Windows 7 Cannot install IntExp 10 on 64bit Win7?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
I downloaded the 32bit and the 64bit package for intExp 10 for my 64bit Win7

When I start them I always get a popup

"Internet explorer did not finish installing"
OK

No further error information is given.

Whats wrong?

In general: Since I have a 32bit IntExp 9 on my system I think I can install 32bit intExp 10 as well?

Is this correct?

Or do I have to switch from 32bit IE9 to 64bit IE10 on my 64bit Win7?
Peter

If you are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, it is best to install the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 10. However, you should see this option in Windows Update, instead of having to download it manually. In Windows 8, only the Metro UI version of Internet Explorer 10 is running in 64-bit mode. The desktop version is running 32-bit tabs and the browser frames run in 64-bit, so it is somewhat of a hybrid. If you enable "Enhanced protected mode" in the desktop, you are essentially running IE10 64-bit. Either version will work, but add-ons will be severely disabled and incompatible in the 64-bit version. The version included in Windows 8 is a hybrid on the desktop, and only touch screen users are seriously using the Start Screen version of IE. I would stick with 32-bit.

If I remember correctly, even when installing the 64-bit version, you are presented the option to run in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit, with 32-bit being the default. As for the installation error, make sure you have all Windows Updates installed, run the Command Prompt with elevated privileges and do sfc /scannow. For more details:

http://windowsforum.com/threads/system-file-checker-a-great-windows-fix-tool.19250
http://windowsforum.com/media/system-file-integrity-checker-sfc-protect-windows-integrity.1/media

I downloaded the 32bit and the 64bit package for intExp 10 for my 64bit Win7

When I start them I always get a popup

"Internet explorer did not finish installing"
OK

No further error information is given.

Whats wrong?

In general: Since I have a 32bit IntExp 9 on my system I think I can install 32bit intExp 10 as well?

Is this correct?

Or do I have to switch from 32bit IE9 to 64bit IE10 on my 64bit Win7?
Peter

May I clarify the issue .......
With a 64-bit computer, when you download IE10, you will get BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
32-bit IE10 will be your Default browser for compatibility reason since most programs and software run in 32-bit.In your About Internet Explorer box, it will just say Internet Explorer 10. There will be no mention of the "bitness".In your Start > All Programs list, there is only one Internet Explorer on the list instead of separate entries of 32-bit and 64-bit as in IE9.

You are supposed to use the 32-bit version.If you want to use the 64-bit version, you will need to enable the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.

Please read this article:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals...rk-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

The following is the official download of IE10 for Windows 7...........
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages
Scroll down to the language of your choice ( i.e. English) > click Select you version > select Windows 7 SP1 64 bit > click Download.
Note :
1. You need to have Win 7 SP1 installed first before you can install IE10.
2. you will not be given a choice of IE10 64-bit or 32-bit as they will both be downloaded and installed.

I would suggest that you check out which IE version are you running as of now.
Open IE > top, click Help > click About Internet Explorer > see if you have IE9 or IE10.

If you have IE9 > then go to the link I gave you and install IE10.

This may not be applicable to you, but just in case.....
If you have IE10 > then, uninstall it and reinstall IE10 with the link I gave you.
Start button > in the search box, type programs and features > Enter > left side, click View Installed Updates > scroll down to Microsoft Windows heading to find Windows Internet Explorer 10 > right click > click Uninstall.
Restart computer.

Last edited:
After I had tried to install IE 10 the first time it just stopped working while it was "configuring Windows - Do not turn of" so I had to do a hard reset of the PC. After this I was not able to install IE10, and kept receiving: ‘Internet Explorer Did Not Finish Installing’. After 3 hours of testing I found a solution (which I could not find anywhere online)!

Solution:
Booted in to Safe Mode and run the installer there. It installed with no errors.

Back