Windows 10 Cannot preview image thumbs in any explorer window

mackeinsider

When i import pictures from phone or camera i can not find any setting in Explorer to show thumbnails of them. No pictures in my whole system shows thumbs. This makes it very difficult and time consuming when sorting images. Have i missed something or have Microsoft disabled that feature?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using WindowsForum mobile app

Hi

Open Windows File Explorer and click on View at the top.
Click on the Options Button on the right.

Click on Change Folder and Search Options.

Click the View tab.

Look and see if the option...

"Always show icons never thumbnails is checked."

If it is uncheck it.

Mike

I have already done this, and literally 60% of my thumbnails won't show.
Regardless of them being jpegs, .avi, .mpeg, .bitmap, .jpg, .pdf
and I don't even see the proper icon, all I see is an icon that looks like a white piece of paper with a corner folded, for EVERYTHING
Please - Microsoft need a fix for this!

I have tried the good old 'open with' and 'set as default' and set the videos to WMP and images to W Picture Viewer and still nothing.

It's random also. about half or less thumbs will show, the rest show the white icon.

Hi again.

OK, try this...

Hit Windows Key plus R.

Type... sysdm.cpl

Click on the Advanced Tab.

Click on Settings.

Click on the Visual Effects tab.

Make sure the Show Thumbnails instead of Icons box is checked.

You could try removing the... IconCache.db file and rebooting so it renews the Icon Cache. It's someplace in your Users, AppData folder.

Then reboot.

I don't see much info about this related to Windows 10.
My computer shows thumbnails fine.

Mike

It may also help to know what your default image program is as I supect thats the real issue here... Mike is correct that thumbnails work just fine in WX.

Please right click one of these images that only show as a white box then goto 'properties'... what app opens it?
Screenshot (106).png

Hi again.

OK, try this...

Hit Windows Key plus R.

Type... sysdm.cpl

Click on the Advanced Tab.

Click on Settings.

Click on the Visual Effects tab.

Make sure the Show Thumbnails instead of Icons box is checked.

You could try removing the... IconCache.db file and rebooting so it renews the Icon Cache. It's someplace in your Users, AppData folder.

Then reboot.

I don't see much info about this related to Windows 10.
My computer shows thumbnails fine.

Mike

Hi Mike, as mentioned 'show thumbnails' is checked
-

I followed your steps to double check though... no success

How would I remove the iconcache.db?
Oh I see.. in the AppData.. well I would try, but Windows Explorer / File Explorer doesn't work either.. it gets stuck on 'Working on it" :(

Hi

It's not normal to see all the problems that you are seeing.
It may be time to backup all of your data and do a Reset, unless you do want to go back to your previous version of Windows.

You haven't mentioned what kind of computer you have, how old is it, and what are it's specs?
Most of the people having problems have older computers with hardware that Windows 10 doesn't support.

I have to say that I've been running Windows 10 for almost a year, and haven't seen any of the issues that you are having so there has to be something else going on here.

I have had a lot of issues with sound, starting with Windows 8.1, but I finally gave up on my sound card and switched to my on-board sound and that fixed it.

Other then that, everything that I have runs, even old software and games from the 1990s.

Photoshop, InDesign and all my Adobe stuff works fine, (I did commercial photography and graphic design for 50 years).
I've had InDesign, Phoshop, Premiere and a number of other programs all running at the same time with no problems at all.

Mike

Hello!
I thank your effort to help.
I feel i must say i am a little ashamed, since i discovered i have played around earlier with Yamicsoft Windows 10 Manager and have checked the option to hide thumbnails.
I have forgot that completely.
I am sorry for the trouble and confusion.
Now system runs fine and i can sort my pictures easier.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using WindowsForum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom