GB or larger). Then copy back all files from the 2nd drive to the original (now erased & formatted) drive. That downloaded file should be gone! :up:

If that file happens to live on your C: drive (bootdrive), it's quite a bit more involved since you are most likely looking at a failing or failed hard drive!! In this case, you must test your hard drive, and it's best to test your hard drive and all RAM sticks as well as they can simulate failures to delete files as well. Check out my Troubleshooting Guide which will walk you through this process here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Bear in mind if your computer came with Win7 and you didn't upgrade it from something even older such as Vista or XP, and you've never replaced that hard drive since you owned it; there's like an 85% chance that drive is failing or has failed! :waah: So you know, hard drives in computers the last 15 years are only designed to last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops! :eek: This means it's extremely likely if you get to this point in my reply, that your hard drive is the real culprit here--and if hardware tests return errors, you'll need to replace the drive! :waah: If you don't, you'll continue to get more and more files of all types that you download/upload onto that drive that will no longer be deleteable!:waah: Until you get to the root of the problem, and replace that old drive. W7 computers are going to be 8 years old this year; and just about all computers and laptops (except Dell) will not last much more than 10 years; so effectively you're computer only has about 2-3 years left in it.:andwhat:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back