Windows 8 can NOT get windows 7 to upgrade to 8. at all.

preface, i am fairly competant with this stuff. with win 95, 98, and xp i could boot into DOS and use commands to overwrite files and get problems fixed. but can't do that any longer....

i have an HP p6320y and the only thing after market as of now (i jerked out a lot of stuff) on the MoBo is a BluRay drive. i replaced the DVD drive here while back, but if it works fine in 7, there should be no issue.

i have talked to 3 Microsoft techs, and no luck. this is getting extremely infuriating, its beyond frustrating or inconvenience. its like, full on technological anger management meltdown now. so let me recap what i have done, what the techs have done, and how nothing is fixed.

first of all, what i have done: i have an HP with OEM win 7 x64 home premium on it. i have in the past ran win 8 developer preview. actually i have installed that several times just to show family members at different times what is coming. install program worked perfect, OS worked perfect on my pc. but now that i have paid for it, nothing. at first i installed as upgrade on my OEM and chose to keep nothing. it does the whole install process on the desktop, when the computer restarts to set it up, the screen comes up to the blue window logo screen with spinning dots, shows it processing to 75%, then restarts again and hangs at that same screen for like 2 hrs. then it says it could not install windows 8 and will revert back to win 7. the weird thing is, when it hangs, the hardrive is completely unaccessed. like i place my ear on the hardisk itself, no sounds, no clicks, no searching. the HDD access light on the tower is just ON. no blink, not off, just on. why the heck is there no activity? why does the computer just start and show me a graphic of the window? shouldnt it be accessing and working? after about 45 minutes, it says it's not able to uprade and will revert to how my computer was to begin with and rolls back to win7. great.

after that i tried to install it with the set-up disk as bootable, and to choose customer, and full install on formatted hardisk. does the exact same thing.

after that i decided to use a family member's full retail install, and after it was installed, i re-registered it with my OEM key, so this is a completely clean retail win7 install. no bloat, no nothing. i unplugged ALL devices, retried. it still hangs at the same screen. it never recovers from the second restart!!

so after that i formatted c again, and installed the OEM OS back on it, redownloaded the upgrade exe, and tried again, and still nothing.

now i called tech support friday, saturday, and sunday. 1 guy did a remote access but couldnt find anything. the next guy had me do a dskchk and that did nothing. and the third guy did a remote access and changed some setting that i couldnt see any value in changing to begin with, we did anothe rinstall, this time, still nothing. he said i will have to speack with tier2, but they can only talk to me tomorrow. all 3 guys it hangs at the same spot! why will this idiot box not upgrade!?! THERE IS NO CONFLICTS! ITS A BRAND NEW FACTORY RESET OS!!! i'm seriously going to lose my sanity over this because what should be a 1 hr upgrade has ruined my whole weekend, for no reason i can figure out.

i have disconnected everything from the MoBo that can be disconnected. and still, nothing. i never save backup sor anything with this. i just have all my install discs ripped as ISOs on an external hardrives, and start at the top and re-instal each one, one by one. and i do that with all my personal files to (video, audio, pictures, documents, etc)

i just can't think the driver issue would matter, because what if this was a brand new PC build i did myslef? how would i install the drivers, if i can't boot to a desktop to begin with?

does anyone out there know at all what is the deal? why am i not able to install this upgrade? please, someone. anyone. help.

no matter what, i can not get it to update. why is this so hard to do? why will this upgrade just not work? i have redownloaded the file liek 4 times, and wasted 3 days now. trying. my eyes are killing me, my head is killing me. for 3 days straight i been crawling around unhooking cables, removing peripherales. the side panel and front panel of my pc are removed, all the hardrives are removed, all the pci devices are removed, i have wiped and formatted C:/ drive so many times it should be perfectly defragged now. there is just no hope or answer in sight i feel. i will try again with absolutely everything unplugged from the MoBo, but if my grandpa had this computer, how the heck would he get the upgrade done? he doesnt even know how to eject the cd. and if i have to re-install.... i don't want to have to do all this garbage all over again. i just want some kind of solution.

i have ran windows 8 dev preview 3 different times... what makes this time so different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Keith(Y)?,first of I think,and I think windows 8 developer was worthless,it is like windows vista,if you want,try windows consumer preview or the release canandate(sp?),and see if that works,the last2 previews work better then developer.did you do a windows 8 upgrade advisor,or to see if your hp is upgradable?,assuming it is,you will have to uninstall the apps,ans software that is not compatable yet.then "8" should install.I had the same problem,I then did a clean install and did not transfer everything.I installed the main drivers,only certain security software is compatable with the early release of "8"..But first see if your hp support and driver page has windows 8 drivers yet.I hope this made sense and works for you.

