Windows 7 Cannot Delete File Off Desktop

metafoxx

I just got windows 7. I downloaded a file. It's sitting on my desktop. I cannot delete it. If I move it to the recycle bin, nothing happens. If I right-click and press "delete" I get an error message that says "the file is no longer located here". It's says the file has 0kb. If I try to rename it, I get stuck in this infinite loop of getting an error message every single time I click on anything. Even after trying to re-download the file, I just get a new version of it on my desktop that works and deletes just fine. How the hell do I get this stupid file off of my desktop?

Have you tried restarting your computer. or right clicking in the desktop and hit refresh

I tried both of those, nothing worked. I actually got it off my desktop for a while, then restarted my computer and now it's back again. How do I get this thing off my desktop for good?

I've heard of this happening before.

Start up in Safe Mode and you can then delete it.

Tried that, repeatedly. Nothing works. Am I going to have to wipe my hard drive to get rid of this thing?

Hopefully you do not have a virus. If you right click on the file and look at properties does anything show up? You may have to take ownership of it.

Have you tried making a new folder and moving it into there? Maybe it will inherit the settings of the new folder.

Have you tried starting Windows Explorer as administrator, then going to your desktop folder and trying to delete it?

Have you searched your system for another version. Maybe it is ghosting the file that was not transferred out of the Temporary folder like it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Yes, I've done all of those things. It's still there. It doesn't seem to be doing anything (ie. not a virus), apparantly it's just an icon that won't get off my desktop. I've searched several forums about this and nothing has worked. It seems I'll have to re-format my computer to get rid of this thing.

Just so we are straight, since you never mentioned the name of the icon, it doesn't say desktop.ini, does it?

If you search your user folder, does the icon show up?

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling, try a repair install.

If it was downloaded, maybe you could clear out all of IEs temporary files.

Last edited:
Right-click on the file choose properties, click the Security tab,, click Edit, select Your name in the list and check the Full Control Box, then Apply, then OK.

You may need to restart your computer.

There are also file cleaners out there delete 0 byte files.

Try a Google search as I don't know of any off-hand

Last edited:
Something to check out. I always about winrar because I downloaded it from CNET once and got a virus. The hosts file was rewritten along with some other things.

I did not do a google search for Interval HeHeHe virus.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Here are at lest 20 suggestions that you can try before you decide
it's easier to just format the drive: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Try downloading a freeware program call unlocker

It can be downloaded here although microsoft has blocked the page, just check more options and you;ll find you can download it.

After install, right-click on the icon, choose Unlocker, and under action choose Delete.

If you get a message that it will be deleted on next restart, just restart and see if it;s gone.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Try this first. Open start and type Shell:Desktop. See if you can delete it from there.

Second choice (More daring!)
Openregedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
Double click on NameSpace and check inside each of the GUID folders you can see in there.. If you are able to identify the icon by name, delete it.

I am having the same problem. Mine is just a "File" file. And I did check each GUI folder and cannot locate it. There HAS to be someone out there who can help without giving that all powerful fix it remedy of "Restore Your Computer To Factory" answer. To me that is just not going to fly. I want this file off my computer. It says it is no longer there, then WHY is it still there!? Only answer I can give is "It's Windows".

My thanks to whoever gave me a bad rep for me earlier post, on an almost one year old entry which was referring to a previous beta release.
Merely proves my posts regarding the ease with which merit points can be manipulated.

Last edited:
I found that Unlocker actually works. The file is history! It couldn't find the file, but it gave you an option on what to do with it, so I chose Delete and it was gone! YES! Thank you to the person who gave that suggestion. :)

Back