Windows 10 Candid talk from another Forum

Drew

Banned
I have read most of this thread & really, tried to keep tabs on it as it continues to have additions. W/out bothering w/ whether an original Key is lost or replaced, whether an original Recovery partition is lost or replaced when a production OS is overwritten by a beta OS, I'm going to suggest is not nor should be @ issue.

This is the 4th Operating System I have beta tested for Microsoft. IF, one goes by past precedent, you do not go from production OS to beta OS and you do not go from beta OS to RTM or GA. I have not read or heard anything to suggest this being different w/ Windows 10.

We are going to have some Builds of Win10 Tech Preview. Then, around April 2015, there will be Windows 10 Consumer Preview and maybe, more than one Build of it; ALL of which are betas! Until we see RTM & GA sometime, maybe mid-2015.
Now, as I read, "I swapped out my OS for Windows 10, what do I do , now?" or "Can I revert to whatever OS that I had?" or "How do I go back?" or "What confronts me when the GA arrives?" or "I'll be able to go from beta to GA, right?"... it all reminds me of many years ago when SP1 arrived for XP. People saying it was bad, that it broke things or that stuff did not work after installing it. But, it was not bad nor did it mess up anything. Problem was there was something on the page where you got SP1 that said, "What to do BEFORE installing SP1" And if you read that and did what it said, everything was fine. Well, NOW, where one goes to get Windows 10 there are, also, some things to read, as shown below in these excerpts:
(I am only including things that relate specifically to this thread... nothing about what may or may not work in a beta OS or what glitches one can expect.)

Before you install Windows Technical Preview
If you want to go back to your previous operating system

You'll need to reinstall your version of Windows from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media). If you don't have recovery media:
  • For Windows 7 or Windows Vista: Before you update, you might be able to create recovery media from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info.
  • For Windows 8.1 or Windows 8: You might be able to create a USB recovery drive. For more info, see Create a USB recovery drive. If you didn’t create a USB recovery drive before you installed the preview, you can create installation media for Windows 8.1.
Important

Remember, trying out an early build like this can be risky. That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC. Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything.
If you want to stop using Windows Technical Preview and return to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall your previous version from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC—typically a DVD. If you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create recovery media from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. You'll need to do this before you upgrade. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info.
  • After you install Windows Technical Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Point being all the discussion about valid Keys or all the rest in this thread is a moot point. It is all closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. It is why myself & several others since before Vista was Final have warned people & repeatedly said ONLY put beta OSs on VHDs, VMs, spare drives or spare boxes. If not, you, (1) rebuild the prior OS from scratch, SOMEHOW, OR (2) you buy a new machine OR (3) you buy a Retail copy of the new OS. As stated earlier, because, otherwise you cannot revert and you cannot go from beta to GA. 1, 2 & 3 are sad because they all cost money and we may be going from 8.1 & possibly, even 7, to Windows 10 for free.

Fact is you risk losing important files, data, images, docs.
    Fact is there is no pretty way out of the mess. No clever workarounds
    Fact is there need be no such mess in the 1st place.
    Fact is there are warnings.
    Fact is the advisements are there, the recommendations as to what to do and what not to do are provided.
    Fact is, in spite of a threadful of discussion & debate, now you know.
    And you, now, know the FIX...
    you, (1) rebuild the prior OS from scratch, SOMEHOW, OR (2) you buy a new machine OR (3) you buy a Retail copy of the new OS.

Cheers,
    Drew
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

I have days when its hard not to throw the customers computer at them --- then I go make a dinner and de-stress.

I have days when its hard not to throw the customers computer at them --- then I go make a dinner and de-stress.

Oh, that's so funny; thanks for a wee chuckle. Gee, did you empathise & sense a wee bit of frustration in me. You know the old saying, " You can lead a horse to water but, you can't make it read"

Thanks, again... great reaction :rofl:

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

PS: I'm not a big fan of computer user names but, how does someone in NSW come up w/ ussnorway?

The Ussnorway is the name of a ship in downbelow station (C. J. Cherryh) --- a 70’s si-fi about a woman that decides to stop fighting for hate sake and then tries to build something worth fighting for. A lot of writers used si-fi to tell human stories that couldn’t be published otherwise because of the censorship but that’s a different story m8.

The Ussnorway is the name of a ship in downbelow station (C. J. Cherryh) --- a 70’s si-fi about a woman that decides to stop fighting for hate sake and then tries to build something worth fighting for. A lot of writers used si-fi to tell human stories that couldn’t be published otherwise because of the censorship but that’s a different story m8.

Well, I knew it was the name of a ship but, the rest is very interesting. Thanks. I, still, prefer regular names but, hey, that's just a 'my thing', no worries.

Cheers,
Drew

Back