yeah, its keith. its just easier to use my facebook than register an acct. :p

anywho, i have done a clean install since attempt 1. all my crap is on an external drive. so right now c:/ is windows 7 with SP1 and thats it. nothing more. nothing. at all. so why the heck won't this upgrade? there is absolutely nothing on here that is being used or would conflict

as for drivers: there's that. i downloaded the win7 drivers. i would imagine that would work. i can't see how the heck windows 8 would be so dramatically different to require all new drivers. i just don't buy it.

and i just don't see why it goes through the entire install process, resets, and go through "processing" or whatever that is, resets, then DOA. won't go past the 2nd reset.

It's difficult to tell, did you try burning the Win 8 Pro ISO file to a DVD and boot to the DVD, then choose Custom Install and during the early phase of the installation, choose Disk Options and format the disk you are trying to install Win 8 into, then do the install?

If you follow this format you will have to input the key MS sent you.

It's difficult to tell, did you try burning the Win 8 Pro ISO file to a DVD and boot to the DVD, then choose Custom Install and during the early phase of the installation, choose Disk Options and format the disk you are trying to install Win 8 into, then do the install?

If you follow this format you will have to input the key MS sent you.

that was the first method i tried. i booted off of disk, formatted c:/ and then installed to that directory. no dice. its been almost 4 days and i still have not gotten this OS installed. just ridiculous.

Frankly,this is where I would say "you sob,and threaten to shoot it,just kidding,I wonder what would happen if you were to get a new hardrive???,if you tried every trick in the book,maybe its time to get a new pc????? Ive seen the touchpadnew ones,they're sweet

couldn't have done better myself,I love happy endings,I think you'll love 8 keith,good luck,let me know how it turns out.I used dvd+R,that will work for burning

Hi Keith,

just to run through the basics, I looked at your system and is it fully updated regarding bios and Harddrive updates? Also when you burned the install disk was it at the speed of 4x? Any faster and problems appear..

HP does have it's own advice for your system here:
Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 HP Pavilion p6320y Desktop PC | HP® Support

thanks for the article. looking through there, there is no bios update that i could find for it yet:-/ would the MoBo manufacturer possibly have one their own? didn't think about that... i burned the disc at... 4 or 8. cant remember. i haven't even used the disc anymore. i just gave it the finger after the Nth try and been trying the desktop upgrade .exe utility instead. i just find it hard to believe that my pc would not be supported, when there is supposed to be droves of XP users upgrading. their crap is 11 years old! lol i got mine just 2 years ago. i only want to buy up when i can find one with a dual quad-core and 16gb of ram for about the same price... which may take a couple more years. i can wait. :D

couldn't have done better myself,I love happy endings,I think you'll love 8 keith,good luck,let me know how it turns out.I used dvd+R,that will work for burning

"pc runs great" meaning windows 7 works beautifully. lol :D sorry for the odd wording. i still have to call Tier 2 tonight. so i won't know for sure if there is hope, until then.

Not seeing it mentioned, unless I missed it, have you tried the upgrade process from within Windows 8 Consumer Preview, not touching Windows 7 at all?

Don

Not seeing it mentioned, unless I missed it, have you tried the upgrade process from within Windows 8 Consumer Preview, not touching Windows 7 at all?

Don

no. because i would have to get on p****e b*y or something to get one. i just had the dev preview. not the consumer preview. and i can not find it anywhere. already thought about that option! :p

"pc runs great" meaning windows 7 works beautifully. lol :D sorry for the odd wording. i still have to call Tier 2 tonight. so i won't know for sure if there is hope, until then.

looks like that call from tier2 may take a while. i called back to see if i could be transferred and they said they already have an order in for me to be called, and they will put in another. i should hear from them in 24-72 hrs. gimme a break. i used to work for at&t and tier2 was just a transfer away :D

Hi Keith,
I know it's a long shot but did you apply the firmware update for your terabyte drive?

Hi Keith,
I know it's a long shot but did you apply the firmware update for your terabyte drive?

no. i was not aware they have "firmwares" its just a hard drive. its a WD so i guess i go to WD and put in the model number and see if there are Win8 compatible drivers and/or firmware?? i'll try it. i'm willing to try anything at this point.

i ran the upgade assitant again just for kicks and giggles last night, and the only errors i have are my monitor is not widescreen, so i can not do metro snapping, and my PC will not do secureboot. would secureboot have anything to do with this?

Back