Windows 8 Windows updates not installing

Oregon33

Hi.....this problem started a few weeks ago on my pc where on updating before shut down, it showed, "we couldn't complete updates; undoing changes". I went on to microsoft support and been through the following stages;

1. Ran the network troubleshooter

2. Ran the Windows Update troubleshooter

3. Renamed software distribution backup folders

4. Download the most recent Servicing Stack Update (SSU)

5. Fix Windows file corruption

Rebooted pc after completing each stage but none have worked. Out of frustration yesterday i tried a System Restore back to the furthest date it would allow, then tried windows updates again. It showed there was seven to install. But when i tried to install them i was back to square one with "we couldn't complete updates; undoing changes". :mad:

My pc is an i7 - 3770 CPU @3.40GHz......8.00 GB ram........64-bit. It came with Windows 8 OS and i have the original software, but i'm on 8.1 so don't want to lose that.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where or what i could try next please?

I found the CBS logs but can't figure how to copy them over to here? Also, cannot find where the Windows Update logs are as there is nothing showing in the C/windows > logs (apart from the CBS logs) ........so am i not looking in the right folder?

It's logged in event logs, but there is a powershell command to dump it to a log. This powershell command will dump it to your desktop

Get-WindowsUpdateLog -LogPath "$($env:USERPROFILE)\Desktop\WU.log"

Follow these steps to solve the Windows update error:
1. Restart the computer, then turn Automatic Updates back on. Open Windows Update, select Change Settings.
2. Under Important updates, click the dropdown and select Install updates automatically (recommended).
3. Click OK to save your changes, and then select Check for updates to download and install any remaining updates.

Back
Top Bottom