Windows 7 Cannot delete a certain folder

everix

Every time I try and delete this folder I get the message "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder." This is the only folder I cannot delete on the computer (that I know of). I am the only administrator on this computer. I have tried giving myself ownership of the folder. I have tried booting in safe mode and trying to delete it there. I have tried running Windows Explorer as administrator and that did not work either. I even tried to delete it from the command prompt and it would not let me do it that way. I have absolutely no idea what else to try here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some Info:
User Account Control is turned OFF.
Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and upgraded to it from Windows Vista (not a clean install just an upgrade).
The folder is located in C:\Users\Public\Games

Nope, it is the World of Warcraft Public Test Folder......couldn't uninstall through the uninstaller that came with it either.

It's probably locked by trusted installer.. this will probably give you access to rename, delete etc... run these commans WITH YOUR FOLDER NAME from the command prompt .. then try it.

takeown /f c:\whateverfolder /a
icacls c:\whateverfolder /grant administrators:f

This is working but not working at the same time. I am trying to delete folders with folders inside them and files inside those folders. I have to do for the file to get it to work, instead of the folder. Seeing as there are A TON of files consolidated in all these folders, this would take a long time. Is there some command that I can use to automatically apply that change to all the files in the folder?

Edit: I think i found a command for the "takeown /f......" part. All i have to do is add a "/r" on at the end with the "/a"

The problem is that alone doesn't give me the ability to delete everything.....I do not know what to add to the second command to solve this problem

Last edited:
Back