Windows 7 Cannot install updates nor IE10

Skylark13

[Solved] Cannot install updates nor IE10

Hi all,

Windows 7 version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 x64
Computer Model: Dell XPS 8300 (PSU upgraded to 750W)
Motherboard: Stock Dell
RAM: 16GB
Hard Drive: 1TB + 1.5TB both Seagate (ST31000528AS, ST31500341AS)
Graphics Card: NVidia GTX 470
Firewall: Windows Firewall
Antivirus: Avast Free

The problem:
I cannot install some Windows updates. I haven't narrowed it down to the specific updates, but I have 110 updates to install according to Windows Update (because I recently had to do a repair install from my Windows 7 x64 SP1 disc, so I'm roughly at the state right after SP1 came out).

I also cannot install IE10. It may be a related issue or a different issue, I don't know.

For the updates, what happens is this:
  1. I install them from Windows Update.
  2. It says I need to reboot my computer, which I let it do.
  3. Before rebooting, it shows the "configuring updates" screen until it's at 30%, then reboots.
  4. Then after having rebooted, it shows again "configuring updates" until a high percentage, normally 90% or more.
  5. Then it says "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes." for a while.
  6. It then reboots again and when I log into Windows it shows a screen saying Windows Update failed to install some updates.

What I have tried:

• Malware scans with MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware
  • Virus scan with Avast
  • I have run sfc /scannow from an elevated prompt, which said no "integrity violations" were found
  • I ran the "System Update Readiness" tool (freshly downloaded, so the latest version), which did not find any problems.
  • The Windows Update troubleshooter says the following after running:
    • Windows Update error 0x80070057 (2013-07-14-T-09-48-26A) Not fixed
    • Problems installing recent updates Not fixed
    • Check for missing or corrupt files Detected
    • Some security settings are missing or have been changed Fixed
    • Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed
    • Problems installing recent updates Fixed
  • But even after running that troubleshooter, and then rebooting, the updates won't install.

I could try to install updates one by one to try and find the one that fails, but I had started to do that recently and it ended up failing even worse. After installing a few of the updates, the machine would not boot up again after the "reverting changes" message, and I had to boot with my Windows DVD and do a system restore from the recovery tools. So I'm not very keen to start doing that again.

I wonder if there's something in the logs that would help some knowledgeable person tell me what is wrong. I'm ready to post any logs necessary to find and possibly fix the problem.

When I try to install IE10 from the Windows Update page, it just says installation failed with error 9C59. I have googled that error and tried various things (including manually installing each of the required updates), nothing helped. I also tried installing it with the standalone installer. It says "checking for required updates", then "installing" and then "installation did not complete sucessfully" with a link to the same troubleshooting article on MS's site. I have already tried everything that article suggests.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions for finding a solution to this problem. I know from reading other posts that there are some very knowledgeable people on this site, and I've tried everything I could find, so I'm open to anything else that could help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Again replying to myself. I was able to install everything, here's what I did:

• Turns out after my repair of Windows 7, I didn't even have IE9 installed. So I started with that.
  • Then I installed updates in groups of 10. I had two different errors happen, but the suggestions on the Microsoft site when I googled each one actually worked. For the record:
    • I had to stop and restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    • I had to clear Windows Update's downloaded files and log of installed updates.
  • After that installing updates in groups of 10 went smoothly though it took some time.
  • I left IE10 for last, and used the standalone installer to install it instead of Windows Update. When I rebooted after the install, Windows Update still said I needed to install it, but I did Check for Updates and it went away.

That was annoying, but I'm finally up to date...

Back