Windows 7 Cannot run 1920x1080 in Windows 7 put could in XP

wtfcharles

The title explains most of it. My hard drive crashed on my one pc so I changed to windows 7. In windows XP 1080p to my samsung HDTV via HDMI looked terrible for text but great for video so I stayed with VGA. I had no problems with my radeon 4550 running 1920x1080 60Hz through XP and used that for years. Now with windows 7 1080p via HDMI looks better than it did with windows xp but text still was not clear. I decided to stick with VGA. I cannot get VGA to go above 1360x768 in windows 7. When I set it to 1920x1080 my TV says "Not Supported Mode" which according to the user manual means its not getting an accepted resolution or frequency input. I have it set to 60Hz 1920x1080 the exact same as worked in windows XP. Maybe there is some other small setting hidden away in a menu somewhere that would fix this? If not I get to format my drive and go back to good old XP I guess. Hooray for new "better?" operating systems.

Hi Charles,
I'm just wondering if your running the latest driver? If not, you can download here: Downloads

As for the text not looking so great did you try the 'Clear type text' setting found via the control panel under display?

Which motherboard?

Update the chipset drivers for it from the manufacturer's site.

Also install the monitor driver from Samsung's site.

Update the motherboard bios too.

I have a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L.

Samsung has no drivers for this HDTV. It is not a monitor.

I am using the most up to date chipset drivers and bios.

Have you checked through the CCC menu particularly the section shown in the screenshot?

Yes, I tried changing the resolution through that menu and through the right click screen resolution menu. I guess since i have my windows 7 installation imaged I can go back to trusty old XP and re-image if need be. I don't know why else it wouldn't work.

This web page has a whole list of nvidia drivers: download from Guru3D.com

Why not try a different version? Oh and something that's also peculiar with nvidia drivers is make sure your using the correct version for your country of residence or in other words... If your outside of the US make sure your using the 'international' version of the driver. Believe it or not this can make a huge difference.

Back