Windows 7 Cannot install SP1 in Win-7

n2b

I can install all updates in Win-7 successfully except the SP1. Whenever I try it I finally get an error message (Error #80004005). I've tried the automatic fix but that doesn't do any thing. I have also tried to format my C Drive and load a Win-7 (Pro) with SP1 using a DVD from Microsoft. After going through half of the installation I get a message saying that the installation failed with no clue as to why it failed. I end up restoring everything from my back up
I assembled the computer myself from components and was successful in installing Win XP and a few years later upgraded it to Win-7 (pro) with no problems at all. The following hardware are installed
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66 GHz
RAM : 4.00 GB
32 bit OS
Appreciate any clue as to why the SP1 won't load. Without the SP1 I cannot load IE 11 or get the free upgrade to Win-10

Kemical, Thanks for your response. When I said in my last post that I tried the automatic fix I meant I tried using MS suggestion that I have "MR FIXIT" diagnose and fix the problem. That didn't get me anywhere. I took your suggestion and downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool and after it finished scanning and I presume, fixing the error I tried to install the SP1 update from MS Windows Update. I got the same error messages as before. I am attaching a screen print of the list of 20 errors. What do all these error codes mean. Thanks for your help

Error @ Update - screen print.jpg

Attachments

• Error @ Update - screen print.jpg
    Error @ Update - screen print.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 456
Hi n2b,
I'm so sorry for not answering sooner.

I didn't get any notification that you'd replied..

Apologies once again.

Do you still require some help?

Hi kemical
Yes please. The status is still as described in my last posting

Also can you post what your connection is like to the internet.. Good or bad?

Do you have the Windows 7 install disk?

Hi kemical,
In response to your three postings above. The two anti virus that I use are Microsoft Security Essential and Malwarebytes Premium. I completed the scans with them and got a clean bill with no virus and then disable these two A-Vs before attempting the SP1 update. Just to make sure I went through the above steps and attempted the update again. Got the same list of error messages with an additional one added to the old one I sent you earlier. (See #13 in the attachment of the screen print)
Yes my internet connection is good and reasonably fast at 12 MB/sec.
Yes I also have a DVD I obtained directly from Microsoft. Its a Win-7 Pro (SP1) - 32 bit. I have tried to do a fresh install. It goes through about half way and stops with a message " Unable to install" with no further description or solution.

Attachments

• WIn-7 SP1 update Error Codes.jpg
    WIn-7 SP1 update Error Codes.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 478
  • WIn-7 SP1 update Error Codes.jpg
    WIn-7 SP1 update Error Codes.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 385
I have tried to do a fresh install. It goes through about half way and stops with a message " Unable to install" with no further description or solution.

When you say 'fresh install' are you popping the disk in the drive while windows is running and just clicking start?

Or do you change the boot order and boot directly off the disk?

Anything else plugged in USB wise apart from mouse and keyboard?

Last edited:
Yes I also have a DVD I obtained directly from Microsoft. Its a Win-7 Pro (SP1) - 32 bit. I have tried to do a fresh install. It goes through about half way and stops with a message " Unable to install" with no further description or solution.
Wow!! That part really bothers me!! I guess the disc could be scratched or just plain defective. Strange!;):(

I guess the disc could be scratched or just plain defective.
Well if the op is doing an in place upgrade there could be something stopping the upgrade from completing.
This could be down to a number of things..

Hi! @kemical Yes sir I see what your saying about the up grade to 7.1. Been to long for this old man to remember W7. I have a terrible memory
I guess we better wait and see how they are using their Win-7 Pro (SP1) - 32 bit DVD like you asked post #10
I see why your asking that question now. It blew right by me before!:rofl:

Hi kemical
My so called fresh install is as follows. Not wanting to risk losing what I have now and having tried this SP1 update unsuccessfully so many times, I made a complete back up image of my systems and data in an external drive. Windows OS is on the "C" partition and my data on the "D" partition
I changed the boot order and booted directly from this Win7-SP1 disc from MS and formatted the 'C' drive partition during the installation. This was just to make sure that there wasn't anything corrupted in the hard drive. Half way through the installation it stops and declares that the installation was unsuccessful. Finally I gave up and restored my computer from the external drive --- back to the old Win7. The confusing part is that all the other updates get installed without any problems or hiccups.

In answer to the other questions. Only accessories in the USB port are the keyboard, mouse and the printer. I keep the printer turned off through a master switch so no power to the printer at all. I proved to myself that this disc is not scratched or damaged by using it to do a similar fresh install of the Win7-SP1 successfully on two other computers after formatting their respective hard drives.

I could try RichM's suggestion to do a chkdsk /r. However I would imagine that formatting the partition would have cleared any corrupted stuff. Maybe there are some bad sectors in the HD. Will chkdsk /r identify them?? Could this be a corrupted BIOS?

Thanks to all of you for helping to identify this problem

I could try RichM's suggestion to do a chkdsk /r. However I would imagine that formatting the partition would have cleared any corrupted stuff. Maybe there are some bad sectors in the HD. Will chkdsk /r identify them?? Could this be a corrupted BIOS?
Hi It is my understanding that a chkdsk /r will check for bad sectors and try to repair them. Formatting would not fix bad sectors.
IMHO when chkdsk starts finding bad sectors, it's time to replace it!;)

I could try RichM's suggestion to do a chkdsk /r. However I would imagine that formatting the partition would have cleared any corrupted stuff. Maybe there are some bad sectors in the HD. Will chkdsk /r identify them??

It's an excellent suggestion and worth running (I was going to suggest this next as a general package to see if the pc is running as it should)

Open an admin command prompt and run the system file checker. Type
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await reply.

Let us know how you get on with the scans.

Hi! chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors on the drive and sfc /scannow to check for file violations are always good suggestions IMHO
Either one will cause you grief and always worth trying when having problems.;)

make sure your download its the corrisponding to your pc like 32 bit or 64 bit,
and as you ware told, no antivirus running while updating from microsoft its a nono or installing updates
you ware giving good suggestion from my friend, up the list good luck.
bottom line its a registry conflict sfc /scannow should fix it

Back
Top Bottom