Windows 7 Cannot connect to internet

Gurmo

Hello all,

Sounds like there are a couple of us in the same boat with slightly different problems. I just successfully installed Windows 7 from XP on my PC. However, I cannot connect to the internet.

I know that the connection is working because I and my gf are able to connect via our wireless router and that the netgear wireless router is connected correctly and working. My PC however, is a different story.

When I run an IPCONFIG I get nothing. I mean no information. As in here is my command prompt attached

Link Removed due to 404 Error

When I try network diagnosis I get the following message:

and

Any help? I not really sure which drivers I need. At first I thought it was a Netgear problem but then realized that I can still connect via my laptops. Any help would be appreciated!

Daniel

Check device manager, look for your network adapter. And for that matter any other drivers that are missing.
You need to fill out the system specs for you computer and give us somemore information. See this link Link Removed due to 404 Error we can probably help, but only if you help us help you.
Regards
Randy

Some of the drivers that it couldn't find included Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, and PCI Input Device.

I am also running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Under the Network folder in System Information it does say that I do have a driver. How can I help you to help me? Please! And I appreciate the help too!

Some of the drivers that it couldn't find included Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, and PCI Input Device.

I am also running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Under the Network folder in System Information it does say that I do have a driver. How can I help you to help me? Please! And I appreciate the help too!

Sorry, I thought I was explaining it
Click this link Link Removed due to 404 Error read it and follow instructions.
Or his Link Link Removed due to 404 Error read it and follow instructions
And or finally this link Link Removed due to 404 Error you should be able to edit your system specs here.
Hope this helps
Randy

I just didn't think you wanted everything. I am not really sure as to what it is that you need or if I am opening myself up to the world, but I'm pretty desperate right now:

Last edited:
This is my second post. Hope i put it in the right thread.
I have problem similar to that and i can connect to the base station to the base station but i can't connect to the internet, I have win 7 pro 64 bit
I have a Trendnet TEW-423PI and an airport express (don't ask. Have two macs, built my own PC, needed os, ubuntu didn't run all the apps i wanted it to)
My macs connect with no problems. The pc cannot connect to the base station. Says cannot find correct ip address although when i type ipconfig the ip address shows up.
I don't know what to do
PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOING CRAZY

Last edited:
Gurmo:
Attaching the file was quite sufficient, embedding or pasting the contents into your post was not necessary. Please, if you would, edit that post and delete everything except your own words. I read through the attached file, and there is no network adapter in your PC. I don't mean that literally, I just mean that Windows doesn't see one. So, if the ethernet controller is embedded on the motherboard, please check your bios and make sure that the bios sees it and that it is enabled. If it is an add on card perhaps, it is poorly seated, try turning off your computer, removing and reseating it just to make sure, while you have it out, perform a casual inspection to make sure it doesn't show any evidence of damage and make sure that the PCI contacts appear clean and free of any dirt or other residue. Let me know what you find and please clean up that previous post.

This is my second post. Hope i put it in the right thread.
I have problem similar to that and i can connect to the base station to the base station but i can't connect to the internet, I have win 7 pro 64 bit
I have a Trendnet TEW-423PI and an airport express (don't ask. Have two macs, built my own PC, needed os, ubuntu didn't run all the apps i wanted it to)
My macs connect with no problems. The pc cannot connect to the base station. Says cannot find correct ip address although when i type ipconfig the ip address shows up.
I don't know what to do
PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOING CRAZY:mad::mad:

kars3131:
You may be out of luck for a Win 7 driver, as you can see by going here http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?TYPE_ID=24&SUBTYPE_ID=367 depending on your actual version number there is not much in the way of current drivers. I only found one Vista 32 bit driver (you don't say if you have Win7 32 or 64 bit installed) but if it's 32bit and the version of the driver actually matches the card you have installed you might try installing it in compatability mode. But just in the interest of preserving your sanity you might want to invest in a card that supports Windows 7 natively.

Hey thanks for the help! I've been in the same position and can understand.

So apparently, since most people do not post how their problem was resolved, here is why mine did not work.

I finally contacted Dell who went on to inform me that the network adaptor I have is old. Neither the manufacture of the driver nor Dell, I was told, were going to create drivers for that particular model and I had to update my adaptor. The tech support at Dell told me basically I had to go out and buy another card.

What he did do, however, was to take the specs of my PC and match it what I needed in order to connect to the internet. He suggested that I get a The Belkin Gigabit Network Adapter model F5D5055. Frustrated and desperate, I made the purchase thru them even though I knew I could get it cheaper thru Amazon. The reason is that when the product comes and IF it doesn't work then I can bring up the saved chat log and continue the conversation.

Thanks again for everyone's help and hopefully this will resolve my issue (and maybe others who are posting that Windows 7 isn't working for them!).

Happy Holidays.

Hey thanks for the help! I've been in the same position and can understand.

So apparently, since most people do not post how their problem was resolved, here is why mine did not work.

I finally contacted Dell who went on to inform me that the network adaptor I have is old. Neither the manufacture of the driver nor Dell, I was told, were going to create drivers for that particular model and I had to update my adaptor. The tech support at Dell told me basically I had to go out and buy another card.

What he did do, however, was to take the specs of my PC and match it what I needed in order to connect to the internet. He suggested that I get a The Belkin Gigabit Network Adapter model F5D5055. Frustrated and desperate, I made the purchase thru them even though I knew I could get it cheaper thru Amazon. The reason is that when the product comes and IF it doesn't work then I can bring up the saved chat log and continue the conversation.

Thanks again for everyone's help and hopefully this will resolve my issue (and maybe others who are posting that Windows 7 isn't working for them!).

Happy Holidays.
Gurmo:
You are absolutely correct, too many people fail to post back with any results, like yeah that worked, or nope didn't work, or like you, just letting us know the approach that you are going to pursue. Thanks much for letting us know and post back and let us know how the new card works.

I can connect to wireless but I cannot connect through ethernet cable I already set it up before(and it worked before) but now it says there is no internet access

Okay I also had Ubuntu and installed it now get limited connection for a little while.
Also hotwired it. Connected but still doesn't connect wirelessly. I am an early middle school student so as easy english as you can.:eek:
Hope you come up with more answers
BY the way. IT says (in trouble shoot problems) wireless network doesn't have valid ip config
KSS

I got it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking around and i found the answer.
First i uninstalled the network driver and made win 7 reconize it as a realtek 8185 extensible wireless card.
Then from the realtek site i got xp drivers. I installed the xp drivers and volia it worked. The first time it worked and then it stopped i restarted and it still is working
Hope this helps other people who look at this.
Thanks for you segestion even though thouse wern't the answers
KSS

Hello all, my room mate bought a gateway nv53 from best buy last saturday with 7 installed on it. He had no problems connecting to the router till last night, he was on one minute and lost connection and has not been able to connect again. At the time we all lost signal but i was able to log back on and he was not. I have tried everything but check bios, got an update from microsoft for the antheros adapter, still no go. This is driving me crazy! I went to the gateway site and it said the ser # was not in their records or something like that, not a gateway fan myself. Why would it work one minute and not the next?? We have 3 laptops in this house and the two older ones running xp have no problems, the new one does. I did the ipconfig and did not have much info showing, the device mgr shows it is working, could it be the router?,linksys wrt110? Thank you for any suggestions. Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Anyone? I am cluless. I have re installed everything back to factory set up and still no go, is it possible the adaptor just stopped working at one week old??? Thanks

dlboyd:
You said, you tried everything. So I'm not sure what I can contribute...Have you tried to go into device manager and uninstall the device and then reboot?
I'm not a big fan of Gateway either, I presume this is a laptop and we are perhaps talking about a wireless adapter so have you tried an actual ethernet cable connetion to the router and running windows update. You say ipconfig /all didn't show much infor, well it would be helpful to know what it did show perhaps try posting a screen shot (see attachment)

Thanks, yes it is a laptop, i have deleted and re installed network adaptor and everything else suggested in this thread (i think). When i plug the eathernet cable in i can access the net, i am on the said laptop now. I ran win updatesastnight but i have not since i re installed the original stuff from a partition on the drive. I will attempt to insert this screen shot. Ok i think this will tell you a lot more than it tells me, thank you again.

Sorrry let me get the correct screenshot.

Last edited:
Sorry, there was nothing in the snip about your adapter, please do it again and make sure you refer to my screen shot in the post above referenceing the correct information. I suspect if you would have scrolled up in the command prompt before snipping you would have got it

Back